General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Cartman

government crappage allowance

Post by Cartman » 29 Apr 2009

where do i start? what a bunch of fucking arseholes they are...

trying to encourage wastefulness in favour of shifting bits of shiny metal NOBODY can afford! furhermore, why give £2k to those who can pretty much afford a new car? they dont NEED the money? it could be put to much better use methinks.

also, whats the obsession with new cars? they will still need fixing and will cost a fair sum if they go wrong, which will be something bobs backstreet garage will not be able to fix, thus meaning the end for your cheap garage.

finally, and MOST oddly, why do we live in a society where when something gets old we just throw it away? how pathetic!

rant over
1990 (H) BX 14 TGE 87k TRITON GREEN

chris

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: government crappage allowance

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Apr 2009

Ok then!
Having a bad day young un?
Well, firstly this is nothing more than a financial stimulus package for the car industry, ironic since we have virtually no car industry left in the UK now, so it will mainly "help" foreign manufacturers.
This is a shortterm package that ends next March.
It just hides under this veil of "environmentalism" but even tree huggers admit that it is better to keep an older car on the road in good condition than buy a new one every few years due to the carbon output during manufacter of the car.

The scheme has been extremley sucessful in places like Germany.

Personally I have no obsession at all with new cars, there isn't a new car I'd want to own TBH.
I'll keep the BX's for as long as I possibly can.

The entire planet turned into wasteful creatures a long time ago, some of which is down to the east making products for peanuts. After all, why repair something when it's cheaper to replace?
Ok, that doesn't always apply with cars, but the "throwaway" society has been with us for a longtime, and I fear it wont fuck off anytime soon.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 29 Apr 2009

I'm worried it might mean the end of cheap £100 cars too...I've never paid more than £700 for a vehicle (and that was a van WITH caravan!) but if every 10+ year old car is scrapped when it gets traded in for a new one, there's obviously going to be less around. Plus they may get snapped up by people who (say) have a 2 year old car at the moment, want to change after 3 years. So they buy an oldish car, own it for a year and get £2k off the price of a new car that they could afford anyway. Bumping up the price in the process.

Well done to the Government. [clap] [clap] [clap]

(Sarcasm intended)
Image Image Image Image

Cartman

Post by Cartman » 29 Apr 2009

mhhrrrr im just a bit confused by the shite that these politicians come out with.

the way i see it is they are the managers of the country... i am the manager of my shop. CORRECT

they do a shit job... now if i do a shit job i get fired... CORRECT

lets fucking fire the fuckers, or something!

the ONLY new cars i like are the C5 and C6! period! (plus the honda insight hydrogen car-nla here i believe)

why try and take away our freedom to drive what we want (within reason). soon driving will be for the upper classes soon and i will be priced out of motoring, which is something that scares me
1990 (H) BX 14 TGE 87k TRITON GREEN

chris

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Apr 2009

That day is coming.
The problem with government is that they are all as bad as eachother.
Regardless of who wins the next general election, and lets face it, it's likely to the torys, we are all still fucked.
Much as they managed the last time Labour were in power, ND is now, well, fucking through the fucking roof, infact it's hit the stratosphere.
So, less public spending and higher taxes are here to stay for a very very long time.
All this bailing banks out and bullshit political gesturing is shorttermism of criminal thinking.
In short, we are all fucked.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 29 Apr 2009

docchevron1472 wrote:In short, we are all fucked.
We're all doomed! Doomed I tells ye!

It'll still be the same whoever's in charge - the Tories can criticise but can't promise they won't reverse things if and when they come to power. The Lib Dems can promise all they want, as there's little chance of them getting elected. You can't please all the people all the time, but it's a lot easier to piss off most people most of the time.

So if we are all encouraged to spend lots of money on a new car, that might actually increase the amount of debt as people put more money on credit if they can't afford a new car outright.
Image Image Image Image

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 29 Apr 2009

I don't know, I think the end of any car over ten (for arguments sake) years old being scrapped is a long way off and unlikely to happen.
It's not worth panicking over just yet not that many people can afford a new car anyhow. I expect the makers love it even more because every used car taken of the road means less competition for whatever shite they're churning ut these days.
It's laughable really as anyone who bought a second hand car is recycling when you think about it and how much pollutant/C02 does a car factory chuck out? Fucking loads I shouldn't wonder.
Fuck 'em anyway whilst there's a cheap old runner out there I'll be driving it and enjoying it.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 29 Apr 2009

docchevron1472 wrote: Well, firstly this is nothing more than a financial stimulus package for the car industry

oohohohhooohoo no it isnt squire, while the timing might make it seem that way, its part of a Europe wide scheme to increase the turn over of cars. I reckon mostly so we dont realise how shite new cars are! Think about the ruling on taxis and having to be under is it 8 years old. Why, not because of safety but to increase the turn over. It was just a bit easier to force taxis into it though!

i reckon by the time i retire cars over 10 years old will have been banned except for special restricted licensing, and all cars will be fitted with a tracker!
ImageImage

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 29 Apr 2009

Dont the Nips already do this? cars over a certain age get binned (sent to Ireland).
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 29 Apr 2009

Not quite, my under standing is that after 4 years they start getting 'MOT'd by in the most strictest sence to the point where they have to be better than the original factory produced car, and can not show any signs of aging and the emissions are meant to get miraculously better. Starting costs of the cars are much lower too so they can end up making a profit selling the cars to the UK/Ireland. If you have the money or the finess then yo can keep cars ont eh road, but they have to be concourse condition. SHould make that a rule in the UK, would see the end of a lot of rot boxes i guess
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Apr 2009

Do bear in mind that the scheme over here will end in March.
So it looks to me that it is purely to get people spending, which is what the government is desperate for us to do.

I concur Mat, the point though is that party colour is irrelevant now, whoever gets in will have no choice but to bone us for everything we have since the debt Brown has accrued is staggering.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 30 Apr 2009

We need to go back to a subsistence economy.
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 30 Apr 2009

here here
ImageImage

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Anyone else watch Grand Designs revisited last night - lucky bugger living in a wooden & straw bale house in the woods.
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

was gonna watch it, but its 4 years old now i think, and i've watched a few too many times already.
ImageImage

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

There was an update to it, he has added an annexe for his kids and a fookin brilliant workshop. Was also showing his veg plot and coppice - marvelous.
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

oooh, i dont think ive seen the 'Designs revisited' episode, bloody cheapo free view mentioned nothing about it being a revisited episode :(
ImageImage

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 30 Apr 2009

Dont the Nips already do this? cars over a certain age get binned (sent to Ireland).
Not just Ireland. A lot of grey imports were coming in through Southampton, though whether they still are I don't know. Eccentric 4x4s, SUVs, Mazda Bongos, VW Camper Van clones and the like.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 30 Apr 2009

yes grey imports are still coming in , I had a 94 Toyota lucida which is the previa over here 2.2 turbo diesel with panoramic sunroof and curtains, nice people carrier lousy tow car and they are prone to head gadket failure and cracked heads

lovely to sleep in though
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 30 Apr 2009

The Japs used to have to sell cars with over something like 30,000 miles or replace the engine with a brand new one. We then saw a lot of imported low mileage Jap engines until someone cottoned on they might as well sell the whole cars and the import game started off in earnest.
Shame about those Previas Mickey decent car except their notorious 'head gasket' issues as you pointed out.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.