General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Vanny
Site Admin

BXs fallen to the scrappage scheme

Post by Vanny » 29 Sep 2014

In 2009 the Government launched its 'Scrappage Scheme' under which owners of vehicle could trade there old car with a Government backed £1000 towards a new car. While my BX Survived the scrappage, not all where so lucky.

This week, after a Freedom of Information request, the Government have released the details of all vehicles traded in under the Scrappage Scheme, and in places it makes for eye watering reading.
While the data entry is rather clumsy, after a bit of cleaning the summary for all Citroen models looks like this;
The full details can be read on the Gov.UK Website
Read more about the Scrappage Scheme in the Wikipedia entry.
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Re: BXs fallen to the scrappage scheme

Post by Way2go » 30 Sep 2014

No CX's went to the crusher while the scheme was in motion then? Seems unlikely such a notable car could be included in unidentifiable other models? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 30 Sep 2014

There where only 3 CX's listed, so not enough to warrant a new row.

It's probably worth noting that the Xsara entry includes the Xsara Picasso, and unfortunately insufficient of them where scrapped imho.

Most surprisingly is an entry for a C2, which could well be a typo, but quite surprising if someone really did weigh in there presumably not very old C2.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 30 Sep 2014

AFAIK it just needed to have an MOT and not necessarily road worthy. So if you've pranged your C2, you might think you can get more money back under the scrappage scheme rather than weighing it in.

Not too bad for the BX compared to Saxos and AXs! But I suppose it depends on the proportion around at the time - a really interesting figure would be the % scrapped versus the number on the road/SORN in 2009.

EDIT - WIkipedia says the car needed to be over 10 years old, which would rule out the C2 :?
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

mat_the_cat wrote:a really interesting figure would be the % scrapped versus the number on the road/SORN in 2009.
Hmmm, thats not a bad little suggestion as i think that data already exists . . .

As for the car needing to be over 10 years old, i'm not sure if or how they bothered to enforce that. I'm sure a 'typo' would solve the problem with regard the dealer claims system. They obviously didn't bother to make decent checks against the VIN or Reg or i assume the data quality would be higher?
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

Not a bad suggestion Mr Fenwick

So between the end of 2008 and 2009 the UK 'lost' about 768 taxed BX's off the road, of which 137 went to scrappage, which is about 18% of the total lost

But actually year on year, it seems the scrappage didn't make any difference to the rate of decline in taxed UK BX's

And when you consider 97% of the cars taxed in 2013 have already been taxed in 2014, I wonder if the total BX ownership has some what leveled of?
ImageImage

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 30 Sep 2014

sad so many ax's went, especially as our one has just sailed through the mot needing only a number plate bulb.

and our ax's present for passing is a shiney new clutch
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Oct 2014

AX and Saxo became boy racers, which I think points to the scrappage rate. :lol:

I think you are right there Vanny, given the number of BX Project/ Club members it was bound to level off eventually.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.