Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Tapping out

Post by Vanny » 23 Mar 2009

As you can tell, i have some time to indulge in self thinking at the moment, not just work. So here is another stupid question, possibly aimed at Mr PH

When putting a thread on a bar (ie a steel bar using a die), is there a trick to getting them spot on? I now manage to get the threads straight and I really do think i've got the hang of it. However, there always seems to be a little bit of play between what ever nut i wind down the bar and the newly cut thread.

Is this a result of method (usually by hand), poor quality tools (have used a mix of Clarke specials, Aldi super specials, and some expensive things they had at uni), or shit quality steel? Not that i could tell you much about the grade of the steel mind!
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: Tapping out

Post by Bx Bandit » 23 Mar 2009

If you have one, a pillar drill can help you keep things square. So, tap in chuck and workpiece on table-thingy or die&die holder on table-thingy and bar in chuck.

I also find that there is a fair bit of slack betwixt nut and rod. You can get adjustable dies though which will make a big difference. I recall messing about with one and getting a good........erm.............nut/rod feel :oops: :oops:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Tapping out

Post by Philhod » 23 Mar 2009

The button die holder you are using should have a screw ground to a taper, that locates in the split in the die.
You do a 1st cut with this screwed right in (opens the die). this should result in an easier cut, so it's easier to control.
It really is just practice, as it is with most fitting skills, but keep checking by bending down to see if you are level. Use a grease type cutting compound, brown Rocol is best.
Once youve done your first cut the hard work is done, screw the screw out about 1/2 way and do a second cut, try your nut on if it's slack unscrew less on the next one , if it's tight unscrew
a bit more and do a third cut.

If you have access to a lathe with a 3 jaw, put your bar in the chuck and lock the box.
start your thread with the hand die, bring the tailstock up (with no ctr in), against the die.
Lock the tailstock and use the feed to push the die along. you only have to turn the die now
the tailstock feed keeps the pressure on and the die square at the same time :wink:

Note: As with all cutting ops, taking too much at once is not only harder to do but tends to go out of shape and tear the metal rather than cutting it. I'm afraid good hand fitting has no shortcuts and needs patience. :oops: :P
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.