Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Building a sphere tester

Post by Vanny » 28 May 2014

Way2go wrote:One of the outlets was nitrogen at 4000 psi.
Sounds just about right, maybe an opportunity missed W2G
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 30 May 2014

Well I got some alternative gauges very quickly, and it all works!

I knew this accumulator was a little flat. I perhaps didn't realise just how flat! It's only got 30 bars left of it's original 62!

And the delay in reaching this stage has been caused by sorting out a man shed. The garage is just too small, and the 'workshop' at the back of the garage has mysteriously become a utility!

But it's okay because i now have all 12' x 6' of this;

The boys (well mostly Dom) helped me move some sheds around last weekend, even through the pissing down rain. Oh and knocked the wall down at the bottom of the alley so there is no longer a need to drag everything through the garage!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 30 May 2014

That looks suitably auspicious as a workshop mate.

Makes a big difference. I mean I store bigger items like welding sets and gas and kit like hoist and lathe in the garage, which leaves me plenty space in the separate workshop for just about everything else. I have a small roll, a hole punch and guillotine but they dont take much room.
I'll have even more space when I get rid of Brians G/box and transfer box but I aint heard whats happening with the machining either from him or the machine shop I left it with. :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 05 Jan 2015

Seven months later now, must be time for an update? :)

How many spheres have you tested since completion and what was the score of good, bad and indifferent?

Are you going to the next stage of building a sphere recharger? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 05 Jan 2015

Seven months of being Dad mean pretty much no further progress. I did mig up a very ott base for it;

But nothing is attached as yet, and i need a better catch tank!

I do now have a few extra spheres to test as well.

As for regasing, I just want see the point in the investment. Okay the technosir kit isn't too expensive, and i already have an account for cheap OFN (Oxygen Free Nitrogen), but the valves are just too expensive if i'm not going to be changing pressures regularly, or reselling to people who want a lot of re-gassing.
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 05 Jan 2015

Yes, the Dad job is time consuming and increasingly so over the next 12 years! :)

Wrt recharging, for your own use I would think that you could get away with compressing air which had been drawn through silica gel on the intake. (An air separator/dryer on the output, although better, maybe more difficult to find at the working pressure) A bit of wetness in the sphere isn't going to matter unless the diaphragm ruptures - and if that happens its maybe time to change the LHM anyway. The only other proviso to that is if any rust that occurs inside the sphere behind the diaphragm I guess, because if rust particles pass though the diaphragm on a rupture then they would be unwelcome in the system.

I seem to remember that the "Mad Frenchman" used air for his rig as posted waay-back on BXC. :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 Jan 2015

:lol: Only 12 years WTG. You must have done something right. :wink:

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 09 Jan 2015

Philhod wrote::lol: Only 12 years WTG. You must have done something right. :wink:

No Phil, that doesn't mark the end to responsibility, just the point when they prefer to spend time with their friends rather than require you to entertain them. :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 09 Jan 2015

Wise words master yoda, wise words indeed
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Jan 2015

:lol: I meant support and involvement.
I just spent 3 weeks with my 12 year old grandson of which we connected for about 3 days.
For the last 12 months he's been connected on line with his mates on video games. They have head sets and mikes and are in their own closed world for hours on end, only coming up for air at feeding time. :roll: