Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Wings

Post by mat_the_cat » 09 Dec 2009

On the subject of a lighter glass, I remember once reading a tip about shining a 500w floodlight or similar where you are working so you could make things out a bit better. I found the damn thing a pain in the arse as I kept burning myself on the lens so I splashed out £30 on an automatic mask from eBay, similar to this one. Best thing I ever did regarding welding!
I haven't compared it to any of the pro quality ones, so I don't know if they are worth the extra cost but I've found it makes life so much easier. And I haven't gone blind yet...if I did it wouldn't be from welding.

Edited to improve my crap spelling...
Last edited by mat_the_cat on 09 Dec 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 09 Dec 2009

:lol: :lol: :lol:
autodim masks are FTW x eleventy billion.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 09 Dec 2009

Okies, first off Bandit, this ain't the first time i've welded, i've been welding for years but nearly always with stick on thick bits of metal where imho it much easier you can get a huge amount of penetration without worry of blowing holes etc. All the MIG i've done has been less than 10's of yards of welding up 2mm box section, and being able to move the workpiece about in order to always weld from above, usually someone else has set the welder for me first! Oh and its been with a many hundreds of pounds welder not a shitty Cosmo one.

So you see i'm a beginner, but not totally a beginner.

On the subject of masks and light, i'm using a bright light above the work piece (although me thinks it needs moving a little) as i hate starting a weld blind. I have a nasty habit of setting up, drawign down the mask and moving my start point. I totally agree with auto dark shields, worth the weight in sex. But I don't have the money for a cheap one, and dont want to buy a cheap one either! Having experienced the difference between a £200 and a £30 visor, my moneys on the £200. That said i'll probably wreck it so there isn't much point in the minor gains a £200 version will give!

Phil, on the shears front you can bang that drum as loud as you want but as i've said i paid my money for a good and expensive set and they haven't done me any good. Best bet (by far) is a metal cutting bit in a jig saw for thin (ish) metals, or better still a propper metal bladed band saw.

I might just start from scratch to be honest.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 Dec 2009

By all means use the grinder but leave surplus on and get a 1" dia round wheel for your drill.
They are about 3/4 thick and come with an arbour that fitz in your drill (well they used to anyway). Then you can take out any, err, irregularities with that.
With thin sheetwork you need to present the best possible assembly for welding, the extra time and care are well worth it.

On the subject of sundym glass. I'm afraid they are only any use to people with good eyesight.
If you wear glasses the laminates in the glass cause reflections while you are working and my eyesight is sadly not good enuff anymore.
Most are set to EPW 13 but you can get different setting with the most expensive ones.
To give you some idea of what that means, I am now down to a EPW 9, to see where I'm going :roll: :lol:
If you're using a normal set up in your headscreen Vanny, the secret is to tighten the side screws until they will support the screen in the up position....just.
When you're about to start, get in position and just nod your head...jobbed :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Philhod wrote:If you're using a normal set up in your headscreen Vanny, the secret is to tighten the side screws until they will support the screen in the up position....just.
When you're about to start, get in position and just nod your head...jobbed
Or, work in good light so you can see thru the mask all the time.

To be honest, i've just this last minute lost a lot of interest. It's not like i can drive the car on the road in the next few years. And i'm never going to have the time to do it justice. My life on the motorway is rather consuming and leaves no time for anything else.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 09 Dec 2009

Job for the longer summer days then mate!

I wasn't meaning to imply anything about your mig experience mate, just explaining my version of events that occurred in my little brain!

However, you need a damned good shoeing for going to Halfrauds!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Bx Bandit wrote:I wasn't meaning to imply anything about your mig experience mate, just explaining my version of events that occurred in my little brain!
I know, i was just giving you the back ground.

I've always dreaded having to do anything on a car, and now i know why, cars are shit.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 Dec 2009

I've always dreaded having to do anything on a car, and now i know why, cars are shit.

:roll: Someone's had a bad day :(

Just a tip from me.
Diarise in time for some work, 2 hrs max. Write up a plan of what gets dun in what order.

Do your 2 hrs, stop. Tick off yer list anything dun. (well it works for me) [coat]

OH! I forgot prepare to change plan as required :lol: :lol: 8)

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Dec 2009

Bx Bandit wrote:Job for the longer summer days then mate!
Everything is better in the summer..
Maybe we should have a BXP marathin sesh on Vansters motor in the spring or some shit and get that bad sonabitch done in a weekend??
Like, each take on a different aspect that we actually enjoy.
I hate welding, but I will weld if required, I can spray (not fucking Halfrauds shite in a can though) and like doing oily bits.

So... Hows about it lads. Lets get the ginger leader flying in Jazz..
Bandito wrote:However, you need a damned good shoeing for going to Halfrauds!
Agreed. Consider your bad self shoed Vanster!
Vanny wrote:I've always dreaded having to do anything on a car, and now i know why, cars are shit.
Oh god aren't they ever. Having spent 13 hours straight biried under the pink shed on Sunday I was less than impressed and seriousley considered getting an AX GT instead.
Happier now it works again though (until it breaks again next week).
I've always found with any project, it always takes longer than you expect, and when enthusiasm wanes having a blast in it always re-kindles that enthusiasm. Granted, that isn't always possible...

Get yourself a bus mate, much more fun!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 10 Dec 2009

I enjoy welding (although not the prep) and wiring, although my main useful skill would probably be to trip over any hazards in your workshop and injure myself - thereby giving you someone to laugh at and hence cheering you up!
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 Dec 2009

Agreed, cars are shit, and going for a blast does help re-kindle the love, but only if there is a level of improvement proportionate to the amount of effort - which there seldom is.

I'm happy to completely fuck up Jazz, which is probably what I'll do if I wield a mig torch at it. But yeah, other bits no problem, or i could be the tea maid?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Dec 2009

Oooooooh!
Bandit in a pinny, and nothing else.... I need to be al..oh wait, all over.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Dec 2009

:) All over what? hand, trousers, :lol: :lol:

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 Dec 2009

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'll put boobies on and evryfink!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Dec 2009

Oh god, thats twice!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 11 Dec 2009

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ahhhhh, I love making you jizz! :o :oops: [coat]

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Dec 2009

Right then That's The Vansters motor to fix.
I'll do owt, oily bitz, Fabbing up patches, welding......,anything except watch those to in leathers and pinny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

:lol: :lol: We may struggle in his garage space wise, to fit us all in like!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Dec 2009

I'll work outside then

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

You do that, but the leather and pinny will probably be out there with you, a garage holds no place for leather and pinny!