General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

terraclean discuss

Post by mickey taker » 27 Feb 2015

Anyone ever had this done to a car . Any experience or views welcome
appears to be they run your car for an hour on a very high quality fuel which removes the carbon build up in egr's inlet manifolds etc.
meant to improve running, performance and economy.

my main worry would be large lumps of carbon going into the engine.
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: terraclean discuss

Post by Vanny » 27 Feb 2015

I assume by 'very high quality' that its simply higher octane, ie added nail varnish remover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiViPKIoG68

Wheeler Dealers seem to rate it, and based on there simple test, looks like it actually does what it says.

Anything that burns hotter makes me concerned about what damage its doing to all the various seals.

If i was having an emission problem, then £70 seems like a winner, but I doubt it will make any difference to fuel economy or performance
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Feb 2015

Carbon deposits do not build up in the inlet manifold on a diesel, end of.The fuel system on a diesel and petrol FIl injects straight into the head
The gunge produced by using EGR is trapped in the plenum chamber as the air passes through it on the way to the turbo. This stuff does clean the combustion chambers I'm told, not having witnessed it myself.
The only way to remove the pre mentioned gunge is to remove EGR and plenum. Blow out the EGR with compressed air and scrape out the plenum then swill with petrol. Refit and your good to go.
Only carb based systems can benefit from this treatment I believe you can spray it into throttle bodies it being higher octane rated because of the amount of added alcohol. Home brewed Rum or Vodka would probably be cheaper. :lol:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 28 Feb 2015

my e.g.r is blanked so no more soot in there.
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 02 Mar 2015

Fine. but this stuff is supposed to clean the innards. Only the exhaust valve, injectors and piston tops would come into contact with this stuff.
I've been pulling diesel engines to bitz for err well.... a lot of years now and usually, unless some cunt has been playing with the pump delivery, or the timing has been out for ages, those 3 areas don't tend to get much coking TBH

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 02 Mar 2015

that's good then,
the mondy is running perfectly at the moment just thinking if I ever did have any problems might have been a reasonably cheap fix

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 06 Mar 2015

Talking to a guy up our street about this. His Golf was running like a tractor, black smoke noisy,the lot. He'd done nothing about it for over a year and it's a petrol Carb fed. He says it's unbelievably good. The bloke who fitted his cam belt 2 years back had it a couple of teeth out. Now that's fixed and the terracleans been through it, he says it's like having a new car.

I doubt it really coz A it's a Golf, B it's petrol [vomit] and C it's done about 150K :lol:

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 07 Mar 2015

How much of that is down to the belt and how much to the Terraclean though?
Image Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 08 Mar 2015

I can't imagine it does more that the equivalent "bloody good ragging" that clears out most "usually sedately driven" motors. But then I know nothing about the actual process other than what I've seen on Wheeler "Mike's a prick" Dealers.

Besides, I thought Edd had a financial interest in Terraclean (although I can't find any connection through Companies house or his registered Directorships) but that means nowt.
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 08 Mar 2015

Well, yes your right as far as it goes. anything that clears the tubes makes an improvement. Red X used to be the mix of choice, pour some o that down your carb it smoked for 15 mins then ran OK
I've even used Xylene. A lot less smoke and the decoke worked a treat

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 09 Mar 2015

Redex used to be dispensed into the petrol tank in the days before self-service at the pumps. A common order would be 4 gallons and 2 shots.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Mar 2015

Yeah. There was always a shot gun near the pumps, but that was for regular treatment to keep the top end clean, so avoiding the de coke situation that was needed in side valvers and poorly gas flowed OHV's
It used to be a regular job at around 50K on most pre OHC cars.
The use I was talking about was if you had a non starter, but it was trying. Drop some down the carb as you turned it over, usually fired up with clouds of smoke. :evil: