BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Madcav
Site Admin

'Igntion sometimes clicks'?

Post by Madcav » 25 Mar 2008

TZD 1.7TD: '...when starting sometimes you have to hold the key over otherwise it only clicks...' Any idead what that means please? I'm assuming it's something to do with the ignition (where the key goes) being fucked, does that make sense?
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 25 Mar 2008

prob the solenoid on the starter motor...either a new starter motor needed or fit a relay to provide more ooopmh to the solenoid...worth cleaning up the contacts nice and pretty tho'
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 25 Mar 2008

I did wonder that mate but any idea why would turning the key sort it? I thought you'd need to twat the starter motor to make it work if it, or the solenoid, was knackered? Cheers.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Mar 2008

As odd as it sounds, and I've had the same 'pattern' from a few starter motors (either knackered or off a scrappies), if you keep turning and releasing the ignition key to bring in the starter motor, then it eventually works. The problem is always worse when the weather/engine is hot. It's as tho the solenoid still actuates, but not enough to make contact and turn the actual starter motor, so could be:

1)Poor internal contacts within the solenoid
2)Poor contacts to the solenoid
3)Dodgy ignition switch
4)Low Batt voltage (unlikely unless other symptoms...)
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 26 Mar 2008

i'm in agreement with the bandit

also

shite engine earths will have similar symptoms, in my yoof i used to self jump start the 19rd by connecting a jump lead from battery negative to the bell housing and violet it would work again!
ImageImage

Terry
Location: No.1 at the end of the bar...[in the Milton Arms,Rotherham]

Post by Terry » 26 Mar 2008

A crappy live terminal on my battery gave me the same [and worse] probs on my tzd ........... .........I cured it* by turning the + terminal over on the battery [errrr .........it gave it a better/tighter "connection" :?] ...................I think there may still be posts on here about it.
hth
Tel.
*Edit ............I f'kin hope I've cured it anyroads .........thats fcuked it,now i've mentioned it :shock: ...............it aint let me down fer 3 months,watch the sadbrat not start on me nex' time :evil:
I've reached the same conclusion in life as my dog ....if I cant eat it,drink it,hump it or fight it ........I'll just piss on it,and walk away.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 26 Mar 2008

It could also be them pesky burnt contacts in the switch itself.
But Bandito is probably spot on the money.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 26 Mar 2008

Cheers dudes. What's a staret likely to cost second hand, are they easy to get hold of and what kid of job are they to fit to a mechanically cack handed chimp like me please? Thanks.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 26 Mar 2008

with regard to dodgy battery terminals , I never had anymore problems after I fitted the gangster bling bling gold positive terminal clamp as recommended by the docmeister
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Terry
Location: No.1 at the end of the bar...[in the Milton Arms,Rotherham]

Post by Terry » 26 Mar 2008

Madcav wrote:Cheers dudes. What's a staret likely to cost second hand, are they easy to get hold of and what kid of job are they to fit to a mechanically cack handed chimp like me please? Thanks.
A local scrappy charged me £25 [exchange] a couple o' years ago.
If I can do it should'nt be beyond most peeps ability,it took me all day,but but that was going to the scrappy,coming back to get the starter off,going back to the scrappy with the old one etc .......& stopping for fags/coffee/chats with me mates etc.
IIRC the only thing is you have to remove the plastic turbo feed pipe [although I cant check now 'cos my tzd is in my lock-up two streets away].
A new one is £73.50 [exch] in the 2007 GSF catalogue....part # N90113.
I've reached the same conclusion in life as my dog ....if I cant eat it,drink it,hump it or fight it ........I'll just piss on it,and walk away.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Mar 2008

Although short term a scrappies is the cheapest solution, I did 2 in the space of about 12 months and got pissed off with it and 'did a GSF'. If you go GSF route, get a Bosch or Valeo unit if you can and double check by counting the number of teeth on the gear cog thingy cos GSF (god bless them) fucked it up. As Terry says not a difficult job but you'll need an 8mm allen key..

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 26 Mar 2008

Yep, it's easier with the turbo trunking off, just a couple of jubilee clips and 5 10mm bolts along the slam panel will see that off.
Then as Bandit prescribed you'll need a 8mm allen socket, or key.
Three bolts secure the starter to the bellhousing.
Disconnect the battery before you start.
On the top of the starter the main positive cable is secured to the solonoid by a 13mm nut, and the trigger wire will either be a push on connector, or more likely a 8mm nut.
Shouldn't take more than an 30 mins if you dont stop for fags / beer / piss etc..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.