Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Way2go
GET OUT MORE
Automated Page Width

Post Author: Way2go » 13 Oct 2014

I discovered a "cool" feature of the new BXC website this weekend that I was unaware of previously. When displayed half screen (width) on Smart TV it is too small to read BUT using the zoom function (I think OS is Google Chrome) the expanded and readable page maintains all horizontal information in the same width by flowing over more vertical rows. :D

The BXP does not do this and it's necessary to pan across the screen to read the site. :( (ie When Zooming BXP for readability this expands both H & V)

A "nice to have" - Any chance Vanny? [pray] :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Automated Page Width

Post Author: Vanny » 13 Oct 2014

If I understand you correctly, on BXC you are zooming in, and the page width is scaled accordingly?

BXP WILL scale the width through to 150% before it hits its minimum width.
BXC will also hit a minimum width, however this minimum width is at 200%.

I will have a look into this at some point, however BXC uses the default and bland theme which is Pro-Silver, while BXP uses a theme called RedSilver which is based on SubSilver2. While they look similar, they are very, very different under the skin so it may not be possible to get good results with 200% zoom.

Incidentally, if you look at BX16v there is a mixture of minimum page widths which makes for some terrible results that i really need to resolve when the next version of KISS Portal comes out.
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post Author: Way2go » 13 Oct 2014

Mmnh, interesting. The zoom levels available are from 50% to 300% and BXC stays true to scaled width over that whole range.

BXP holds scale at 100% down to 75% but not up to 125% and worsens at all other higher levels (50% not good either but I'm unlikely to use that. )

Comfort level is probably 150/200% for my viewing. I guess this feature was developed
mainly for the mobile browsers? Could it be linked to the recent addition of
tapatalk there?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post Author: Vanny » 14 Oct 2014

Tapatalk doesn't have any influence on the theme

Do you 'normally' access BXP through the TV?

I wonder if it is the response to your browser ID that is the response, which means we need to figure out what your browser identifies its self as when you ask for a webpage

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

Visit that page and it will tell you your 'Agent' type, for Chrome on the PC i get

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) 
AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) 
Chrome/37.0.2062.124 Safari/537.36
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post Author: Philhod » 15 Oct 2014

:? Yaaaaaaaawn!
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post Author: Way2go » 16 Oct 2014

I suppose its difficult to say that I normally access BXP through the TV although that is the more comfortable way to browse but its not the easiest way to enter stuff despite the convenience of voice entry. The 'puter still beats the tv and tablet for entry & editing though. :)

The agent stuff looks only slightly different to yours:
Code wrote: Mozilla/5.0 (SMART-TV; X11; Linux armV71

AppleWebkit/537.42 (KHTML, like Gecko

Chromium/25.0.1349.2 Chrome 25.0.1342.2 Safari 537.42
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post Author: Way2go » 22 Oct 2014

Vanny, was there any significance in the above info?

(Phil, No one forces you to enter and read in the Website Chat heading. :wink: )
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post Author: Vanny » 22 Oct 2014

maybe

I did some tweaks the other day, but its not a very high priority at the moment if im honest

Your TV is running old browser versions, but not old enough that it should make any difference. BXC will shrink much further, partly because of the slidy section on the left here, even though it slides away, it is remembered and so the width is still virtually wider. This can in theory be fixed, but it will take me time to sort.
ImageImage