General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

sorry guys

Post by mickey taker » 19 Dec 2011

I just couldent let a whole day go by with no new posts :D
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Re: sorry guys

Post by Father Ted » 19 Dec 2011

I was going to write a diatribe on my thread, but you know, I dont need to now do I?
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Dec 2011

Hi Guys. Got bak from Istanbul Saturday, late. Useful trip could mean quite a bit of business.

Sweden trip is off though. Should have been going in the morning but, this morning the missus slipped on the ice outside our house, on the way to work. Unfortunately this resulted in her busting her left hip quite badly and she is now in hospital, where they are going to replace the joint later tonight.
On the better side, if all goes well she will be home by Friday and I will start my Father Ted impersonations :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 20 Dec 2011

Thats a bugger Phil, are they doing a Thompsons Hemiarthroplasty? Sort of a half hip where they keep the socket but replace the ball joint, or are they doing a Dynamic Hip Screw, which is a nut and bolt repaur job?
I only ask as the latter usually ends up having to become a total hip in later years owing to necrosis of the ball joint as the blood supply is affected to the head of the femur.

That said these days people are in and out double quick, ot used to be a full fortnight job back in my days at Wrightington, bt I gather its about 5 days now

I hope she is on the mend soon and that she isnt in too much discomfort with it.
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:( I've no idea what the fuck they are doing Ted. At first they said she would have to have it pinned and be in over a week. Then when the bone man had a look he said no, there is a crack going towards the ball, it will need replacing, so could be home in 3 days. I presume this means just the femoral head but they shoved us out at 4 pm before I could speak to anyone and at 7 till 8 there was no one there I could ask.
Rang this morning at 8 and they said she hasn't had it done yet but is on the list for this morning. No one could tell me much, except she is comfortable and there is no visiting till 7 today. But guess what! They will be getting a visit later this morning.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 20 Dec 2011

Shit dude, that is bad news. It would be a bit daft for me to say I hope it doesn't spoil Christmas, but I hope it's not ruined completely. My mum has several artificial joints, including both hips & a knee and the technology is advancing all the time. The first hip lasted about 20 years but current ones should last longer.
Image Image Image Image

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 20 Dec 2011

From what you say Phil she will be having a hemiarthroplasty (or half a hip joint).

They keep the socket and cartlidge, and replace the head of the femur with a titanium alloy ball joint, there are two main types a Charnley and a Thompsons depending on which surgeon is doing the job and his preference.
Straightforward to do, and with less chance of dislocating post op than a total hip. The reason they are doing this as opposed to the quicker hip screw will be down to the blood supply to the head of the femur being compromised from the break. If left the bone would die off and it would be painful and need replacing anyway.

Strength of the joint is compromised slightly by the need to cut through muscle to replace the joint, so post op care needs to be taken to avoid hyper-extendng the hip - you have a Picasso so no issues with regards the car (bit of a PITA if you have something low to thr ground!) You may need a raised seat on the bog for a few months but aside from that recovery is usually pretty staightforward. She will need a physio and OT assessment prior to coming out, stairs can be a bit of a bugger for the first couple of weeks.

She will be fine, its a nervous time for you - especially if no one at the Infirmary is taking the time to talk to you, but she will be fine. Chances are they will do the op under a spinal so no nasty side effects of the propafol to worry about, plus pain relief is sorted too.

If you need to chat Phil drop me a PM.
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:) Thanks for that Ted. I will PM you later. They just rang to tell me she hasn't had it done yet due to a backlog at Wigan and she has just been transfered to ward 5 at Wrightington, so I'm straight off up there.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 20 Dec 2011

our thoughts are with you and the Mrs Phil
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Dec 2011

:) Thanks for your support guys. The op is set for tomorrow and they are doing a full joint replacement. Although everyone assures me it is routine, the clacker valve is wobbling a bit. All lengthy ops carry some risk at you get older and she will defo be in over christmas now.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 21 Dec 2011

Hi Phil, best wishes for the wife and your clacker valve. You may get her back for Christmas if the op happens now as nothing much happens in hospitals over Xmas. In my view its probably safer to come home as the rack back to skeleton staffing means really that you're in limbo from Xmas until the New Year kicks in which can be really frustrating and stressful for the patient.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 21 Dec 2011

Im sure she will be fine Phil. PM replied to. It is VERY routine and she will be up and about before you know it.
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Dec 2011

[bow] [clap] [wave] Phoned her in recovery earlier. she is a bit sore but no pain now.
The surgeon called in to tell her that everything had gone very smoothly and she can look forward to a full recovery.
Thanks for all your thoughts guys. I'm somewhat relieved to say the least 8)

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 21 Dec 2011

Good news indeed Phil :D

Ask her about the bit where her leg came over her head......
Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 21 Dec 2011

[like] Excellent news Phil! :D
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Dec 2011

Ask her about the bit where her leg came over her head.....
I think I'll leave that till tomorrow :lol:

I got her a get well card from the cats. It shows someone in an operating theater. One surgeon says, fuck where does this bit go, the other says, I don't know, you took it out......Oh bollocks, just Google it!!! :oops: 8)

I'm laughing now, but I've had better days, so thanks again for lightening the load.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 24 Dec 2011

I always wanted an artificial cock, but then I realised I could just get a dildo. That way the missus can have all the fun she wants whilst I'm in the pub!

best wishes mate.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Dec 2011

:D Missus is mending nicely, scooting about no end on her zimmer with wheels.
She is stopping up out of bed most of the day now.
She walked to the door with us this afternoon, as we were leaving and even managed a smile.
(which you will see if I manage to get the pic up on here)

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 28 Dec 2011

[like] [like] [like] [wave]
Good news there Phil.
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Dec 2011

Ta Ted.
:D Apparently they have to do an Xray with her standing and putting some load on the tree trunk as she calls it. It is still quite swollen. Once she has that done and social services have checked our house out (the council have already provided some equipment) she can come home 8)