BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Now that Vanny's back...

Post by mat_the_cat » 23 Oct 2012

What's the deal with these new fangled pollen filters that modern (i.e. this century) cars have then? I've just bought a Focus and apparently it has one.

Judging by the state of the air filter I doubt the pollen filter has been changed for a while, but what if I just leave it out? I'm not going to be any worse than I am when Im driving anything else on the fleet! Unecessary complication, or does it actually serve a useful benefit for none hayfever sufferers?
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Now that Vanny's back...

Post by Vanny » 23 Oct 2012

exactly what sort of filter is it? HEPA or combination? HEPA usually have a yellowish tint, while combination have a very grey colour because they have a charcoal layer to catch smells. It might be that you have a combination filter which always look dirty because of the charcoal.

Does it have auto AC? Taking the filter out doesn't have too much effect, it will increase the effect of forced induction at speed, and can result in odd temperatures for auto AC. Worst case is that you'll get a load of dust in that will stick to the evaporator, trap moisture and make it stink.

Personally i wouldn't run without one just because there so cheap (when considering that they can take 5 years to loose efficiency).
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 23 Oct 2012

Haven't actually looked at the filter TBH - was just going to get one and fit it anyway. I was just a bit curious as to why all cars seem to have one now, yet we've managed to live without them for so long.

Air filter was filthy (I think the 'service' 200 miles ago was just oil and filter rather than to the schedule) which is what made me wonder about a cabin filter. Apparenty they're prone to letting water in the cabin after changing, but I bet that's more down to muppet installation than anything.

Nothing as advanced as auto AC, but makes sense to keep the evaporator clean. Plus when our track is dusty it should keep the cabin a bit cleaner I suppose.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Oct 2012

mat_the_cat wrote:Apparenty they're prone to letting water in the cabin after changing,
Well i obviously dont know the configuration, but there absolutley shouldn't be any way for water to get in just as a result of changing the filter!

The reason they are standard fit are two part, 1) a lot more people have 'allergies' as a result of degrading air quality and health, hence there handy to have 2) saleable gimmics, there are quite a lot of these on cars now, starts with the expensive cars and before you know it they rattle into everything.

There is an argument that the like of Jaguar, Range Rover, Aston Martin etc provide the most technology improvements to Kia, Hyundai etc, JLR put the money in, the Koreans copy it, everyone gets it.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 Oct 2012

All I've done with mine is take it out at service, blow it through with comp air and put it back.
It's 9 years old now and must be still working as the daughter has hay fever and has been ok when out in mine.

Mind you, there probably has'nt been any pollen this year :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 24 Oct 2012

You would be surprised Phil, its worse after its been hooning it down as the rainwater smashes into the flowers releasing pollen which once the rains stop fills the air. Have you ever noticed that the flowers smell stronger after rain? Or gone past a field of oil seed rape after rain, it bloody stinks.
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 24 Oct 2012

:D Even better then. It defo must be working.

It must be a throwback gene from somewhere, as me an er indoors have never been bothered by hayfever and the other daughter in Sweden only very slightly.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 24 Oct 2012

Very grey, but seeing as the new one was whitish don't think it was the charcoal kind.

Just very dirty. And missing a lid by the looks of things :roll:
Image Image Image Image