Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Viscous fan versus electric fan

Post by mat_the_cat » 20 Sep 2011

Wimp! :lol:
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Sep 2011

I posted about one I made some years back. The principle was just a simple ali box with 3 tubes in it. Filled with cold water, mounted along the feed from turbo to I/M, with a cold air feed to the box. You just topped up the water occasionally. the water always stayed much colder than the ambient air under the bonnet.
Ran very well for about a year after I did it, then he moved back to Scotland and I lost touch.
I don't think I still have the sketches but they might be in the workshop.

I only used ali because I had access to any amount of it then. It could easily be made from thin ms sheet and tube.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 20 Sep 2011

ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Sep 2011

Ah! The one I made was for the 17 td engine and I fitted it in place of the top mounted air to air one, which although it works, is not really very efficient.
He claimed it made the car smoother considerably quicker and used less fuel, but not having driven it in anger I wouldn't know.

It should improve things on the 19 n/a as well, as any cooling of the charge will increase the mass considerably.
There is actually a formula to work out the % increase in mass in a given volume of air, for every degree drop in temperature. But I'm buggered if I can remember it. That Google bloke will probably know :)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.