Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Re: AX

Post by Vanny » 13 Jul 2009

its the first time the AX has failed in 14 years :( Boooo. brake cylinder was done a few years ago, but i did change the flexi hoses last year, and there is seepage. So i guess that its air and seepage causing the issue.
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 13 Jul 2009

Interesting.

Dave the nice man at the garage has just spoken to me (though more by luck than anything). To fix the problem they have replaced the cylinders and shoes. Cylinders to cure the problem of no rear brake effort by pedal, and shoes because the OS rear brake material was delaminating. Car has now past its test etc havent got the final bill yet though. Pretty good that its only taken them a day i guess.

Now the interesting bit. The handbrake is coming up quite a way, new cables last wednesday, mum reckons its always come up quite high, though i'm not so convinced. Also Dave reckons that usually the adjusters fail on not off, so the cable would go shorter not longer. I have to admit the teeth and movement looked pretty good.

He's advised that newer glued/not rivited pads have a tendancy to corode behind the friction material and fall off. THough i wonder if all the pummeling the hubs took getting the buggers off might have something to do with it?
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 13 Jul 2009

still think you could have got away with new seals on the cylinders [chin]

I shouldn't think all your hammering did any harm, the de-lamination was probably caused by
leaking fluid.
The only way clouting them would cause a problem is if you put a flat on the m/cn'd inside.
As well you know cast iron will not distort without becoming several pieces.

When fitting new shoes I usually adjust the toothed wheel until it's right. then take off the drum, then work the handbrake up and down....err....a lot.
The drum will now not go on unless you back the cable off a bit. refit drum, adjust up again result!!

handbrake works travel reduced ....................simples
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 14 Jul 2009

Vanny, my mam had a few AX's too and I have to say that with them when the adjusters died it always seemed to cause excess travel rather than over-adjustment. I always found it a truly shite system however, and even renewing the adjusters and cables would only restore normal operation for a short time. Not as crap as the CX handbrake however...
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 14 Jul 2009

It often used to be fun getting drums off passed the corroded bit beyond the shoes, usually made into a deeper step by any "bite" by the shoes into the drum. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 15 Jul 2009

:oops: Ah yes I'd forgotten that bit. with everything backed of prise the bastard off.
Then I used to put the drum in the vice and file off the ridge.
If you have a steady hand, you can use a finger grindstone in the drill :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.