BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Vanny
Site Admin

changing sump

Post by Vanny » 04 Aug 2008

doing oil change on thursday, might as well finally change the sump from tin to alloy aircon sump (and you never know i might even fit aircon before i die). Now i've asked this before and i always forget, does the aircon sump need the paper gasket? pretty sure it does not. Assuming it doesn't does it need sealant and if so, which one? I've got a tube of black stuff in the car which assume i bought for the job?

I might add the oil has only done 3000 and this will be the 4th change in 5000 but its been in there for 8 months ish now, might as well come out for £12.50 from GSF! (Quartz 7000 as prescribed by the Doc).
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Aug 2008

Never done this, but if you think abaout it, the tin one is flexible and can get away with a paper job.
Alloy castidy bitz are not, could be slightly warped and therefore will need gunge of somesort.
Usually use RTV or any silicone based stuff for these types of job :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Aug 2008

Indeed. Tin sump, use gasket.
Alloy sump, no gasket.

A layer of black silicone is fine, it's what I've always used and never yet had a leak.

You'll also obviously need the correct bolts, which are longer, but assume you have them.
And dont do them up too tight, alloy sumps are unbelievably brittle.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 05 Aug 2008

yes i have the alloy bolts neatly aranged in a piece of card so they go back in the right way around! I'm so amazingly clever :D

blergh might need to do some welding (or get duct tape!)
ImageImage