Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Re: 5th Gear mod for the valver

Post by Vanny » 29 May 2013

Already done the graphs Phil, will post them once i've managed to un ban myself from the forum. And yes you did read that right, i have managed to ban myself. Thank god for the phone eh!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Jun 2013

:lol: :lol: Thou art banned!! Get thee hence 8)

Yes I would be interested to see how they stack up [clap]
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Jun 2013

are you still banned Vanster?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 05 Jun 2013

hell no, nothings gonna stop me, nothings gonna stop me now . . .
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Jun 2013

only I appear to still have access to the MCP, so I could probably have unbanned you. If I knew how to..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 06 Jun 2013

Ah, it wasn't the forum software that had banned me, the server had black listed my IP for defiling it in a public place (turns out it doesn't like having files deleted via a specific server command so spied its arse and barred me). I could get on from my phone and work, just not my main PC!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 07 Jun 2013

could you not just turn your router off and on again?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 07 Jun 2013

Oh how easy that would be. Apparently not. Virgin store your IP on a server, so unlike the old days when you could just turn off and on, when you turn back on now, the server issues you with the IP you used to have. To get it actually changed you have to turn the router off for 4 or 5 days (then the server forgets who you are) or phone through to a call centre, probably in india, and spend a small eternity trying to convince the 'agent' there is nothing actually wrong with the hard ware, you just want a new IP. At which point they will very kindly send out an engineer, who will have even less of a clue on how to change the IP as i do.

Fortunately the server people have a call centre in the US, with a low rate phone number and half way intelligent staff who, via email, managed to unblock the IP. phew
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 08 Jun 2013

that sucks! I'm pretty sure I still get a new IP every time I shut mine down, even briefly.
Not that I tend to these days, it takes fucking hours to find the internet again after a switch off...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 08 Jun 2013

docchevron132 wrote: it takes fucking hours to find the internet again after a switch off...
I agree and reckon it's not down to the broadband but the bloated anti-virus and firewalls we are pressured to run on our computers! :evil:

It's a conspiracy to get us to spend ever more money on purchasing newer and faster computers! :twisted:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 08 Jun 2013

You're running a firewall and antivirus?

God, i hope you didn't pay for the software as well?
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 08 Jun 2013

No, don't pay for that, use the free ones, originally AVG until that got too bloated then AVAST and now that Zonealarm do antivirus too I use the combined edition of that.

Zone alarm support was good too when a problem was encountered with settings. They sent me a clean-up tool to use and re-install it and I think that cleaned off the remaining shards of the previous programs that weren't touched by the uninstall process.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 08 Jun 2013

Urgh, ZoneAlarm, not sure what CheckPoint have done with it, but i get several BSOD's because of it, every week. Might be good as a stand alone, but wrapped in CheckPoint, its a hateful nasty thing.

I use the basic stuff that comes with Windows 7 and nothing more (MSE). Like you i got rid of AVG when it became to bloated.

Viruses turn up because your dipping your wick in the wrong pot, and no amount of protection will make you 100% safe.
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 08 Jun 2013

I still use AVG and with it set up well and Windows stremlined my 800mhz Pocket Laptop doesn't have any problems.
Almost BX-less

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 09 Jun 2013

Vanny wrote:Urgh, ZoneAlarm, not sure what CheckPoint have done with it, but i get several BSOD's because of it, every week. Might be good as a stand alone, but wrapped in CheckPoint, its a hateful nasty thing.
The clean-install tool was the answer to such problems. You remove all virus checkers, run the Clean install tool and then re-install the zonealarm suite and afterwards Robert is your uncle! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 09 Jun 2013

did that, still have the same problem. I suspect it's actually a conflict with the way some specific drivers load up and if they load up before vsdatant tries to kick in. Unfortunately our IT support at work are less use than a cardboard tent in wales!
ImageImage

badlyworntoy

Post by badlyworntoy » 18 Jul 2014

Knowbody will probably listen to this but why not have the best of both worlds and fit a GTI-6 gearbox? Its a common misconception but they do fit in an almost factory fasion.

Only mods you need to do is :-

Swap the clutch arms and fork rod
Swap the gear selector rods
Retro fit a GTI-6 reverse actuator cable (Minor mod to gear stick)
On a GTI 6 gearbox they is no boss to attach the Accumulator assembly, so you either knock a bracket up and attach elsewhere or cut the section out from the BE3 and Tig it in (as I did)

THE FRONT WHEELS/STEERING DO NOT CATCH THE GEARBOX ON FULL LOCK....this is only on LHD models that happens for some reason I can't work out.

Try it you'll be surprised! it absolutley transforms the car, Bollocks to TD Gearboxes folks :D

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 18 Jul 2014

I've got the BE3/6 in the garage to go on mine, the accumulator issue being resolved by swapping the casing.

However, the wheel does contact on full lock, i've seen it on someone elses BX. That was running standard speedlines, presumably your wheels were a different size/offset?
Almost BX-less

badlyworntoy

Post by badlyworntoy » 19 Jul 2014

It really doesn't :wink: it stops about 20mm away.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 20 Jul 2014

while I had collected all the parts required, i just couldn't see any real benefit.

On track the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are plenty close enough for me, 4th and 5th could be improved. Throwing an extra gear in probably would help a little on track, but be of little use on the road when what is really needed is a much longer 5th and little bit longer in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

My conclusion was that for a road car that wants to be used in quick country lanes and casual cruising back to the North West, there was absolutely no point in going through the hassle of building the 6th gear in.

Oh and i too figured it was easier to change the bell housing and extend the housing for the gear carrier than try to make the gti6 bell housing work for the bx.

And as i would probably be running 16" or 17" rims i wasn't too concerned about running out of turn on the wheel. The 17s clear the gear box completely from what i can tell.
ImageImage