Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Wings

Post by Vanny » 08 Mar 2010

Philhod wrote: you know what to do.
fork out the £25 for a new transformer and rewire the fucker!
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 12 Mar 2010

a weldy weldy all of my own, done this evening, took a while to get useable settings, then some time to get the hang of it, but you can see at one point i laid down an actual bead of weld, which is not only on both bits of metal, but its also flowed and penetrated. Now why wasn't the rest like that :(
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 12 Mar 2010

:) Practice!! actually that's not bad, once you grind it you will see if there are any areas to redo but having thickened it a bit, it should be easier.

Try keeping the end of the shroud closer to the work and up the gas flow a little.

Is the feed not as jerky?
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 12 Mar 2010

Mine started off like that mate, if not worse, especially on the upside down/corner/awkward to get at bits. I've not done any for a while but I expect I'll still struggle but over that summer it was at times feeling almost natural. Keep on trucking!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

The feed is still as jerky as it ever was.

I very much doubt i need any more gas, beyond the fact there is fuck all left, its way too high already.
I was finding that balance of being able to see what i was doing and getting close very tricky, though the torch was never more than a half inch from the metal, the angle was often less than ideal. Actually i'd say that was the biggest problem, attack angle. I started to play with the angle a bit and got considerably better results!

Won't be able to grind it down till next week, busy weekend!
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 12 Mar 2010

I'd say that was too much gas (over cooling) and too little power (lack of penetration). Also, try getting the torch closer, with the right settings you'll find that you can rest the torch shroud on the workpiece whilst working and slag will be at a minimum.
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 12 Mar 2010

You really need to change the title of this thread you know, all manner of thoughts pass through my head before I remember it's metal type car related wing thingies!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

jay, it was very on off, the patch plate is very very thin, the structure is thick and multiplate so it was a case of welding to the car and drawing down to the plate.
ImageImage

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 13 Mar 2010

i tried to weld once

ohhh yes i did

but i wont bore you with how it ended up

[coat]

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 13 Mar 2010

:)
and slag will be at a minimum.
?????

Slag? what slag? This is MIG. :lol: :lol: :wink:

And he's posh using Argoshield!!!!
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 13 Mar 2010

you making up quotes again phil??
ImageImage

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 14 Jun 2010

Hmmm i realise i've not updated this for a few weeks. There has been some progress, but more than i have pictures off right now! Today i have (amongst other things) finally cut the towing eye off. This is what remains with some of the rust knocked off;

Rather large bit missing! THe plate its welded onto is pretty beefy and shows signs of pitting but isn't too bad. I'm happy to prime and weld to it. Tomorrow should see a replacement bracket fabbed up and welded on, in time for welding the slam panel on before the weekend. Hopefully i'll get the rad mounts back on and in by the end of the weekend. Then paint it all up and start the rebuild. Still need to change the bottom arm bushes and i can't for the life of me find my 14mm threaded bar!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 15 Jun 2010

what on earth do need 14mm threaded bar for?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 15 Jun 2010

its the way i get the bushes back in, nice and evenly. If i use 10mm bar it just ends up bent to fuck.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 15 Jun 2010

I used that method on the upper wishbones on the van last week - ended up twisting the wishbone slightly so the pivot bolt didn't line up, which was a bit of an "Oh bugger" moment. Managed to straighten it with a jack though...
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 15 Jun 2010

If you have or make some large plates with a nice big hole in you can use the actual pivot bolt itself!

Vanny
Site Admin

If you use the pivot bolt, do you not end up with the problem Mat found? IE you have to pull accross both sides of the wish bone? I want to brace and pull from just one side. I wonder if i still have some long M12's kicking about?
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

I can't honestly remember but I've not had a problem doing it that way mate.

If you want I can hydraulically press them in for you!

Vanny
Site Admin

I've access to a 50tonne press (it forking huge) but its 100 miles away, still closer than going s***h. I've never had a problem winding them in before, just when i use a 10mm bar it comes out rather fecked which seems a waste even if i do have unlimited stainless bar!
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Stainless bar? Unlimited? Dare I ask if some might be available for my BBQ project? Freshly printed cash in your palm sir!