General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Vanny
Site Admin

Dwindling numbers of BX 16v's on the road

Post by Vanny » 07 Jul 2014

It strikes me that even with three BX 16v's being sold on eBay this week, they seem to have become few and far between. I had a look at the 'How Many Left' website, which paints a fairly unpleasant picture!

From 1000 listed as on the road when I bought mine, down to 22, in less than 15 years!
Its a shame that even with the proven obscurity that the Citroen BX 16v doesn't even command £700 on the open market. That's only £4.50 per BHP!

Maybe with so few left on the road, prices will start to climb in the future. Though I guess really it just points at the lack of desirability!

'How Many Left'
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Dwindling numbers of BX 16v's on the road

Post by mat_the_cat » 07 Jul 2014

At this rate there'll soon be less left than active members of this forum! Doesn't bode well for 16v specific parts, but then again most things can be re-made or refurbished, at a price. Values WILL rise, as with everything but can't see them rocketing.
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Jul 2014

You 're right Mat, they will rise and I think by more than you do.
The BX was the car that saved Citroen and conversely sort of looked down on by most Cit fanatics as was looked on as is the C5 to some extent, that it (they) pander to the mass market.
Which was rubbish of course, it was just a brilliantly designed car that ticked a lot of buyers boxes.
However. My feeling and from some of the comments in Citroneon, the feeling of others too, is that it is becoming viewed as a classic in it's own right.
I agree!! :D
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Jul 2014

I'm not sure that how many left is entirely accurate though...
but yeah, there aint many left, maybe I ought to do something with that P1 that's kicking about in the shed.. But then, I'd need to sell it for 10K to make any money on it, so maybe not..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 18 Jul 2014

22 on the road (ie taxed) sounds about right to me and kitch suggests over on BXClub that there are another 70 still registered with the DVLA on SORN giving just shy of 100 still in existence in the UK which also sounds about right, especially when compared to my register.

The issue of restoration v's financial value is what could see this mini in the scrap heap. It's a non too bad car, rusting in all the right places. Not including labour it will cost around £2000 to restore, but only be worth £500 more once finished. That's a huge amount of labour, probably 100 to 150 man hours (not including shopping) for £500! It's not a car i'm particularly attached to, so why bother.

I just want it fast and loud!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Jul 2014

:? Well yeah. I suppose I see what you mean but this is where gathering both tooling and new skills for som, can cut the cost of restoration drastically.

OK, so I'm lucky in this respect, in having most of the skills and knowledge to cover most engineering based things, ( if not all the tooling)
But as part of this community I am prepared to teach/ advise any that wish to broaden their skills.
Ultimately, it's the only way cars will be kept on the road for those of us with short pockets.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 24 Aug 2014

having stuck a Scorpion cross box on the 16v, I'm less inclined to like the Loud aspect of it....
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.