General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Yet more fucking computer issues....

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Jul 2009

Ok, so along with the growuing hatred of windows and MS, PC's and everything technical...
every fucking day now I'm getting "windows delayed write failed" messages, something to do with temporary files or something?
On top of which IE keeps grinding to a near stop, then after 20 odd minutes I get an error window pop up sating "PCAV yadda yadda yadda somehting blah blah blah has encountered a problem and needs to close"..
Then IE springs back to life.
Now, I think PCAVT thing is pctools, which has been wank since it updated the main program a few weeks back.

So I'l ditch that and go back to AVG, but WTF is this delayed write shit all about?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Yet more fucking computer issues....

Post by Vanny » 29 Jul 2009

cache, to speed things up windows 'remembers' when you want to put something on a storage device, then slowly writes it as and when its ready, delaying the writing process. Can work really well. But its very unusual to get this problem with a healthy HD. Usually the problem is found on HD that are near to end of life, or on USB devices.

PCTools is shit, always been shit, always will be shit, although not as shit as norton antiviral programs, they're the shittest shit of the shits. AVG Free8 seems good, i've been using it on al my computers for 4+ years now, including those that i build for others. Sometimes needs a little computer nouse, but its good!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Jul 2009

So, my HD is about to cark it?
Shit....
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

i dont know, it could be a virus or something up with windows, or a motherboard issue, its a fault that is common with HD failure, but i would be surprised if that is the problem.

I'll see about getting you a new HD, then bring the computer up and we can reload windaz
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 29 Jul 2009

[chin] I've been using PC TOOLS spyware Doc and someone just gave me PC doc pro, which scans and rectifies faults throughout your system.
The Spyware one I have had for a year and found it works well with Macafee. The new one found over 60,000 faults around my system and everything is working ..err...fast :D
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

better run it again phil your computer has way more faults than that :D
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 29 Jul 2009

:) Oh yeah, sorry that was the second time I ran it, the first time it showed up about
300 thousand :oops:

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 30 Jul 2009

Philhod wrote::) Oh yeah, sorry that was the second time I ran it, the first time it showed up about
300 thousand :oops:
So it doesn't work "on the fly" like AVG then? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Jul 2009

I liked AVG, always did, I was persuaded by Terry to use PCTools.
Which doesn't work at all now, so I'm online with no virus protection at all..

That said, it's all going wrong now.
This "delayed write failed" shit pops up every few seconds, and now I'm getting a window opening up saying "no memory at line 100" and "no memory at line 108".. All I can do is shut IE down and start again.
Me thinks my internet days are over, tried to build a PC, that didn't work at all, this ones fucked and I'd rather spend the money on the bus, and taking a youbg lady out.. so fuck it!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

As you know, I suffered with a "flaky" computer crashing & reviving for a long while despite my best efforts of changing hard drive, Software investigations, OS reloads and OS upgrades. It came down to a defective memory module in the end which never showed up as fauty in any of the many system checks performed and only discovered in the end by substitution.

If you have more than standard memory installed might be a good idea to remove some then try again to see what it's like and then do a vice versa substitution and see if that performs differently to the first.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Well, there in lays another problem.
I bought some memory, right speed and evryfink.
Didn't fucking work in this PC though, so I went back to the old memory..

Oddly, all this shit started when PCTools did a major upgrade to a new operating platform.
Everything was fine until then, now it's all turned to shit, and I cant even delete PCTools, it just wont.
Now I'm getting PCTools recovery windows popping up, and I dont want to fucking recover it, I want it gone.
I really wish I'd bought a Mac, or learned how to use LINUX, MS are a bunch of cunts.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Oh great!
and now I have to log in to every fucking website I look at, everytime I fucking click on it...
and my favourites list has gone..

bugger.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

ahh, could PCTools be causing the delayed write failed thing?
I ask because PCTools failed because it couldn't write something to memory at line something or other, and since it died on it's arse I've not had the delayed write failed window pop up once this morning....

Soo, how the fuck can I actually get rid of PCTools?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 30 Jul 2009

Can you not destroy it by going (Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs) then selecting it and clicking remove?
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

docchevron1472 wrote:
Soo, how the fuck can I actually get rid of PCTools?
Jon's reply will work but may leave some bits behind.
Does it have an uninstall option alongside the program selection in the start/all programs menu?This will likely be better at cleaning up. Otherwise it's bite the bullet, reformat the hard disk and reload windows and this is still assuming that you don't have memory faults. (Did you take static precautions when handling the memory earlier as the charge on your hands can easily damage these devices?)
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 30 Jul 2009

Way2go wrote:
1) Jon's reply will work but may leave some bits behind.

2) Does it have an uninstall option alongside the program selection in the start/all programs menu?This will likely be better at cleaning up.

3)Otherwise it's bite the bullet, reformat the hard disk and reload windows and this is still assuming that you don't have memory faults.

4)(Did you take static precautions when handling the memory earlier as the charge on your hands can easily damage these devices?)
1) Erm, probably not, this is an XP install i imagine, either way thats something that hasn't been true since Win95 (cf next comment)

2) It wont be any better as it is identical to running the 'add/remove' snap in (runs the same program). If its going to leave something behind through add/remove it will through the local uninstaller.

4) The memory will be DIMMs, not SIMMs, so unless when doc was fitting the memory, he was wearing a shell suit, wanking with a silk glove, worn over a marigold) while wearing a pair of wellies while stood on a large pile of polystyrene, he wont have damaged it with static.

3) Yes this is the best option, followed by not listening people who 'run there own buisness ruining peoples computers'
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Jul 2009

jonathan_dyane wrote:Can you not destroy it by going (Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs) then selecting it and clicking remove?
Sadly not, it wont let me!

If I format the HD though, I'll loose everything on it.. and that is years and years worth of stuff..

I have another HD, bigger and new and that, but I dont have the windows disc anymore..

It's not a memory problem, although Vanny's description does describe my daily routine!, it's definitley PCTools, which wont load at all now, infact I get error messages even at the start up log in page thing. With PCtools not running IE works fine, no delayed write failed messages and everything is honky dory, except that I have to log in to every forum I use everytime..

I'm sure it's PCTools that has fucked it all up, but I just cannot get rid of it.

Now, if I was up on the code I could delete it direct from the HD, but since the days of the 8086 chipset things have changed, and I dont understand any of it!

As it goes, at least I can get on line at the mo, albeit with no virus protection at all, since AVG wont install. and I've tried three times.
Gets most of the way through the install process, then uninstalls itself evertime.
Which I also suspect is something to do with PCTools..

Damn I wish I'd never fucking got PCTools..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 31 Jul 2009

docchevron1472 wrote: If I format the HD though, I'll loose everything on it.. and that is years and years worth of stuff..
That's easy to prevent...buy an external hard drive which works on a USB connection and you can copy and save your "important stuff" to this quickly and easily.
Then after you reformat your C drive, you can move the stuff back if you want or just access it off the external drive as you need. Being USB the drive data will also be compatable to access from a new and later computer if that is the way you end up going after all else has been tried.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 31 Jul 2009

Or, as you have a second HD, stick it in (possibly instead of the CD) and copy everything to that, faster than USB and cheaper as you already have a spare HD. External USB should be avoided really, unless its a dual SATA/USB external. eSata is MUCH quicker than USB2.

Anyways, just bring it down and we can do it in the afternoon.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Jul 2009

When I first got PC tools, it wouldn't work. So I went to their help system and they took over my machine for an hour and sorted it by uninstalling it then re installing. No more problems.

They have left the uninstall programme and the update programmes on my machine. Is there any way I can send these to Doc, to try to sort his problems out???