General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Madcav
Site Admin

Computer boffins: help wanted please!

Post by Madcav » 04 May 2009

Right long story short: have a Belkin wireless router and need to put a security code in asap. Currently it's opean to all as last time I tried to set a password everything went tits up. Router is a Belkin ADSL thing and I need to urgently set a password so no fucker else can access my internet.
Can someone please explain in the most basic layman's terms how I can do it please? Ta muchly. Oh, I've tried seeing who is taking off my net connection but can't find that either. Sux 2 b me :oops:
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Re: Computer boffins: help wanted please!

Post by Way2go » 04 May 2009

The password on units I've been involved with is the RadioKey that is printed on the label on the router. This key can be given to other people (usually of your household or visitors) and will allow them to log onto the network too.

If your saying you have free choice of password (dangerous for you) then you presumably need to set this up by using the installation disk and very possibly need to re-install from scratch following it's instructions.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 04 May 2009

you need to log into the router. In your internet explorer window type in;

http:\\192.168.1.1

should come up with a request for a password and user name. Try admin as PW and admin as UN, otherwise try UN as Belkin and PW as admin then you should be given all kinds of options to implement WPA or WPK wireless encryption, this will give you an option to set a passphrase to stop people getting in! Alternatively if you dont use the wireless, i think on the belkin routers you can remove the wireless antenae! No one can access your router without a cable if you dont have a wireless router! Also these instructions should have come with the router or are available online.
ImageImage

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 05 May 2009

Cheers Vanny. Tried that http://192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; thing and my computer sort of told me to fuck off and web address not found, or something wank like that.
Need about four other things to run off net connection (not all at same time) but if I get it password enabled the things I need to run will be ok.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 05 May 2009

Try Belkins website and download the driver for your modem router - disconnect it, run the driver, connect when it says connect then it will probably give you the option to put in a passsword. And as the French say "there you havee it"
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 06 May 2009

It wont be a driver but some sort of installation/setup package (routers dont have drivers as such) (and thats a note so billy knows what to look for!)

my net gear router has instructions underneath.
ImageImage