General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

New rules?

Post by Philhod » 10 Oct 2011

Does anyone know the way this new insurance rule works?

Having got K39 ready for MOT, once passed, I will have to insure it if I take it off SORN.
If that is correct I will have to leave it on sorn until sold and adjust the selling price accordingly.

I just tried to get short term insurance for it and no insurer is interested.

If gov.uk is insisting on this surely they should have legislated for this type of insurance to be available.........
.....no wait..............
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: New rules?

Post by mat_the_cat » 10 Oct 2011

That's right, if a car is taxed it must also be insured. Bastards.

Did you get my PM about the switch?
Image Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 10 Oct 2011

The simple answer is THE car has to be insured in it's own right to go on the road full stop, including to a pre booked mot. You can drive it to the same mot whilst sorn provided it's insured as above (purely because you CAN'T tax it without mot).

You can't tax it without it's own insurance anyway so i don't see why you would tax it now without a buyer? As you said, the sensible thing to do would be factor it into the price, or like everyone else just sell it untaxed as your sorn is automatically void upon sale anyway and the buyer would have to insure it to drive away.

Your best and cheapest bet is just to trailer it. But obviously, no one can test drive it unless it's insured irrespective of whether they have their own insurance.

If it's any consolation, i've not been able to get ANY temp insurance for the past few months and i have a feeling it's in some way connected to this new rule.
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Oct 2011

Which is why I asked I think Jay. It just felt like another stitch up.

Like if you want to insure a second car, you can't have your 6/7 or whatever years NCB, because it wasn't earned on the second vehicle. :x
I thought it was your driving record that earned the bonus, silly me, it looks like it may be the car???
Fucking clever that is.
That's one I think really is bent. I mean, if you are the only driver on each car policy, you can hardly drive them both at the same time now, can you? :twisted:

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 11 Oct 2011

Philhod wrote: That's one I think really is bent. I mean, if you are the only driver on each car policy, you can hardly drive them both at the same time now, can you? :twisted:
Isn't that to discourage the illegal practice of "fronting"?

After all, you can't drive 2 cars at once but if you have an "other drivers" or "any" drivers clause on your policy, then someone could be driving the other car. "Fronting" though only becomes an issue if the other driver has the major proportion of time in the other or even each car.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Oct 2011

there is a company that does nothing but short term insurance, from 1 day to a month. I'll be buggered if I can remember who now though.. I'll ask tomorrow!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Oct 2011

:) Ta Doc. did you get my pm?

If you have, as I have, proposer only on the policy ( my wife doesn't drive ) Then that premis doesn't arise W2g

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 11 Oct 2011

Yes but you also get caught in that financial net set to catch others as you could add drivers later, the fact you choose not to doesn't count to them. [no]
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 11 Oct 2011

docchevron132 wrote:there is a company that does nothing but short term insurance, from 1 day to a month. I'll be buggered if I can remember who now though.. I'll ask tomorrow!
http://www.dayinsure.com/ :lol:
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

If it doesn't matter to them, how come you have to supply named driver details and pay any extra premium, should you wish to change your policy.
I always get extra discount for a proposer only policy, because they recognise the lower risk, so I can't see where the extra risk suddenly appears with a second car and only one driver.
Therefore I feel I have every right to call them a load of fucking robbers.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Ta Mat I'll contact them and see what they can offer.
How come they never came up on Google?? :)

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 11 Oct 2011

Philhod wrote:I always get extra discount for a proposer only policy,
Oddly, that's not a rule of thumb. My insurance is £50 a year cheaper with Clare on it as a learner! Go figure! :shock:

Another Temp site is http://www.tempcover.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (or .com, can't remember). I meant that i haven't been able to add a temp car to my current policy for the last few months, something which i could alweays do before :evil:
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Ta Jay. I'll have a look at them also :wink:

I think a lot of insurers make their own rules up as they go alomg...and they're still a bunch of robbers. :)

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 11 Oct 2011

These days i have no problem with paying for insurance, mind you, mine's a lot cheaper than it used to be. The only thing that gets my back up is "admin" fees and cancellation fees! Bearing in mind that 9 times out of 10 you do the changes yourself online so they don't have to even pick up a phone or push a pencil!

Earlier in the year they wanted 125 notes to cancel a policy when there was only 120 left to complete the last 9 months of the year!

The main problem is the gov constantly finding ever more ingenius ways to screw us harder and dressing it up as all-important legislation for our own good. I guess we're just an easy target, some day we'll revolt... ;)
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You just continued my rant.
What you say is true. Polititians never learn from history, even recent history.

Keep pushing folks into a corner and sooner or later they will turn round and lamp you one.

I will get serious for a minute here, because it's something that really concerns me.

We started off with nothing, I'm not making anything out of it just stating a fact.
We fought tooth and nail to improve our situation and a lot of us achieved enough to live on and prosper.
Times are now very hard, todays citizens are not used to having nothing and a lot of the old rants that spurred me on, I am starting to hear again. The vast wealth of this country (over 80%of it) is owned by just over 10% of the populace. This figure has hardly changed in over a 100 years, while folks are reasonably comfortable (y numb) sorry, facts such as that are largely ignored. But as more and more families lose their homes, split up, can't afford food let alone a holiday and get ripped off 90% of the time. That's when remarks like Jays could very soon become reality.
I own my own place, have enough to live on (just) and don't owe anybody anything. But if a revolt did come and I lost in the process, I started with nothing and I could do it again, therefore any permanent change to the status quo, would have my wholeharted support.

That is all!!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 12 Oct 2011

the primary role of government is to protect property from the majority..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 12 Oct 2011

the primary role of government is to protect their property and wealth, from the majority..
Fixorated. :lol:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 13 Oct 2011

it's an old and well known quote!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance