General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
jonathan_dyane

Dead hard drive? Stick it in the freezer...

Post by jonathan_dyane » 21 Jul 2009

My hard drive died last month, and of course there was stuff on there which I hadn't bothered to back up, and was rather important. Today I came across a computer forum with a posting that suggested that you can often get a fucked hard drive to work for long enough to rescue data by giving it a session in the freezer [chin]

Despite being somewhat skeptical, I thought what have I got to lose (aside from frying a board in my computer anyway...) and having wrapped the drive in clingfilm I nestled it between some frozen peas and some chips.

Retrieved it after a few hours, plugged in my IDE - USB cable, and lo and behold the drive mounted and I was able to rescue what I needed :D :D :D

Sounded like a bag of hammers but...
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Dead hard drive? Stick it in the freezer...

Post by mat_the_cat » 21 Jul 2009

What was the problem with the hard drive - if it cures the 'click of death' I'd be very interested! I.e. the head moving over the platter and continually crashing into the stops.
Last edited by mat_the_cat on 21 Jul 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

jonathan_dyane

Yep, that was indeed the symptom when I tried to mount the drive before the freezer treatment, constant click and no whirr...
Jonathan.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Jul 2009

Does it have to be peas and chips? Does cod and lasagne work too?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 21 Jul 2009

its not a cure, its a temp bodge, one that has been in existence for me since around 1996! Used it many times, even on an XBOX hard drive! Now all you need is a risc PC and you can fix broken sector permanantly, though no cure for the click of death yet!:(
ImageImage

jonathan_dyane

Well, I have to say I have only tested it with chips and peas, and should you wish to risk substituting ingredients, do so with the knowledge that it is entirely at your own risk...
Jonathan.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Jul 2009

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ok, I think I'll risk cod and lasagne, but for some reason I wouldn't trust ice cream and definitely not sweet corn [chin] this needs thorough investigation.................
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 22 Jul 2009

Might be best avoiding 'sweet' foods altogether, a hard drive is (correct me if I'm wrong) an intrinsically savoury item...
Jonathan.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Jul 2009

:( I think I need to stick the Picasso's computer in the freezer!!! It's started fooking about.
Telling me it's overheating when I just started from cold, fan cutting in and out. digital fuel gauge not going to full. cruise control ceased working. read out for fuel consumption freezes
Radio works fine but it keeps saying insert disc when it's already in and won't play.
Finally drivers door mirror folds outwards (instead of inwards) when switching on ignition about 1 in 10 starts, completely unbidden.

I fucking hate electrickery :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 22 Jul 2009

haven't the french learnt by now that camembert is not a good conductor and brie is not 'la resistance'? It seems that lektrickery is not their strongest point!

I'd seriously take on board Mr Dyane's suggestion about avoiding sweet frozen foods though when placing your picarseole into cryogenic storage.......

jonathan_dyane

Oh God, I feel for you, I really do. I really hope I never end up with a motor car with a computer, give me good old single-plexed non-intergrated wiring and things I can understand for the smoke to escape from any day, but not that...

(I'd check earths and connections on the Picasso, but would suspect the BSI could be up the swannee... If you're brave leaving it with the battery off overnight might help)
Jonathan.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

jonathan_dyane wrote:Oh God, I feel for you, I really do. I really hope I never end up with a motor car with a computer, give me good old single-plexed non-intergrated wiring and things I can understand for the smoke to escape from any day, but not that...
Sounds familiar mate.............!!!!!

Not being unkind to Jon here, but his 306 was/is a true bastion of French workhorse longevity...........it's the car that refuses to die, despite endless amounts of neglect and abuse (not perpetrated by Jon I might add...) A sturdy hand painted work horse....................

jonathan_dyane

And it did go on fire a bit last month, I have to admit... It has been a wonderful workhorse, however next week will be its last on the Queen's highway, and following me pulling the engine and box out (still fresh at 220 000+ miles, how many plus I don't know since the smoke escaped from the circuit that worked the speedometer amongst other things), it will head to the knackers yard. I may shed a tear...
Jonathan.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 22 Jul 2009

Poor little car...

Other good bodges..
Dead mobile phone battery?
Stick it in the oven for 20 mins on 200 deg C.

Dead car battery? Flash it across the mains (be prepared to run, very fast)

Dead car stereo? Hit it with a hammer.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

I shan't be doing the mains thing for the car battery mate!

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 22 Jul 2009

Another one: mobile (old-school Nokia) dropped into seawater while fishing, recovered after 2hrs immersion.

Remove battery (sure to be dead). Part-dismantle. Immerse in (tap) water. Flush under running tap, repeat, repeat repeatedly. Leave to dry near a gentle heat source for a few days. Reassemble. Fit new battery - bingo! The durn thing's still working two or three years later though it eats batteries somewhat faster than normal (£1.99 for replacements on ebay).

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

I dropped my old 3230 down the bog once.
Was having a piss, whilst chatting to dad on it. I was, er, seven sheets to the wind at this point.
Anyway, the phone fucked off into a sea of bog water and man piss.

Somewhat dead, I removed battery and mem card, threw it on the heater and left for 2 days.
Plugged back in, viola!
Although the keypad backlights were always on for ever from that point, even if you switched it off...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 22 Jul 2009

Rinsed and/or "flushed", hopefully.....

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Erm, well, at the time I was rather too drunk to worry about silly things like that, but I did run it under the tap for a while the following morning!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Jul 2009

:) Well now everyone has had a laugh. Does anyone think it could be something to do with my altercation with that bollard, a couple of months back, It did do £2000 worth of damage.???????????????? :oops:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.