Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

The Octopus

Post by Fish_Botherer » 27 Apr 2009

Have added my pennyworth to a little discussion on BXClub about replacing an octopus (with the thought in mind that these too will probably become unavailable soon).

Its 3 return subgroups combine into one component and all three could be replaced separately. I've done the odd repair that replaces just one group for a friend who likes gas-supply-plumbing fittings and makes them up to fit. Any thoughts on how to re-engineer the lot, or am I just being pessimistic?

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Re: The Octopus

Post by Father Ted » 27 Apr 2009

Now Im not technically minded - my exploits with a three phase supply and the miswiring of a couple of one farrad electrolytics and the resultant explosion that destroyed a chunk of the classroom showed me that. But - that said to me it looks relativly simple to knock up an item using copper pipe and an old coke tin - an hours brazing should see something that could do the trick...
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 27 Apr 2009

I'd have thought an ally valve block, some screw in nipples and a roll of samco esk silicon tube would see the whole thing replaced (with considerably longer lasting materials) without need for much more than a drill and a couple of screw taps. Maybe a pillar drill if your feeling fancy?
ImageImage

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 27 Apr 2009

Sounds good. Perhaps something a bit chunkier than rubber pipe to go between the front height corrector and the block?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Apr 2009

I have plenty ally, piller drill and 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 mm taps 8 being the most used on Cits and all the required tapping drills. It could be moved to a more accessible place too and just re piped.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Apr 2009

Spot on Phil. I'd move the bulk of it to the O/S scuttle, like what they were on 4x4's IIRC.
Simple enough thing to manufacture and move to anywhere you like really.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Fish_Botherer

Post by Fish_Botherer » 28 Apr 2009

Rather better idea than what I've done as temporary workarounds. Another potential parts problem to be struck off the list....