Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

BX foible - Engine mount type things

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 Nov 2008

Is it just me, or is one of the really annoying things about a bx is that the engine/gbox wobbles or rather pivots about it's two mounts with that bastard-of-a-mount-to-change underneath doing something only half useful!

I've not changed the gbox/engine mounts but I know that even if/when I do, there will be only a marginal improvement. The rocking I'm talking about is as you ease off the gogo juice and then accelerate again. I guess they tried to ease this on the X****a and XM by putting same bush as is on the bottom up top as well, but it's only a marginal imrpovement. So was thinking...

1) Could put a X****a/XM top mount on the bx and fix it to summat on the rather flimsy firewall/bulkhead

or

2) Use a damper to let the engine move but prevent the rocking.

What do you thinks?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 Nov 2008

Can't say I've noticed this problem Bandit, could it be that your particular mounts are just knackered and need replacement. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 Nov 2008

They probably do mate, but I've renewed 'em before on the old TD and on the valver and found that whilst the problem is reduced, it's still there and annoying. Maybe I'm being fussy...?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 11 Nov 2008

I probably won't feel it the same way on mine as it's an auto anyway but I don't remember my manuals being particularly bad for this. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Nov 2008

Assuming the gearbox mount and upper engine mount are in good condition then it's always the big fucker in the lower mount (although it's not really a mount at all, just a torque link really).
There's a couple of things you can so to lessen the movement, but at the cost of extra vibration..
One is to fit the big bush with the lands in line with the subframe and engine, that really limits the to and fro movement, but the vibration in the car is multiplied by probably ten times or so.

The other option is poly bushes, but again, they'll shake your fooking teeth out!

The fitment of an upper torque link is a bit erronious really I think, the actual difference to vibration is minimal really.

However, I do rate the damper idea, and I may look into that!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 11 Nov 2008

If you're getting that much movement then there's definitely something amiss. PSA made a right song-and-dance throughout the 80's and 90's about the engine being "suspended in the engine bay rather than mounted in it" to reduce vibration and create a smooth ride, so it really should do that.

One thing I have noticed that does make a difference is on later 405's, 406's, 306's and Xsaras they have a small damper mounted to the accelerator lever on the pump. I always thought they were a load of old bollocks, and that "I can drive perfectly smoothly without that thanks", but the difference is quite remarkable insofar that with one fitted (and working!) you cannot create driveline shunt, no matter how harsh you are with the go pedal.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Nov 2008

Good point!
My TD isn't a problem, although all the mounts are new but there's more shunt on the valver than I'd like, and again, all the mounts are new.
Cant really damp the throttle on that though!
TBH you only resally notice it when ragging it, which I rarely do so I'm not that fussed...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 11 Nov 2008

Don't know why but I've always noticed it - 'shunt' is it? I even shimmed the two trapezoid shaped bushes that cushion the movement of the engine mount and that worked quite well.
The lower bush is recent and not oil contaminated and even positioned at 45deg to the original position (so I guess that 1/2 way between orig posn and what you were describing doc?).
I suspect I'm being a bit of a fuss arse but personally I rekon there's good room for improvement.
Don't those dampers make it feel as though you're not really controlling the car David?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Nov 2008

:shock: My 19 na is dead smooth on overrun so no shunt occurrs

Years ago I had a Montego 20 diesel that rocked something shocking, even on hard acceleration with the driveshafts trying to race each other.
Flick it into 3 downhill and the rocker cover almost hit the bulkhead

New mounts + a SAAB automatic bonnet stay mounted between a bracket bolted through a head bolt and a bracket bolted to the front slam panel
cured it completely :P :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 11 Nov 2008

Was that a gas strut Phil? I thought they might transmit a bit of vibration as it'll always try and force the engine as far as it can go in one direction. Praps it's just me then - we need a team test drive!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Nov 2008

Yeah the old 900 had 2 struts that lifted the bonnet for you.(it was rather heavy) and you had to forcibly push it back down (it hinged at the front)
My first idea was to use both, one from the bulkhead and one to the slam panel but it was too long to fit (even cut down) at the bulkhead end, so I fitted one and it worked fine :P
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: BX foible - Engine mount type things

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Mar 2009

another idea........refit original bush on the lower engine block mount. Rotate it through 90deg. Ooooh, watch out for engine vibrations I hear you say!? If it feels too vibratory.....Drill a hole through the solid part of the rubber to increase wobbliness and decrease vibrations?

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 26 Mar 2009

Tried it.
apart from making it shake like a belly dancer on crack at 2250 RPM it didn't really improve things.

Dad modded his a bit, by turning the big bush through about 45deg, so it was parallel with the back of the block like.
Made a huge difference, not sure why though, cos I tried that on the valver, and it made it even worse!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

belly dancer on crack at 2250
I didn't know belly dancers could spin that fast! :P

Did you drill some holes in yours mate to soften it a bit?

I've done a 45 although I have mine 90 out from your dads I think. It's still shit but i think the g/box one is shafted......damn things!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

G/box one is a piece of piss to do at least..

Yeah, I drilled an 8mm hole either side.
The only thing I noticed was that the bush (new BTW) got very old and flimsy very quickley.
Like 3000 miles and it was no use, even as a catholic condom.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

They don't seem to last long at the best of times mate.
The g/box mnt will be done when I swap me engines in a couple of weeks!!!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

I duno, the old mount on the TD when it was a 19D did over 500,000 miles.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

must be the gsf crap I buy then. Half of their stuff is shite!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

It is.
Some of their stuff is ok, but alot of it is questionable at best.
Take one new TCA for the 205.
Bottom balljoint fucked, after 40 miles. Failed the MoT for it.
Replacement no better, third time lucky.

TCE's for the BX, shite.
Bottom ball joints for BX, utter shite.

And to cap it all, front discs for 16v. Both come in one box.
So why was one a vented disc, and the other a solid disc?
Bit of a pisser when you've got your car in bits 40 miles from the place...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Had the same with bottom bj's and the tre's mate. ECP parts are better and both the tre's and lower bj's are lemfroder OE. Much better!!!!!!!!!!