BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
jayw
Part of the decor

Standalone ECU's

Post by jayw » 20 Apr 2013

Slowly getting stuff together ready for preperation to bring the Valver down here in a few month so i can get on with work.

So, one of the areas i have zero expertise on is Engine management.

Initially i'll be fitting the N2o kit that i've already got but i'd like to have scope to make additions later on (supercharger/turbo etc) if funds/will ever allow.

For the safety system of the N2o controller i have, i need Lambda and knock sensors installed. I already have a heated lambda sensor and boss in the garage so it's jut the knock sensor needed.

If at all possible i still want to lay my hands on a DFW lump as it's going to be considerably more suitable straight out of the box for later developments. Either way, whichever engine's fitted will need a refurb.

So, the point of the thread is for suggestions about what type of management to look for, obviously there's Megasquirt, Emerald etc but i'm not sure what exactly i'll need to run ignition & injection etc.

Budget isn't ridiculously massive, but i'm realistic, the most important factor being tht it will do the job needed and is adaptable for later changes. Something that i can plug into a laptop for home modification would be good - not sure if that's a typical feature.

I'll also budget for initial RR setup but i believe some systems come with a basic map that should allow most engines to run to some degree initially. Is that correct?
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Standalone ECU's

Post by Vanny » 20 Apr 2013

There are many other good brands of DIY ECU, Dastek for example.

The only one i've had actual physical experience with is the Walbro ECU that they offer for development only, it might take some persuasion to get hold of but its only £80 including the tuning software. It is largely self tuning as well. You get a very basic map, set it to learn mode and run it up and down on a RR a few times and it will develop a good map. It's designed for bikes, but has many car features added on. Down side is that its not upgradable, so wouldn't be much use with NOS or forced induction. Might be worth getting a copy of its manual, its a real idiots guide to tuning an engine (perfect for me). I only have an old version, it has been updated.

Some of the more recent stuff has good scope for self tuning, i think the megasquirt 3 has this. Connectivity is nearly always via RS232 on some custom protocol. This likely means you'll need a USB to Serial converter which is a mine field as some work, and some are shit, and some are in between. We have 4 different makes with 3 different chipsets at work (FTDI, prolific and something else) and all four of them have some issue or other. Not the end of the world mind, but if you have a laptop with a serial port this can save some pain!

And Polevolt electrical near Crewe now do the ecu side connector for the bosch motornic, so you could take an old ECU tin and build the Emerald/Dastek/Megasquirt into the standard box.

I know that with the Mega you can build up what you need, ie you could start with a dizzy and only use the Mega to control the injection, then later add a dizzy less injection and so on, there are even specific controller for it when using NOS and forced induction.

I've looked at various options for the valver, but frankly, for a stock valver, there simply is no point! Okay the Motronic has limitations, but you're not going to conquer them with the controller alone, and £1000 to remove the flat spot in the power curve just isn't worth bothering with!
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 20 Apr 2013

Canems is another that I've heard good things about - specifically their dual fuel ECU which obviously isn't relevant to you. Interesting read though.
http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/topi ... n%29&mid=0
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Apr 2013

Canr add anything to that. I find mine plenty quick enough in standard guise!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 21 Apr 2013

Normally i'd agree with you Chris, but i've already spent £700 on t he N2o (albeit 5 years ago) and as i've bugger all else to spend me hard-earned on, might as well be something i enjoy!

Been looking into all this stuff & it's making me noggin hurt!
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 21 Apr 2013

is its only NOS, do you actually need a different ECU? I thought you could get piggy back controllers for the NOS? If you haven't made any engine mods (bigger exhaust valves, carbs, bigger injectors, variable valve timing etc) then i'm not sure if the outlay is worth the very minor improvements you might get. Though for me it would be well worth the challenge of just doing it!

Have you considered making your own ECU? Bit of C programming and an Atmel Mega chipset might be all you need!
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 21 Apr 2013

Emerald
Dastek
Megasquirt
Omex
Gems
AEM (newish Australian setup
DTA
KMS

That's most of the major players, i think.
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 21 Apr 2013

Building is possible, but programming is way beyond my capabilities which is why i'd prefer something that's pretty much plug 'n' play with a nice simple GUI.

I shall continue my research...
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 22 Apr 2013

there's a dude with a valver running NOS already. Cant remember who the fuck he is or where from though, but I seem to recall he didn't change the ECU?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 22 Apr 2013

Yes there was, he sold it on to that chap in Edinburgh who's dissapeared.

He was also running it in a VERY basic configuration and quickly discovered the problems hence selling it on. I really don't want to fry my engine!

The ECU isn't strictly needed for that, but i'd like to do it while i can afford to.
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 Apr 2013

he sold it on to that chap in Edinburgh who's dissapeared.

:roll: That's fuckin NOS for ya!

Was the Walbro one you used on the Aprillia test bed then?
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

badlyworntoy

Post by badlyworntoy » 18 Jul 2014

You already have a very poweful ECU in the Bosch ML4.1 you simply don't need any aftermarket 3D system so long as you can find one man....... Wayne Schofield of Chipwizards. He can live map it via an emulator. I'm running a 300bhp Rotrex'd Mi16 on a standard ECU, only change is Astra VXR injectors and a FSE power boost pressure regulator and obviously a Map burned on a chip for it. Thats it no other mods to the Engine mangement.