Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Forum Support

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Jan 2010

for the reasons listed by yourself mate.
I'm sure I could make it work all proper like if I knew more about it and could be arsed, but frankly I'm too old to fuck about. I dont buy a ready meal and expect to have to fucking grow the ingredients, harvest them and then fucking cook them. It should work straight out the box!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 23 Jan 2010

docchevron132 wrote:...... I dont buy a ready meal and expect to have to fucking grow the ingredients, harvest them and then fucking cook them. It should work straight out the box!
:lol: :lol: Great analogy! I agree mate. I'll have a review of my browser doobery!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Right, I have ditched Chrome and now have a hot fox instead! BUT, it still doesn't open a new tab/window for links. I've also searched my profile for any preferences I may have not ticked etc but to no avail!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Jan 2010

ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Jan 2010

Hmm, now i've changed this once, just checked and its openeing in the same window for me too. Off out on the piss soon so erm, you'll have to wait!
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

You go girl and piss away, I'll be waitin'! :P

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 04 Aug 2011

[like]

^ Like!
ImageImage

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 04 Aug 2011

[like]

I [like] that
Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Aug 2011

I fucking love that!
[like]
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 22 Sep 2011

Vanny wrote:Hmm, now i've changed this once, just checked and its openeing in the same window for me too. Off out on the piss soon so erm, you'll have to wait!
We're still waiting on this one, must have been one hell of a piss-up! :wink:

I generally like this forum style better than BXC but The BXC forum operates more smoothly in the following ways:

1) All links open in a new window. Here links in some forum headings open in new windows and others like this don't.

2) This forum keeps signing you out after a very short period whereas with BXC you remain signed in for a lengthy period.

3) The most annoying is when you are submitting a post and the forum tells you "the submitted form is invalid, try submitting it again". Sometimes this works on the second submission but it may ask you to sign in again first after submitting it again which has a knock on effect of trying to recover what you typed in the first place! :roll:

I'm not singing the praises of BXC just providing the comparisons so you know its the website and don't need to suspect the computer or browser.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 22 Sep 2011

Way2go wrote:I'm not singing the praises of BXC just providing the comparisons so you know its the website and don't need to suspect the computer or browser.
Interesting. I access the web generally on 3 computers, all running Firefox 5.0. On all of them I can stay logged in on BXC and BXP indefinately, so whilst it might not be your computer at fault, I don't think it's something specific to the BXP site. I tend to automatically open links in a new tab, but if I forget then on here they always seem to open within the same tab. I get the "the submitted form is invalid, try submitting it again" message if I take a while to type a reply, but so far have never been asked to sign in again because of it.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 22 Sep 2011

Way2Go,

1) For the record, i did look at it at the time of making that post, and i thought i had it licked. There are 4 different ways of adding a link to an external source. I'd sorted three of them, but evidently didn't get the fourth (i've gone through and checked them now, they work for all new links, old links might not work!). If they weren't working for you, then you must not have been putting the links in right :P

2)Nothing to do with me. You should be logged in forever. I use IE8 and 9 on 4 different computers without a problem. It also keeps we logged in on Firefox. As said before, and further up in this thread, i'm happy to support current versions of IE, but with so many dodgy browsers available, its hard to cater for them all. The last time i looked at the log files, there where a total of 15 different browsers used to access the site, i can't keep up with all of them.

I find the way BXC logs you out willy nilly a right faff, a lot of the reason is because the DNS side isn't correctly setup, i've put a lot of work into this particular conundrum. If you give me some more data i'll see if there is a known problem, now is a good time as i've been messing with the site every night for the last two weeks!

Typically the BXC will only keep me logged on for three days.

3) Again, this has been raised before. There is a connection (not login, but connection) time out to stop hacking. If you keep changing pages then it resets. The problem comes when posting long messages, taking 5 minutes plus to write. I'm a little reluctant to do too much about this as it is a security feature, it also keeps costs down. I'm not totally sure i can remember how to extend the connection time out either :(
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 22 Sep 2011

If it's of any use, I stay permanently logged in on all forums for the same duration. Except, once in a while (maybe monthly but probably longer) i get logged out of them all AT THE SAME TIME. I assume this to be a cache-clearing security feature of IE8 as it's always done it.

I certainly don't experience random log-outs here or anywhere else. Although i do get the resubmit issue on long postings and prepared for it in advance (i tend to shut my gob quicker - or alternatively clipboard the post before submitting just in case, but i've never been logged out by it).

Personally i think you're all just a big bunch of girls :wink:
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 Sep 2011

Well I'm on Safari and it stays logged in for me. Yes I get the re submit occasionally, but that's all.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Sep 2011

I never have to log in here, on BXC, FB, truck and bus forum (yes, exciting name huh!) and all manner of other shit house places ont he web, except for the CCC forum which requires 300000000 log ins every ten minutes, hence I gave up with it..
I've had the time out occur here, but it never loses any data, and I jusr resubmit, job done.. BXP is still by far the most stable web based thing I use..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 23 Sep 2011

Thanks Vanny, interesting that others get different effects? :?

Could it be the settings for cookies on the computer? I set mine to expire at the end of each session but the settings are global aren't they and cannot be just assigned to websites of choice?

I'm on talk-talk and their broadband router occasionally loses sync, would this cause re sign in issues? It does for BXC which I accept, but BXP is better when this occurs as at least you maintain the "unread" flags unlike BXC which annoyingly resets everything to read after regaining sync.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Sep 2011

W2G

It most likely IS settings on the computer. Each website creates the cookie whcih is stored on your computer, and the BXP cookie is configured by me through the PHPBB3 software. This is one of the reasons you get different results and time out times on different websites, if the cookie is badly configured it will fail! Thats why BXC was absolutely ghastly for so long, but has significantly improved since Xac started hosting.

The IP address that you actually connect from will change when you turn the router on and off, but this should not effect the cookie recognition. I turn mine off every day and dont suffer log in issues on the BXP.

The most likely cause of the problems will be some where between a bad browser configuration and crap antivirus/infection/malware/spamware/spyware mostly people believe they need numerous products to protect them when in fact they need antivirus, occasional scans, and good internet technique.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 Sep 2011

Talk Talk have just been crowned worst supplier in UK :oops:

That could have some bearing on it I suppose..............or not.......... :P What do I know?

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 24 Sep 2011

Really Phil? My parents and my grandparents are both on Talk Talk, they have never had any problems. Though i've always had the feeling they dont do customer service.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 25 Sep 2011

I think that was the main criteria Vanny, shit c/s. Which of course you don't know unless you have to use it. Lots of folks will have had a good general service and never had to call, like your family.

Lots of people moan about Virgin, but I have had no trouble and never even had to call them.