BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
daverennick

I think my clutch is going, hahahahaha

Post by daverennick » 01 Mar 2011

My clutch is slipping. I think. It's "chugging", and the chugging won't stop. It's particularly noticeable when starting from stationary, or when picking up a lower speed from a higher gear.

Comments on (a) definitions of a slipping clutch and (b) what's involved in repairing such a clutch are welcome, coz I think I'm about to have a heart attack...

Thanks! It's a '92 16V by the way.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: I think my clutch is going, hahahahaha

Post by mat_the_cat » 01 Mar 2011

Try pulling away with the handbrake on, does it stall? Or travel along at a constant speed in 5th, floor it and see whether the revs climb faster than the road speed rises.

Here's a guide, pinched from the 'Other Side'.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 01 Mar 2011

Clutch change,
1> Jack up car, disconnect nearside LH hub, and swing out of the way with drive shaft connected.
2> Undo and remove air inlet manifold, starter, loosen FDV and hydraulic pump and support.
3> Unbolt gearbox and drop DOWN and towards the wing, removing the gearbox mounting pin can help.
4>Replace clutch plate and frame, use tool or special piece of 'tuned' pine to align.
5> Bolt it back together.

There, five simple steps. Took me just 3 weeks the first time i did a BX clutch. I can now do a TD clutch in about 4 hours, 6 on a pug 405 because there was no joined up thinking when they made the subframe.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Mar 2011

The man is dead right. (I like the addition about the pin @3) :)
If you are doing it yourself, fit a complete clutch assembly and new release brg.
A new cable is worthwhile too, if it aint bin changed for some time.

You used to be able to get a heavy duty one (diesel/ 4x4) but I don't know weather they are still available
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

daverennick

Post by daverennick » 17 Apr 2011

The clutch is not the problem at all. I imagined it - if anything the clutch is very strong. I also imagined that it was the Lambda sensor that was causing my engine to chug at low revs. (This also relates to a previous problem I posted here, about my engine over-revving).

FINALLY as the problem got worse, my car recently cut out altogether which generated a fault code. ERROR 41, ie the Crank Sensor.

So... now this is what I'm tracking down - it's a hard thing to spot down there, but I think I see it buried in the bay coming out of the bell housing. Now what?!!! Haynes isn't really helpful.

daverennick

hang on... if the Crank Sensor was shot then my tachometer wouldn't be working, right? Well, my tachometer IS working. Arrrgh this issue is proving to be very elusive...

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 17 Apr 2011

valver tacho comes from the ECU and not the CAS, not knowing the inner workings of the ECU, it could be the case that the CAS has a short/intermittent fault, and the ECU is modifying the drive to the tacho in such a way that it isn't noticeable.

If the CAS is the fault, then i would expect the most likely cause is chaffing of the wires on the HP belt.

Oh, i'm assuming this is a valver mind.
ImageImage

daverennick

Do you know what the reading the Crank Sensor should be showing, were I to throw a meter on it?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 17 Apr 2011

:) Not that I will be able to help if you have a smelly petrol thing, but, just what model and year do you have???

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 18 Apr 2011

daverennick wrote:Thanks! It's a '92 16V by the way.
[coat]
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 18 Apr 2011

:oops: :oops: I'll just go and get me glasses. :)