BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

bollocks

Post by mickey taker » 29 Nov 2007

have noticed a bit of clutch slip tonight accompanied by a burning smell :oops: the cars ok at low revs but if I try to boot it the clutch slips above about 3 1/2 thousand revs

can the clutch be adjusted or do you think the smell means its too late for that

how hard is it to change a clutch on the valver ?
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 29 Nov 2007

its easy to change a valver clutch, my personal best (start to finish) is three hours!! They are a little harder than a normally aspirated diesel though. To be honest i'd be looking at two days if your doing it yourself, give or take. Theres nothing actually difficult about it, just takes some time, and i always find points where i'm swearing a lot (usually because i'm doing it all by myself) yet i know its going to work because it always has!

it can be adjusted though!
ImageImage

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 30 Nov 2007

Adjustment will only work if it's really badly adjusted in the first place. Where's the clutch bite at the moment? If it's really REALLY high (like about an inch below the top of the travel) then adjustment may help. However, if the bite point is normal then the clutch has had it for sure.

Changing a clutch isn't difficult, it's just a faff. It means dismantling the suspension and removing the driveshafts which I find just a complete arse.

The other pain of the job is lifting the gearbox back into place. It's not massively heavy but it is unwieldy, and balancing it on top of a trolley jack is precarious. I've used an engine crane and my gantry before now and that does make it a fair bit easier, but it's still several hundred times easier to do with the engine out.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 30 Nov 2007

i just climb under the engine with the gearbox on my chest, seems the easiest way to do it, only other thing i've found is to string it up on dynamic climbing rope, that way the rope takes the load AND still moves up and down, which is useful!

Got to think about it, but i'm not sure i have ever done a BX clutch with the engine out, i always split the box and put them back in separately :o
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Nov 2007

I have to say Saturday is looking grim for a visit I'm afraid mate, but it looks like a weekend visit with a cutch change and heater tap is in order.
Sorry about this weekend, but things are just to precarious to be far away right now.
But I WILL make some time for you ASAP and sort it all..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 30 Nov 2007

docchevron1472 wrote:I have to say Saturday is looking grim for a visit I'm afraid mate, ..
thats cool , I was going to put you off anyway because of the situaition with Kate ,

I would have hated for you to be up here and something kick off down there , get that resolved first mate

shes very lucky ( as indeed we all are here ) to have you as a friend.

I really mean that .
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

so is the valeo clutch that euro car parts sell ok

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/S ... esults.asp

or should I go for this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPORTS-PERFORMANC ... dZViewItem

Vanny
Site Admin

stay well away from the 'sports clutch' having read the listing, it sounds like total wank! Valeo is good though.
ImageImage

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

thank you

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Nov 2007

Thanks for understanding mate.
It's not the best situation right now, and I'd much rather do a clutch than try and look like a bodyguard, but there we go..

Valeo's fine, sports clutch.........waste of money...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

docchevron1472 wrote:
Valeo's fine, sports clutch.........waste of money...

piss off and say soemthign original :P
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Nov 2007

Ooooh Suggs, stay well away from the 'sports clutch' having read the listing, it sounds like total wank! Valeo is good though.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

god i know i'm brilliant and immitation is the highest form of flattery but this place is starting to get creepy!
ImageImage

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 30 Nov 2007

I'd go with the valeo clutch as they're known to be ace. That "sports" clutch sounds iffy at best.

:wink:
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

i especially like this bit ........

"Oooooh, I can do a clutch in 3 hours......oh...la-di-da........but I'd suggest 10 weeks to anyone else cos I'm brill"................... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

n.b. Heavy use of smileys to suggest highly carcastic posting!! (note to admin: Need tounge-in-cheek smiley.... :roll: )
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

i said my personal best was 3 hours! There is a difference! It typically takes me a day (sometimes a day and a bit dependant on when i turn to the bottle), but my first one took 3 weeks!!!!!

but a decent realistic time is two days for someone who isn't doing it all the time. I think so far in my illustrious career the BX has been by far the best designed car for doing the job on.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

only teasin' matey, i likes takin' the piss see :wink: If you like doin them that much, you can come and put mine back in!!!!! I'll see how your productivity increases once I start waving the ale infront of yer eyes..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

barnsley bxer
Part of the decor

Post by barnsley bxer » 30 Nov 2007

Vanny wrote:i said my personal best was 3 hours! There is a difference! It typically takes me a day (sometimes a day and a bit dependant on when i turn to the bottle), but my first one took 3 weeks!!!!!

but a decent realistic time is two days for someone who isn't doing it all the time. I think so far in my illustrious career the BX has been by far the best designed car for doing the job on.
I beg to differ.Try a 85 Cavalier 3/4 hour start to finish.Fabulous design.Should have been made compulsory on all cars
Evening news is where they begin with 'Good evening', and then proceed to tell you why it isn't

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

45 mins! :shock: Is that the 'one I've prepared earlier' approach or is it a case of jump up and down on the old one cos it'll fall off in a mo' and stick the next one on with double sided sticky tape? Either way, shep would be a pain in the friggin arse!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vanny
Site Admin

barnsley bxer wrote:
Vanny wrote:i said my personal best was 3 hours! There is a difference! It typically takes me a day (sometimes a day and a bit dependant on when i turn to the bottle), but my first one took 3 weeks!!!!!

I beg to differ.Try a 85 Cavalier 3/4 hour start to finish.Fabulous design.Should have been made compulsory on all cars

how can you beg to differ with my personal experince? I can guarantee you i have NEVER done a clutch on any Vauxhall (have done a Fraud Focus though, now that is a SHITE design!
ImageImage