Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Pistons

Post by mat_the_cat » 11 Mar 2011

This is a side valve engine too, very well engineered to have lasted this long. You can still get spares for it too which I find surprising.

I don't know about racing, it's more of a plodder really...
Image Image Image Image

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 11 Mar 2011

Philhod wrote:compression that low they will run on paraffin
I guess that puts a new meaning to "smoke him"? :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Mar 2011

:lol: :lol: Err yes, you could say that and from the colour of it you would think they were electing a Pope.
Different carb on that Mat and you would get 30 out of that, it's quite modern.

I bored and stroked a 600 BSA, out to 798 ok 800. and put a chair on it and a 32 tooth back sprocket. It upped the top speed to 78mph for the same revs, would run all day at 70 then start to pluck (seize). If you stopped, let it cool for 1/2 an hour, chucked some water over it and stuck another pint of oil in, it would run for another 8 hrs.

I had a split tank on one, in the 70's, paraffin one side petrol the other. Town work petrol country the other. 8) :lol: :lol: Happy daze
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 11 Mar 2011

Philhod wrote::I had a split tank on one, in the 70's, paraffin one side petrol the other. Town work petrol country the other. 8) :lol: :lol: Happy daze
Dad was telling me about that once - quite common during and after the war and he had both bikes and a Bond that ran this way. Not sure if the Bond was one of Lawries prototypes or not or whether it was a common alteration. Dad had a couple of prototypes in his time, including a van that he had to test drive (shakedown) to Portsmouth and back - with a top speed of 30mph.
OK this was 1951, but even so....
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Mar 2011

Was quite common in the 70's too. Petrol prices nearly doubled in a few short years and the government issued ration books, (I've still got mine somewhere)

It's getting near the same now! £1.39 near me. :twisted: bent bastards. They are ever increasing their profits like double this year, yet they bleat about not making it on sales.
Well fucking give it away then, if it matters that little to you. You can just imagine this lot slapping a 100% tax on fuck all and then going err no wait.................... :lol:

It must have been a one off that 4 stroke bond :? all the ones I've seen are 2 strokers and they won't run on paraffin...well not for long anyway. :)

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 12 Mar 2011

Gas as well...
Calor wrote:As I am sure you will be aware the current instability in North Africa and the Middle East has resulted in a sharp increase in the price of oil products - including LPG.

All the indications are that this situation will be with us for the foreseeable future and therefore we unfortunately have to introduce a 3 pence per litre plus VAT surcharge with effect from 14 March 2011.

We have kept the surcharge to the minimum possible and will keep the situation under constant review. This surcharge will appear as a separate line on your Calor invoice
Yet if you look at the European price of propane there is no such sharp increase - in fact there's been a reasonable drop since the beginning of the year - yet forecourt prices have continued to rise. Someone's pulling our plonkers. :evil:
Image Image Image Image

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 12 Mar 2011

Philhod wrote: It must have been a one off that 4 stroke bond :? all the ones I've seen are 2 strokers and they won't run on paraffin...well not for long anyway. :)
There were a couple, I have some blurry photos of the prototypes which got a bond enthusisast very excited last year when I showed him. As dad said though, top speed was about the same as a slug with some rather heavy shopping so it never went into production.
AFAIK it was a variation of the Villiers and Im sure he saod it was 250 or 350 cc whcih was double the normal units, but dont quote me on that and of course without resorting to phoning Derek Acorah up I cant ask dad these days.

Ah, here is one of them (type 3 prototype):

Bond WOrks Outing

Dad (hanging off the back) with Lawrie Bond
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 12 Mar 2011

This isn't just recent Mat, it's been going on for 40 years. Oil price goes up, fuel follows it.
Oil price comes down, fuel price goes down about a 1/4 of what it went up. This has happened steadily, every time, except for when there was a picket on the petrol refineries by motorists and truckers, that time it came down the full amount of the previous increase.
That's how fuel prices have rocketed away from the US and Europe in general.
Successive governments have continued to milk the cash cow and this is mainly why transport and production costs lost us millions of jobs, as the work went elsewhere, in fact anywhere where companies weren't strangled by high fuel costs. The 2 other things that are out of proportion are property and food, property also contributing to the former. You only have to look at the vast profits that are made in those areas, to see where we get the title "rip off Britain"
Rant over!!! :twisted: :twisted: :oops:

Great pics those FT. Yes they were Villiers strokers of the size you said, the 350 becoming the norm in final production.
If you run a stroker on paraffin, you can't add much oil, or it won't light. Therefore all the oily bits start to scream (literally) quite quickly :)

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 15 Mar 2011

Smiffy, does this one run, or will you be spending the next few year rebuilding it?
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 16 Mar 2011

his bike? It goes, for now.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 16 Mar 2011

It goes very nicely thanks!
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 16 Mar 2011

Vanny wrote:will you be spending the next few year rebuilding it?

Hmmmm.... I want that CX... (and a milllion other things!)... :wink:
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 17 Mar 2011

It will have rusted away caked in cowshit, before you get anywhere near it. :P

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 18 Mar 2011

it pretty much already has.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 18 Mar 2011

:lol: :lol: :lol: Succinct as ever 8)