Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Wings

Post by Vanny » 28 Jul 2010

Hmmm, i believe thems is after market, but i've been told (by some numpty) that the cheapo method is standard fit for the Mk1, possibly it was also fitted to the Ph1 for cheapness.

Bandit, all BX AC systems are simple on/off systems. They are cable controlled and so can't be temperature responsive (climate control). The slidey thing on the regular system simply determines when the pump turns on and off based on the evap temp (as best i can tell) which realistically means it does fork all.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 29 Jul 2010

The position of the slidey thing when the relay kicks in does change with temp I've noticed, to the point that when it's quite cool, you have to put the slider almost all the way along.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 29 Jul 2010

:) I've never seen it but that would suggest, Bandit, that it somehow controls the intake air.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 29 Jul 2010

Bandit, it simply runs the pump for longer, making the evaporator runs cooler. It is NOT temperature controlled. There is an ICE_OVER sensor which will turn off the pump when a critical temperature is reached (about 1c i suspect).

Have a look at the wiring diagram for the diesel and i think it shows the innerds of the controller.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Tis an elektricker potentiometer Phil, used to have a control over how much the a/c is actually on in relation to air temp (or evap temp as Vanny has said)
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Vanny wrote:Bandit, it simply runs the pump for longer, making the evaporator runs cooler. It is NOT temperature controlled. There is an ICE_OVER sensor which will turn off the pump when a critical temperature is reached (about 1c i suspect).

Have a look at the wiring diagram for the diesel and i think it shows the innerds of the controller.
Ah ok, will do skipper!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Jul 2010

hmmm, will mine actually work at all without all this shit?

I was given to understand that valvers had idle steppers, and shit to make the AC kick out at 80% throttle / full revs... none of which this kit has..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Haven't the foggiest mate although, TBH, I wouldn't bother with that shit and just have it as per non-16v

Vanny
Site Admin

they do supposedly have idle jacks on valvers. Frankly i've never seen one, and while i have a wiring harness for one, i've not the foggiest what it connects to so i reverted to an alternative loom without the jack.

If i find i'm loosing too much go on max throttle then i'll consider doing something about it, but i'm not concerned, if the car can manage a weak HP pump it should be fine with a compressor on.

Doc, yours will have an automatic, no adjustable cut out with temp and pressure, it's effectively like having the slider at 75 or so percent.
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

I guess so, there is a brass turny thing on a wire that comes out of the heater box.. no idea what that does!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

It turns!

Vanny
Site Admin

the coil is connected to something similar to a was stat. Officially it controls the subcool rate, unofficially it makes sure exactly the right amount of gas passes through the expansion valve so that it ALL turns to gas before it reached the bottom of the evaporator.

It is amazing just how much i learned on the City and Guilds course :D
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

well, it did, that was 10 years ago when I bought it mind...

Ahh, so having fucked about with it, I'm assuming that'll want setting up now then!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

you cant mess with it, there is nothing adjustable, or there shouldn't be. If it is adjustable and you have actually fiddled then i suspect you've meddled with the tonnage (rather than the feedback) and fixing that could be a tad tricky. It will still work though, just maybe no so efficient as it should.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 29 Jul 2010

:lol: Well I've not a clue how mine works :(

It has a screen and you push buttons till you get the temp you want, then it's all automatic after that. :?
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 13 Aug 2010

Almost there;

Wires;

Pipes;

Scuttle, mostly mastic;

Wings, not looking bad, seen much much worse;

Underside, its all blic, just needs cutting back and then stone chipping;
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 13 Aug 2010

Looking A fucking 1 mate!!!!! What's the black stuff mate?

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 13 Aug 2010

Hamerite, multiple coats, should have just painted it to be honest, but you live and learn.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 13 Aug 2010

Vanny wrote: should have just painted it to be honest, but you live and learn.
What you mean?

Hammerite isn't that good mate, really it's not. If nothing else, give it a quick rub down and slap on some of the (ironically named) Hammerite underbody stuff. Really, really good - my 16v 24 months later and aside from a bit of dirt, it still looks new and it still flexible. Hammerite is actually quite brittle despite what it says on the tin

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 14 Aug 2010

Looking tasty! I take it no chance of making Stratford? :(
Image Image Image Image