BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Hydraulic tappets

Post by Philhod » 24 Oct 2011

[chin] I suppose the spring could have failed thus allowing the pin a cetrtain amount of freedom to rattle

The old Moscobich used to have 2 springs that used to fail regularly. One in the carb and one in a similar configuration to yours only it was the fuel pump.
A permanent cure was to replace them with the springs from an old style telephone rest. 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 02 Nov 2011

Oh FFS! :evil: I planned to remove the vac pump last night to see whether the clatter stopped. Started it to make sure the noise still occurred (so I could just whip the pump off and see if it stopped) and the sodding thing didn't rattle once! Wasted an hour's worth of diesel getting everything up to temperature and nothing.

Oh well, at least I charged the batteries I suppose...
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 03 Nov 2011

:lol: I have a rather expensive hearing aid I don't use......should you be interested :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 02 May 2012

Better late than never - a final (hopefully!) update. The noise was coming from the vacuum pump, which I've now changed and no more tap tap tappity tapping along the road for me. The pin which drives it was fine, so it must have been something in the pump which was worn. I'll try and open it up to see whether it's obvious.
Image Image Image Image