BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: PAS Failure

Post by Philhod » 09 Jul 2011

nooo! dont touch the bellow! it'll most likely disintegrate!
Well no obviously if they are fucked, :lol: I just fitted new ones to K39.

Cylinders:- I dug out all the corrosion on a couple, before I left college, and TIG welded them all up. Took out piston, filled with water before welding though.
One has been on for some time and works ok. I fitted my last good one to the other side.
The other welded one I passed to someone else.
I have a third one I cleaned up and repaired with magic metal. Lasted 2 days :oops:
I could weld that one up if anyone is desperate.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 10 Jul 2011

Today i have stripped and cleaned out the FDV, there was nothing wrong with it or its filters :evil:

So, as it's now highly unlikely to be crap in the pinion valve does anyone have any further suggestions?
Almost BX-less

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 Jul 2011

From your own process of elimination, isn't the only thing left, the Ram itself? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 10 Jul 2011

Can't see how, the pinion simply lets the fluid flow one way or the other, as the ram isn't physically leaking I doubt it's that...

I'm curious as to whether the Security Valve could be causing the steering supply to be cut off (but i'm not entirely certain of its operation)?
Almost BX-less

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 Jul 2011

jayw wrote: I'm curious as to whether the Security Valve could be causing the steering supply to be cut off (but i'm not entirely certain of its operation)?
I wouldn't have thought so as this surely is to prioritise brake operation in a fluid pressure emergency
From the pressure regulator, fluid passes to the security valve which has pipe connections running to the compensator control valve and the front and rear suspension height corrector units.
The FDV diverts the steering fluid before the pressure regulator as I understand it so the Security valve is not involved in the steering circuit.
However, if one or more of your struts/components in the suspension circuit is pissing LHM past its seals into the return circuits, maybe you do not have sufficient back pressure at the FDV for it to divert anything to the steering???
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Jul 2011

easiest way to check, undo the pipes to the ram, you dont have to remove them, just undo them. Start car, get a willing assistant to trune the wheel in either direction. Lots of fluid pissing out at pressure, then the rams fucked, no pressure and little fluid? Either the pinion, or massive pressure loss elsewhere in the system..
To check the struts / cylinders, remove the RETURN pipes, not the vent pipes on the rear cylinders, and measure fluid loss over 2 minutes at idle.. Work the car up and down, how much fluid loss from each then?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 11 Jul 2011

docchevron132 wrote:To check the struts / cylinders, remove the RETURN pipes
Did this, offside is dry, n/s has a little LHM but less than a drip...

Could it be a weak pump (low pressure) even though i'm getting 45 seconds between the ACC cutting in? Also worth noting i don't hear a definite "click" sound like i have on others, it cuts in and out fine just it's VERY quiet...

Need to sort this before i can sell it with a clear conscience.
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 12 Jul 2011

not the rear cylinders then.
Could be a weak pump, how long does it take to go from low to high on the suspension?
Moreover, when it's in low, then you move the lever to high, how long does the low pressure warning light stay on?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.