General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Smartphones

Post by mat_the_cat » 14 Aug 2013

After having resisted the move into the 21st century, and stuck with basic tough phones for the last 10 years I'm finally making the switch! The decision point came when both my camera, and current phone started having problems - camera has a fault with the lens mechanism a week after I spent time and money replacing the LCD screen, and the (indestructible) phone developed a crack in the body and a buzzing noise whenever you phone someone.

Also, my laptop is showing its age and struggles to cope with video playing, so getting a smartphone for nothing just by signing up for a contract seemed like a win win. The new technology might take some getting use to though, as I was taking pictures with Lana's iPhone at the weekend, when I accidentally somehow swapped to the front camera and accidentally took a photo of myself as I puzzled on how to swap it back...

Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Smartphones

Post by Philhod » 16 Aug 2013

:lol: Sony make a smaller tough / waterproof android phone. I have an Experia. It's pretty good. Just wish me fingers were smaller too. :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 16 Aug 2013

Ooh, I dunno - large fingers can be useful :wink:

Funnily enough it's the waterproof Sony Xperia that I got...still struggling to get my head around some of the stuff it can do! Still think my old phone was better at just being a phone, but this can effectively do 4 things at once (phone/camera/laptop/music player) so it's not the end of the world if it's not a master of one trade.
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 17 Aug 2013

Mines the Experia Tipo. It's not the smallest version but much smaller than all the others like Samsung HTC etc, so easier to carry about. I got it free with my contract, so I have disabled all the internet stuff as I am not paying for shite I'm unlikely to use. Before I did this it hooked its self up to my computer and synced up with it incurring costs I was not aware of till I got my first bill. I refused to pay for it and had them disable it . :x

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 17 Aug 2013

Yeah, got mine free on contract too :) It includes 250Mb of data each month too, which I'm not fussed about although if I've got it I may as well use it. Worked out how to get it to stop the data once you get close to the free limit, so shouldn't get a nasty shock!

Only problem is Orange deactivated my old SIM, then did the same to my new one :roll: Genius! Worked fine till I got a SIM update...
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Aug 2013

I have concluded that smart phones are dumb.. my old Nokia will do interweb, after a fashion, call people, sens SMS, take pictures (albe it only at 2MP) and has a battery that lasts a week.. win.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Aug 2013

:) Yeah, I had the same one, brilliant phone and easy to use. The wife had a simpler phone that she seemed to find difficult to use so I ditched it, gave her my old one which she finds a lot easier to use.
The only advantage this smart phone has is the touchscreen keyboard is easier to use and I can alter the keyboard and prompt to help me text in Swedish. But that's about all.

I still keep my minutes and texts Mat but ditching the net makes my contract just £7 a month It generally cost me around a tenner with international texts not covered.

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » 23 Aug 2013

Isn't it odd how that JCB phone was really popular with mechanicky breakity things sort of people, and then they didn't bother making another model or anything. A JCB smartphone would have been interesting.
Bride of Stinkwheel

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 25 Aug 2013

Ah, but the company that made them (Sonim) continued making (slightly) more advanced phones under their own name - I've got a couple. If the latest hadn't cracked I'd still be using it I think...I should be able to get a replacement as the say however you manage to break it they will replace. But they are notoriously slow with the warranty :-(
Image Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 27 Aug 2013

Quick (probably daft) question: Should I be able to get mobile data anywhere I get a phone signal? At present I can only get it when I see a G (for GPRS) on the display but there are areas where I get a phone signal of 2 bars or so, yet no data. I've yet to go somewhere busy with it where I might find a 3G signal.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 27 Aug 2013

Not always is the simple answer, the longer version of the answer suggests that mobile phone operation is shrouded in magic and illusion.

For instance, i can often get full speed data, but no phone signal, quite how that works is baffling even Orange. They where meant to be replacing the handset today but haven't shown up!
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 27 Aug 2013

Oh, they will do. Just pop out to the shops or even just to the garage and out of earshot of the doorbell...
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 27 Aug 2013

They didn't phone back last night to book it in, and it should be going through work, so i'm not expecting them at all TBH. I shall give them yet another call tonight.
ImageImage