Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Hobgoblin & Others

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Jan 2010

Treating meself to a couple of Hobgoblins, a Bateman's Dark Lord and a Marston's Old Empire cos I got the engine and gearbox out the Xantia today.

And I've been thinking, that's a very nice block and would look pretty dressed with an XUD Turbo head, a Bosch Manual O'Matic injection pump all wrapped up nicely in a super lovely BX.

What thinks the experts out there who can advise me well. Gearbox considerations are confusing me.......MLT5 or BE3?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Hobgoblin & Others

Post by Philhod » 31 Jan 2010

:) Sounds a reasonable project Bandit. The headgasket is the only issue I can think of off hand.
But there are probably more as I try to see the advantage?????
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Jan 2010

Hang about yer bastard!
2.1 bottom end with an 8 valve head?
Thats my fucking trick bastard!
Actually, fuck it, yeah, carry on! I'm having more fun with the bus than arsing around with shitty old french fucking twatting BloodyX's..

Erm, The head will go straight on, personally I'd use one of them all metal HG jobbies, they are great, just make sure the heads nice and flat, NO milling marks in it (like, none, none at all anywhere) and make sure the block deck is flat and free of corrosion.
It'll never blow again unless you abuse it like I abuse Dolly the blow up.
As for gearbos, I had intended to use the BE3 using a 1.9 flywheel and a bit of drilling.
Guess it depends on how much POWAH you're aiming for? The ML5 is a stronger box, but then it weighs as much as the world...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Jan 2010

:mrgreen: I know it's your trick mate, I didn't mean to imply it were mine :wink: I was surprised to see how similar (the same???) to the xud7 block it was, but I didn't think there was enough room to bore it out more than the 1.9.

Anyways, would a be3 bolt on? You mentioned the flywheel, it's a big thick fucker on the 2.1 aint it? Is that why you'd put a 1.9 flywheel on it to then match clutch/be3 set up?

If keeping the MLT box, then the drive shafts have to go on to match, are they the same length/track do you know?

What I don't want to do is hack the chassis about and the turbo seems to protrude more on the 2.1.

Anyway, it wont happen soon Doc, and the patent properties are entirely yours!!!!!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

no no mate, I dont care a fuck if you do it like, mor that if you do I'll not bother, since I find these fdays once it's been done I lose interest in it.

Yes the turbo does stick out more on the 2.1, but then the head / cam carrier is a much taller affair on said block. Wont be a problem if you're using the 8valve head though!

I never quite checked to see if the BE3 would bolt straight to it, although I suspect it will with a 17 or 19 flywheel, which will bolt straight to the crank.
I think the D/shaft lengths are different, but I happen to know that by replacing the needle bearings in the tri joint you can use the shaft ends off the xantia / xm shafts on a bx shaft.
What put me off considering the ML5 was the weight really, it's a big fucking box, and weighs more than the moon.
I *think* the BE3 will bolt on as is, but if not I'd have made up a plate, or drilled the block to suit.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

[chin] you lost me at needle mate. It's rather academic at the moment, I have so much other shit to do and if indeed I end up with the Surfing Silver Shed then Mrs Bandit tells me one has to go! I shall fight.....to the teeth but being boring and realistic she's right and it'll probably be the TZD that goes :evil:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Not the AC beast??
hmm.... how good is it?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Front end was welded up ok, pretty pleased with that. The bits I did on the rear were naff but ok. Fucked up the sills. A/c not working but afaik just needs a refill. Odd noise from front n/s on cornering, fuck me if I know what it is. Rear wheel bearing gone too - I got one of Bernie, remember that trip? I take it they are piece of piss?
Have all the bits to make it Hurricane look-a like but need spraying red. The odd panel needs a respray too.

Good on juice, I get 550 per tank on semi-urban use, not been on a long enough journey to see what steady motoring will do.

Love the car though, kwality run around!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

R wheel bearings aint hard. Undo nut, hit off hub, remove the remains of the bearing race from the stub axle, stick new hub on, do up nut. Simples...

Hmmm again, so, if you do sell the car, how much you looking at?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Awwwwwww don't ask money shit dude! I hate money and mates, I'd sooner give it you! Have to see what happens with the XM mate (sorry, have to put this in, Tizzy is dreaming and has just started wagging her tail like mad! :lol: how kewl is that?!) As you're so keen, you can have first refusal!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Just a thought really, I mean, could do the neccessary and give it to Nathan maybe..
I dunno, just thinking aloud really.

I love it when doggies dream, Jazz gets all excited, waggy tail and starts semi woofing, before now she's woken herself up and spends some time looking all around her, all confused like, with one ear up and one down. Oh so very cute!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

It is very cute indeed! Never seen a dog sleep wag before though! She's woken up now but then fallen half asleep with a tennis ball in her mouth!

I can't promise anything on the BX front mate, not until the end of this year at the soonest if I do indeed need to sell :(

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Feb 2010

May be selling the 19n/a Doc ???We'll talk at w/end.

By the way Before he pissed off North Vanny said he has a couple of racks to spare.

You may have missed his post, but he said ring him while he's up here if you want one.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 01 Feb 2010

No worries Phil. All options considered!
I'm not altogether sure I actually want to give Nathan a BX really, but a car is a car and all, and at least I know BX's!

Got hold of Vanster thanks dude, and the main man has indeed retrieved a rack for me, bless him!
So all is almost good again!
All I need now is a local social life, a rust free bus, some lungs and a job that pays twice as much and I'm fucking laughing!!!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Feb 2010

:) Is that all!!! Then so am I :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 01 Feb 2010

Well i know where there are two social lives, one is stuck up in Liverpool, the other is in Brimingham, would probably need some help finding it though. NOt faound any form of social life in Coventry, not even a broken one. Tried to order one off the internet and it just left me a shit lof of cleaning and a broken door :lol:
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 01 Feb 2010

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now who would do such a thing!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 01 Feb 2010

Vanny wrote:Well i know where there are two social lives, one is stuck up in Liverpool, the other is in Brimingham, would probably need some help finding it though. NOt faound any form of social life in Coventry, not even a broken one. Tried to order one off the internet and it just left me a shit lof of cleaning and a broken door :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I literally did laugh out loud! Cheeky fucker.

I heard there was some kind of social life in Birmingham too, but I think I'd need help finding it - at least pointing in the right direction...
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 01 Feb 2010

Oh, don't you worry about that, head into Brum, find Broadstreet (it has a fuck off big ferris wheel that you can see from miles away), and find the Brasshouse. Now apparently thats the pub where all the trendy boys and fit girls go, i've not been allowed in yet so there is potential for this rumour to be true!
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 01 Feb 2010

I remember Broad Street from when Lana went to Aston Uni! Problem is if it's a trendy joint then I stand even less chance of being let in...
Image Image Image Image