Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Re: XUD11 head on XUD7?

Post by David » 04 Jan 2009

I was indeed talking about the 306/405/zx top mount 1.9TD intercooler. It's identical to the 309/405/BX top-mount intercooler.

... which is in fact more effective than the front mount intercooler. The front mount one should be better, and yes, it doesn't suffer from heat soak from the engine, but the top mount one has much much shorter pipework, and providing it has enough airflow to it (which they often don't, mainly due to design faults on some cars*) then they work very well indeed.

*Just to elaborate on that... the 405 is one of the worst for this. There is no way that air can actually get blown through the front panel to get into the bonnet liner air duct. I've modified a couple of 405's now with the ventilation holes it needs, and the difference is noticeable.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Jan 2009

Hi Bandit
I`ll explain that better..............................................................

:D Yeah but the water just stays in the box, it`s not connected to the cooling system and the colder air flowing round it, keeps it`s temp at between +2 and 20 degrees Winter to summer.
That`s why I didn`t sanction the bonnet mod as the below freezing air could overcome any transitional heat from the engine and freeze the water.
Any resulting burst could allow the engine to breathe in a dose of H2.O, with the usual consequenses :( :(
The guy moved up to the lakes after about 6 months, so I don`t have any info on the cars performance/demise, but he was very appreciative of the results from the mods :)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Jan 2009

Philhod wrote:yorkshire fittings.

What the hells that then???

Is it tighter than a ducks arse?! :lol:
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 04 Jan 2009

docchevron1472 wrote:
Philhod wrote:yorkshire fittings.

What the hells that then???

Is it tighter than a ducks arse?! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll see about moving the i/c....it's tempting to put a bucket of ice cubes on top each journey :lol:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Jan 2009

:lol: :lol: You dont need ice cubes with that set up....

.....Err...Yorkshire fittings [chin] Well...err... it`s a plumbing type thingy, they are specially prepared copper joints, with the ends, swaged a bit bigger to take the straight copper tube of the same size and come in a range of sizes, Half way down the swaged bit there is what looks like a ring, from the outside, which is formed hot at the same time as the swaging. From the inside this is filled with solder. You just clean the end of the pipe, smear some flux on it, push it together, play your gas torch on it and voila, permanent joint.
All this of course, is no longer necessary, for new technology would now allow you to use plastic pipes, with bigger diameters and push in joints. I could probably make the water tank out of plastic as well now!!!

wow it`s a plastic world out there. 8)

If anyone is still there They got their name coz they were developed by Yorkshire Imperial Metals :wink:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Jan 2009

Ahhh, not heard of them before like...

I think I may have joints a bit like that on the saloon radiators on the bus...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 05 Jan 2009

Philhod wrote: All this of course, is no longer necessary, for new technology would now allow you to use plastic pipes, with bigger diameters and push in joints. I could probably make the water tank out of plastic as well now!!!

wow it`s a plastic world out there. 8)
[chin] Mmmh..............I dunno Phil, the point of metal is that it has a high heat conductivity whereas plastic is an insulator with therefore poor heat conductivity. And in the heat exchanger (intercooler) game the aim is to get the maximum of heat/cold transfer from one side of the divide to the other. Metal fins attached to the metal pipes are to increase the surface area to make the conductivity of heat/cold even more efficient.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Jan 2009

:? Now why didn`t I think of that? :oops:

OK, I`ll stick with the copper pipes, (you can get push fit joints for these now) :roll:

But it could make sense to make the box from plastic. You don`t need fins, that was the point of using water. The whole surface area of the pipe run is at a constant temperature. :)

tomsheppard
TROLL

Post by tomsheppard » 05 Apr 2009

There is one obvious point here.

There ain't no substitute. for cubic inches*

2.1 block with an 8 valve head.

(*Carrol Shelby)

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Apr 2009

[chin] Mm,. I thought about sticking the 19 head on the 21, but I don't know shit about the 21

so didn't offer anything 8)

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Apr 2009

I've been planning to do that for ages, just never got round to it!
I've already got a big 8 valve head so I just need the block really!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance