Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Re: Am I mad?

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 31 May 2011

I stand corrected :) (or sit, im easy)
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 May 2011

:lol: :lol: :lol: They use them a lot on R/C models.

You can even get different spring ratings and oil vscosity, depending if you race or have an off roader. :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 01 Jun 2011

After spending this weekend on the Discovery I've gone off the idea of working on cars…although ironically I've probably done more welding this weekend than I need to do on the Stellar! I'm sure once the burns/cuts/aches heal I'll be keen again.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 01 Jun 2011

Having seen the Pics on BXC, i'm envious of that welding, fast neat and functional, you dick.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 30 Sep 2013

Time to resurrect this thread...I fitted a battery to it last week and for some reason that got me all fired up about the idea of getting it (finally!) finished. Have to start a Facebook album for it - it's strange but having people comment on it is kinda encouraging :)
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Oct 2013

whatever turns you on!!

Personally I never give a shit what anyone says good or bad :twisted: :lol:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 01 Oct 2013

thee is something to be said for it actually. When it's all going good I dont care what anyone thinks, but when it's all turning to shit it's nice to see some others encouraging you..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 01 Oct 2013

Finish that fucking Stellar Fenwick!!!

And Doc, how long is that bloody bus taking you man!!

I fully realise this is a case of pot calling the kettle black consider all my 'projects' :twisted:
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 01 Oct 2013

Stinkwheel(Matt) wrote:Finish that fucking Stellar Fenwick!!!
There's a fine line between encouragement and pressure!

Actually though, I think I need a bit of pressure to get things done - I'd been meaning to tidy up a few bits on my BX for years but it's only now the NEC is coming around that I've actually pulled my finger out. One of my mates is kind of thinking of a stag weekend at the Nurburgring if he ever gets married, and if he does it would be nice to go in the Stellar. If they set a date I'm sure that would help, but given they have been together for 12 years without a sign of a ring, I'm not holding out much hope...
Image Image Image Image

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 01 Oct 2013

I know exactly what you mean, i rebuilt a mehari for a mate a few years back, i had it months with no progress, then he told me he wanted it back in three weeks, it got finished in time, just !

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Oct 2013

:lol: For me it just seems to be certain jobs and for no particular reason.

When I'm working on any sort of project I am usually quite organised and usually things don't go to shit (why do I wish I hadn't said that) and they get done on time.
But sometimes things don't really go to shit but things just drag on.

I've been re furbishing my BSA for nigh on 25 years now. I'll have a spurt and then maybe can't source something and it just ...err stops.
Likewise Brian Kings 4X4 G/box. I've had it stripped, sorted the problem, designed and built a jig for the parts to be held in for 3 years now, but can't seem to get anyone interested in machining it for me, so the impetus is lost again.
Most of the time I put it behind me but now and again it annoys the shit out of me and a bit more gets done and stops again.
What I can never resolve is why this happens with some jobs while in the same period I have successfully completed at least 4 major and more challenging projects :? :? :?

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 02 Oct 2013

I almost literally fell over Brian last week in the filling station, he was in his 16v, I knew who he was, he had no idea who I was, even though we've met before...

5 years and 2 months I've had the bus now, it's become a slightly bigger project than I ever thought it would be, but then, aren't they all?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 02 Oct 2013

docchevron132 wrote: 5 years and 2 months I've had the bus now, it's become a slightly bigger project than I ever thought it would be, but then, aren't they all?
Jesus, that long, I shall expect it finished and painted by the time I visit then...
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 03 Oct 2013

not visiting for another 6 years then?
ImageImage

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 04 Oct 2013

18 days he has to finish that fucker off....
Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Oct 2013

docchevron132 wrote:When it's all going good I dont care what anyone thinks, but when it's all turning to shit it's nice to see some others encouraging you..
Exactly. And in my case I've got even more of a result, as a mate has offered a set of NOS Stromberg carbs for it - saves me rebuilding mine :D Still toying with the idea of taking out the 3.5 in unknown condition, and putting in the known good 3.9. But that means going backwards at some stage (by taking out the engine) which I find incredibly demoralising. Once a project has got momentum and everything you're doing is getting it in a better state than it was, there's no stopping me and I work all hours on it. But the initial 'making it worse before it gets better' stage I hate, and tend to put off and off.
Image Image Image Image

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 04 Oct 2013

mat_the_cat wrote:
docchevron132 wrote:When it's all going good I dont care what anyone thinks, but when it's all turning to shit it's nice to see some others encouraging you..
Exactly. And in my case I've got even more of a result, as a mate has offered a set of NOS Stromberg carbs for it - saves me rebuilding mine :D Still toying with the idea of taking out the 3.5 in unknown condition, and putting in the known good 3.9. But that means going backwards at some stage (by taking out the engine) which I find incredibly demoralising. Once a project has got momentum and everything you're doing is getting it in a better state than it was, there's no stopping me and I work all hours on it. But the initial 'making it worse before it gets better' stage I hate, and tend to put off and off.

Couldnt agree more matt.

The point my last cortina project went totally balls up was when the 2.3 lump just wouldnt work right, so i pulled it to put in a 2.8 one. got it in, but had been demoralised by the whole thing then, so i sold it.

I find working on non citroens so much easier and less fiddly, but by god they are boring!!!

Sorry to have had to miss you yesterday, charlotte tells me you may be back this way in few weeks time though?

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Oct 2013

Yeah, I'm just really worried I'll lose heart again - I think if the 3.5 lump starts and runs OK, I'll leave it in for now even though swapping the engine would be easier before the gearbox goes in. Keep the 3.9 for another day as if the whole thing is finished apart from the engine, it's more appealing to work on. It did sound a bit 'dry' on cranking though, that's my main worry. But a bit of oil down the bores should help.

Basically, once I get the gearbox in position I can make up a cross member for it, then I can measure up and make a propshaft, plumb in the clutch slave cylinder, then fill the brake fluid and get the brakes working. Once the cross member is in then I can put the carpet back down, put the interior back in so just by one task I give myself lots more to do.

I find that having a choice of tasks to carry out really helps too - if I get pissed off or demoralised with one then I can start on another and still maintain some progress. So yeah, getting the geabox mount welded in will be the big turning point I think :)
Image Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 20 Oct 2013

I squirted oil down the bores and span it over...sounds a bit smoother although I have zero oil pressure on cranking at least. I'm hoping to fit a set of HT leads this week, but might be best to prime the oil pump before trying to start it. Especially as I've just bought a remote oil filter kit for eBay for the bargain sum of £43!

I need to move the oil filter as it currently sits where the front ARB needs to go, but filter take-off plates with the pipes at 90 degrees seem to be quite rare. The standard ones would still foul the ARB so I'm quite chuffed to find the right one for a decent price.

I've also reinforced the clutch arm, as they can wear through if the clutch is near the end of its life. Can't see me putting enough miles on the car to wear out a clutch, but I might as well reinforce it.

Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Oct 2013

Always do anything that could possibly avoid trouble in future when you have parts on the bench
P hodkinson about 50 years ago :wink: