General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Went into Halfords today

Post by Philhod » 27 Jan 2010

:? What are spark plugs????..........Oh wait...., do they still use those things on smelly petrol cars :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Jan 2010

They do in mine! But triple electrode plugs are an alien concept for Halfrauds..

Really must fix the diesel though, however much the valver is, over £100 a week on fuel is getting a bit scary.
Have shiny built up ready to go head for the TD, so I might wham the cunting thing on this weekend and return to oil burning cheapness. Until it breaks again.. All over one poxy little bastard pipe... :cry:
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Jan 2010

:lol: :lol: 19 n/a's are FTW :wink:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Jan 2010

You are not wrong!
I did literally hundreds of thousands of miles trouble free bar a couple of HG's in the old N/A, this bloody turbo lump has been nothing but grief since the moment I fitted the fucking thing..

Still, the new head has standard valves, but still with N/A cam, so it'll be a tad slower than the current head, but, if I can stop the hoses from failing it might actually be a bit more reliable....
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 28 Jan 2010

You'll want the Derv before your trip north!
ImageImage

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 28 Jan 2010

Aye, the economy will be handy; they don't have garages in Darlo yet...
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 28 Jan 2010

On that note Doc, from your experience, am I likely to significantly bugger my 1.7TD if I strap on the Garrett off the 2.1 without fiddling the wastegate?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Jan 2010

8) Well that was part of the reason I suggested a refreshment break at my house.
It would be roughly 1/2 way for you and we could do the last bit in mine to save on fuel costs for everyone!!

Discuss!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Jan 2010

Suspect the darlo trip may be a non starter anyway, doolalli never posted so meh..

No bandit, should be fine with the turbo as is mate.
The only reason mine died this time is a split water hose that fucked all the water out on the M5.
Had little choice but to continue 20 miles to work by which time the head was banana shaped.
Sadly it's the branch hose you can't get anymore, so I'll be making one up from various plumbing shit this week, along with fitting another head, which wasn't all that cheap after fitting new valves and all the usual shit like a skim etc.
To cap it all off the fricking N/S axial joint has decided to fail on the valver, so I've yet again got two shagged cars. Good job I've got the 205 in stock at the mo!
Happily, axial joints are a stocked item and I'll have a shiny new one in my sweaty palm tomorrow. Even more happily the N/S joint is rather easier to do than the O/S!
So that'll be one of the many front end rattles sorted, although it really needs a rack, but they aint cheap, and I'm spending much more than I earn right now, so it'll have to keep for another day in the summer when I can be fucked to swear a lot again.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 29 Jan 2010

Thanks for that Doc, just after a bit more lower down like.
Anyway, which pipe is it mate? May have one, used but otherwise good!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 29 Jan 2010

Hozetech??? or at least an equivalent you have down there, can they not make you one up??

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Jan 2010

Planning to cobble something together..
It's the branch pipe off the bottom of the header tank, one pipe goes to the stat housing, t'other pipe goes to the rad IIRC..
Cant chop anymore out of it (it's a bend at the end where it fits on the stat housing), and frankly the whole fuckng thing is rotten as a rotten thing on rotten day.
Time expired shite.
As is the small octopus (NLA).
Even worse, the N/S axial joint on the valver is beyond fucked. Got it on the ramp today, the play in it was, erm, worrying.. and guess what.. NLA.
Happily 2cv's had one on the shelf they've had for years, but the O/S joint has some play in it, so fuck knows where I'll get another one..
When I think of all the racks I've given away over theyears I could cry. But I'm a man, so I wont.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 30 Jan 2010

[chin] yes sounds like some stainless / copper tube / elbows and pieces of straight rubber to me, complete with good ol jubilees :wink:

What does the axial joint look like Doc??

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 30 Jan 2010

what steering racks? Pretty sure i have two spare if you want one. both in liverpool, where i am now, so send me a text if i am to collect one!
ImageImage

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 30 Jan 2010

As is the small octopus (NLA).
Now thats a worry. What the FUCK are you supposed to do about that then, they are sorta important really.

Cars, who'd bloody have 'em
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 30 Jan 2010

Fabricating something to do the job using a combination of 15mm and 10mm copper pipe, some jubilee clips and pubber hose wouldnt be impossible, but it would need moving as (obviously) the copper pipe isnt as flexible as the rubber.

A length in 15mm from the pressure regulator, then off this you need four or five( I ant remember off the top of my head) 10mm pipes for the tank, front and rear HC's and the steering, not sure if there ist another feed for something. It could be done. It might not look pretty, but it could be done.
Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Jan 2010

I think the axial joints are the same as pug 306s (and other pugs too 405?) and are also shared with quite a few other makes. I only know as I was farting about this very week on t'internet and found this out.
A useful thing BTW is on AEP once you have selected a part, they have a drop down showing what other vehicles the part fits.

I know I have said pipe Doc, tis the one that runs long and thin across the top of the rad to the o/s????? If you want it's yours and I think in good fettle.

On the octopus side, PR Net shows both are available but (are you sitting down?) £52.77 for littl'un and £84.86 for big'un :shock:

With this in mind, I've been considering changing the LHM tank and octopii to the Xantia style. Having had a quick look, they seem to of done it in simpler sections of pipe that can be joined, rather than one expensive spaghetti junction of octopus!

Just had another look on pr net, if it's the water pipe I'm thinking of Doc it is still available from Cit but for £77 odd!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 30 Jan 2010

:D Good work Bandit, our very own ferret!!! :lol:

If ever I re pipe the drybollox I will move everything important to where you can get at it, then just pipe up to it.

Haven't seen a xant set up but would think that I could manufacture Octopii from aluminium billets???

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Jan 2010

Well, as I have just this very afternoon found out, the pipes from the LHM reservoir are rubber for about a foot, then push fit over metal pipework. I'd think there's enough room to fit a similar set-up but to make the set-up compatible with, and replaceable by the Xantia 'short octopus' then you'd have to use the Xantia Reservoir which may have it's own issues, shape being one of them, position possibly being another.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Jan 2010

:? Unless I'm misunderstanding you Bandit, that's what I mean by moving things and piping up.
Obviously that's the return bit so by using some rubber pipe and some ordinary car copper brake pipe (it's a good fit on Cit rubber) you can use existing reservoir. :)