BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Bitron.............sci-fi con

Post by Vanny » 02 Feb 2011

Erm, wait, am i missing something? For a 2litre 4 cylinder petrol engine the theoretical length of the exhaust should be around 1metre (based on the inlet track, cylinder displacement, number of valves etc) in order to harness Ricardos' wave principle, so you need soemthing to create the back pressure at that point (hence the resonator on the 16v). Surely the same basics apply to the diesel, if perhpas with a different distance, so removing the cross box restiction might make the turbo spool a little quicker (or adjust the waste gate FFS) but result in reduced torque around 2000rpm.

Strikes me that you want a fat pipe with calculated exhaust restrictor and side exit? Or better still, sod the diesel off and get a valver? I think what you do to the air intake will have a much greater impact!

Super charge a TZD mmm....
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 02 Feb 2011

[chin] Correct me by all means but I always understood that all experimentation using this theorem was on petrol engines only.
Because of the relatively low compression ratio's, it was used by honda, I believe, to look at fuel/air flow characteristics (rich/lean areas near the plug) and the effects on breathing of EGR valves, CAT systems and other fuel reducing and CO2 reducing measures.

The flow plan of Diesels, because of their much higher compression ratio's and very much higher fuel inlet pressure are far less affected by these measures and I have not seen any data as to Ricardo, but Bolinder did experiments on the different characteristics of diesel gas flow when the 2 stroke diesel was being developed in the 1930's 8)

So, don't get a smelly inefficient petrol car, stick with the one that works better and is still being developed. :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 02 Feb 2011

Certainly with turbo cars (in general) to get the best out of the turbo then the back pressure should be considerably less than on an N/A car.

I wouldn't know if it would be at the cost of torque circa 2000 rpm but I'd of expected the turbo to of compensated by then - that being based on more modern TDs using faster spooling turbos than the TZD....can you feel the turbo coming in at 2000 on the focus Vanny? I can't remember the Xantia that well tbh.

Interestingly, when I was driving around with no exhaust on at all on the XM, whilst I'm pretty sure the turbo did spool up faster, it certainly ran out of puff faster - it has a noticeably longer pull with the exhaust back on.

It's worth having a play with both air box and devil pipe I'd of thought.The other thing I can think of about this wots-his-name wave principle is petrol aside, does it have a relationship to RPM - diesel obviously revving much slower????
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 02 Feb 2011

It doesn't matter Bandit, From what I can remember of the paper on Honda's results, they did their testing at a steady 2000 revs to achieve best results over a measured flow. It was a Microcassegrain sensor they used for minute observation and according to their findings around that rev point gave readings that were compatible across the rev range.
The need for back pressure in a petrol engine, is to help equalise cylinder pressures and therefore maximise efficiency of each cylinder.
Diesels by virtue of their operation do not need back pressure as each cylinder is working well above the pressure that could be affected by this.
In terms of efficiency (ie extracting power from fuel used) Diesels are approximately 120% more efficient than petrol.

I notice that the 19 turbo Xant was crap around town, really sluggish till it could open up.
My BX would run rings round the Xant in traffic.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 03 Feb 2011

Interesting. I suspected it felt quicker to spool up, but that may have been due to the fact I'd just spent an hour welding up a different exhaust system and hence wanted to experience some reward for my hard work! Be interesting to see whether I notice any difference going back to the standard system.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 03 Feb 2011

There's no doubt the diesel in turbo form spools up quicker, and has more grunt minus the cross box, dad's car is much sprightlier across the rev range with the devil pipe.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 03 Feb 2011

:) There is another set of data that works out the optimum length for an exhaust. It gives the right size of silencer to baffle down the slower gas as well.

I'll have a look round to see if I can find it. 8)