BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Terry
Location: No.1 at the end of the bar...[in the Milton Arms,Rotherham]

Stiff rear susp.

Post by Terry » 26 Mar 2008

Hi all ..............I've been pm'd by a guy on a 'bike forum I frequent.
It seems this guys got a Xant and the rear suspension is "rock solid" .............he's suspecting a blocked valve or knackered rear spheres .......he's "raised and lowered the car whilst oiling the rear struts" .......the front suspension is OK,but the rear is "rock solid,just like as if it was on the highest setting"....I'm guessing it must/might? be a late model Xant 'cos he sez "my other Xant used to sink,but this one stays up" ...............suggests to me that its the model with the non-return/non sink valve fitted.
Now I know its a Xant :oops: ............but can one of you learned persons point me in the right direction to suggest what may be the prob with his car.
Cheers guys.
Tel.
I've reached the same conclusion in life as my dog ....if I cant eat it,drink it,hump it or fight it ........I'll just piss on it,and walk away.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 26 Mar 2008

£100 says the connection to the rear HC has failed, its a crapy bit of plastic and i job even i have done on a xantia!! That is on the ground that he has moved the lever up and down but the arseend hasn't actually moved! And monopoly money too
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Mar 2008

I've not come across what our Master says /\ but assuming the height is correct and it's a hydractive 2, then I'd guess either

the rear spheres are fooked, they fail before the fronts on a Xantia (or so I've heard) rather than vice versa on a bx, or it could be...

The anti-sink valve. It opens once the pressure on the anti sink sphere is equal to that of the rear suspension system. The one on our Xantia nearly always fucks up and opens without the pressure being equal. When it does, the back drops suddenly, but rises back up to self correct.

How many miles since the spheres were replaced? It's recommended for 40,000 miles for the rears *I think...
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Terry

Post by Terry » 26 Mar 2008

He sez its "got new looking rear spheres on" ...and wonders "if a previous owner has replaced the spheres without solving the problem"
I'll forward all suggestions .............cheers lads.
btw .......its odd,but I've had my BX for 4 years now,and I've learned virtually fcuk all about it .......'cos although it looks like a shed .......there aint really a lot gone wrong with it.
Tel.
I've reached the same conclusion in life as my dog ....if I cant eat it,drink it,hump it or fight it ........I'll just piss on it,and walk away.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Mar 2008

Kiss of death that last comment mate, kiss of bloody death!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Terry

Post by Terry » 27 Mar 2008

:shock: [chin] :? ...I thought that /\ ....just after I'd posted it ........... :roll: ............is there a smiley for "worried frown" ..... :?:

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 27 Mar 2008

Terry wrote:He sez its "got new looking rear spheres on" ...
Mmmh...... [chin] , that green paint always usually keeps in good condition so does that really tell anything? If the spheres are good, shouldn't there be some "bounce" even if the height corrector has said "reach for the sky" and then gone to sleep? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 27 Mar 2008

I have heard amal nitrate is good for loosening a stiff rear end.
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 27 Mar 2008

If the back end of the car stays high, as Vanny says.
If the rear end rises and falls in accordance with the control lever then it'll be flat spheres.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Terry

Post by Terry » 27 Mar 2008

Cheers guys [bow] [clap] ........I've forwarded the guy all your answers & comments [and a linky for this page ............hope you dont mind Vanny :wink: ]
Thanx lads ..........it's nice to be able to help a fellow 'biker/forum* member out via our forum. [wave]
*MT500/HD350/CanAm250 Riders Club [ex-Army Rotax engined 'bikes] .............for any of you who might have been wondering :wink:
Tel.