General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Andy Missen

Seat for my estate

Post by Andy Missen » 06 Jan 2012

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum thing so please forgive me for any mistakes, basically we owned a couple of diesels some years ago and they both gave up the ghost at the same time.Here we are 6 years later and find ourselves owning another 2 diesels and very happy with them both.My girlfriends saloon is lovely and she's well made up with it.My estate is really good but a bit rough round the edges and is gonna need a bit of TLC but it drives nice and has been reliable to date so I'm pretty chuffed with it.The first thing that i need to do though is find a drivers seat as the present one is only just doin the job (the seat goes too far back and will not come forward at all so its like driving while laying down !!!) so if anyone knows of a black seat with red pin stripes I'd be grateful for the input.I love these cars but dont know a great deal about em (but am willing to learn) so hopefully with a bit of help and advice will be able to tackle most jobs to keep em running and on the road. Hoping to speak to someone soon, take care everyone, Andy M.

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Seat for my estate

Post by Vanny » 06 Jan 2012

The back rest windy windy is driven from the manual gear by a rubber belt, it could be that this belt has failed, on gone soft. Try winding the seat forward while pressing the back of the seat forwards, this sometimes helps reduce the load and allow the belt to move freely.

If you take the trim off the base of the seat on the door side (should be one screw) then you might be able to determine the fault and fix it up.

The covers are interchangeable between all but the 16v seats, so if you can't find a seat with matching covers/trim you can always swap them later. This only requires a philips and a flat head screw driver. Generally the seats don't brake, but wear out (become saggy etc) so look for a replacement with good foam underneath.

I don't think i'm too far from you, and always happy to tinker with others cars, though i'm not available until March ;)
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 07 Jan 2012

Welcome!
I dont have any red pin stripe seats, but I'm pretty sure I have some seats left somewhere...
Although I'd be amazed if it can't be repaired, as Vanny said, it's usually either the belt slipping, or I've seen them before where the plastic cover on the side of the seat gets mangled into the winder and wont allow it to turn clockwise..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Jan 2012

Welcome on mate. Did that guy give you all the spares I sold with it? there were a couple of front door cards adorned in the colour you have. They were good and only needed a clean.

Sorry I was a bit vague when you rang. I have had a bit going on here over christmas as you will read elsewhere on here. :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Andy Missen

Post by Andy Missen » 07 Jan 2012

Hey you lot thanks for that advice. Vanny, yeah i'm not a million from you so thats cool as I know sod all about these cars.Docchevron, good advice chap, am really grateful for the input, and Phil, we all have these vague moments in fact I have more of those than the unvague ones !!! Yeah the lad gave me all the bits Phil I have yet to find time to look thru it all.Once again thanks and take care.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 08 Jan 2012

Did the wiper switch work OK mate?
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 Jan 2012

Never got a wiper switch Mat, You sent me the driving lamp switch thanks, which I fitted and wired the lights to a connector, but never got chance to connect lights to switch.
As I said before , wiper works with a direct feed to the connecter block behind the switch, so all it needs is a replacement switch.
Doc had offered me one when you also offered Mat. I was going to swap Doc the switch for an HP pump I have for him, but we never got round to doing the swap. :roll:

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 09 Jan 2012

I was asking Andy, as he's got the switch you were going to have if you know what I mean!
Image Image Image Image

Andy Missen

Post by Andy Missen » 09 Jan 2012

Hi there Mat, to be honest i havn't had the time to do it yet but its gonna slow up a bit now workwise so am hoping to find time to do variuos bits and bobs on the cars. Will let ya know either way, kindest regards chap.

Andy Missen

Post by Andy Missen » 26 Jan 2012

Hi everyone;well had this bloody seat out of my estate yesterday and I think it is knackered. The belts are good and working and the plastic covers are sound.I think that whoever had it before me must have leaned so hard on it cos it seems like the frame is sprained and twisted.We tried the action of pushing from the rear and it worked for about an hour of driving then back to square one.Did someone say the seat covers are interchangeable?Anyway if anyone has one or knows of one please tip me the nod as the car is bloody hard to drive when you cant see over the bonnet cos your laying so far back !!!!Take care folks.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Jan 2012

Another option would be to set it to the right position for you and thenfix it there either with some weld or drill it and bollt a stay in position [weld]