BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
jayw
Part of the decor

Steering Rack Mods

Post by jayw » 06 Apr 2015

The Valver, I'm committed to going manual with the steering but I've taken on board the quantity of lock-to-lock turns compared to the PAS rack.

So, questions and solutions???

Does the pinion valve on the PAS rack increase the necessary force to turn when it's disconnected? i.e. Would the rack be easier to turn without the onion valve? (and as I no longer have one to look at, can the PAS rack actually be fitted without the valve)?

Anyone know of a stock manual quick rack that would either bolt relatively straight in or can be modified to fit?

Could a quicker stock rack & pinion be fitted to the BX casing (with perhaps modified TRE's if required) similar to transferring the PAS gubbins to the manual casing.

Does the BX share its manual rack with any other cars?

Ideas?
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Steering Rack Mods

Post by Vanny » 06 Apr 2015

The powered rack and piston is the same as the 405, I assume the seals and supply/return of the pinion are different to take the LHM, but this is the reason the pipes between the piston and pinion valve are standard SAE connections.

I think the later Xantia rack is wider than the BX, so I would guess the 406 rack might be wider?

I guess you need to measure the width of the rack and get a motor factors magic book and see what is similar, but i suspect the PSA range will give you something.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 06 Apr 2015

[chin] Didn't we discuss this some time ago?

I've been told the Xantia/405 is wider. I've never had them side by side but we can't be talking very much.
I once powerd a Mini (original over 35 years ago) using a Fiat unit (might have been Alfa). With the TRE's screwed right in it was still 9 mill too wide. Stuck em in the lathe and took 1/2" off both and all was good as there was nothing hindering the extra rack movement, wheels tyres etc.
It's an option to look at. 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Jun 2016

I've developed an issue with the Picasso stering.
Quite suddenly the power sterering has become "lumpy" Sort of stiff free, stiff free. it is very noticeable from cold but once I have been driving for 15 mins is much less apparent though still there.
I suspect pump internal seals but if anyone has alternative ideas..........! fluids ok and aux belt fine and there are no leaks. [chin]
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.