BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Nov 2011

Spent the day throwing another gearbox in the TD whilst the usual crowd of onlookers stood around and generally got in my fucking way..
Anyway, whilst the replacement box is infinitly better than the one that came out, in as much as it has synchro's, goes into gear without needing to kick the fucking stick and doesn't sound like an AKAK gun when idling, the bloody bering noise is STILL there.

I've replaced everything, all 4 wheel bearings, both front hubs, BJ's, drop links, ARB bushes, wishbones, driveshafts and now the gearbox, but still when you go round a corner at road speeds over 30MPH there is this fucking bearing grumble, that is getting louder. Everything is tight, the new bearings feel fine, even when spun up. I simply dont know what else to do to shut this fucking noise up. When it started it was only right hand bends, but now it's right or left bends, although more prevelant on RH corners, and just occasinally you can hear it when in a straight line. But only over 30MPH. 29MPH you can hoon it round a bend as hard as you like and nothing, nothing at all, but 30 or above there it is, sounds like a grinding scraping kinda noise, infact, it sounds exactly like a fucked wheel bearing and behaves as such, ie load it up in a bend and it gets worse.
It's definitly road speed related not engine speed, makes no odds if it's in gear, on overrun, out of gear coasting, clutch in or out, or even engine running or off.
There is nothing fowling the wheels (handbrake cables etc) the calipers have been changed but the old ones were fine (front and rear) so I'm at a total loss. This noise is becoming so loud you can hear it over the stereo regardless of how high the volume is, you cant feel it through the steering though (and yes the rack has been replaced aswell).
I'm increasingly inclined to ignore it, but it shouldn't be there, is getting louder and it really sounds serious, like, if it were a wheel bearing making that much noise I'd expect the wheel to fall off.
Anyone got any ideas at al beforer I fucking torch the fucking thing?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Post by Philhod » 20 Nov 2011

Long driveshaft ctr brg? Diff rollers?...well you didn't mention those and they fit the description.

Tyres? what are they like, apart from being black and roundish, that is :P
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 20 Nov 2011

replaced the driveshafts mate, more than once, and the gearbox complete.
Tyres have also been replaced with shiny new Uniroyal Rallye 550's, and if I swop the wheels to the valver the noise isn't replicated on that car...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Nov 2011

:) Industrial deafness has it's good points 8) Turn up the radio? check the pads are not touching. The handbrake adjuster sticks sometimes.

You seem to have covered everything at the front. Could the noise be being transported from the back somehow?
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Nov 2011

I'm sure it's at the front, but I have changed the rear wheel bearings and calipers, and discs all round with pads.

There are no back plates on the back...

I'm convinced it's a wheel bearing though, so much so I swopped the hubs over this morning, no change. Swopped the wheels over, no change..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance