Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Torque settings.

Post by David » 04 Mar 2010

Tits.

I'm in work, and have forgotten the book of lies to get the torque settings for the head bolts on an XUD7T with non-stretch bolts. I can remember the order of doing them up, just not the setting.

Anyone got that handy?

Ta.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: Torque settings.

Post by Bx Bandit » 04 Mar 2010

Well, in the HBOL, for the earlier engines (up to sept 86, which I assume are non stretch bolts)

stage 1: 30NM/22 lbf ft
stage 2: 60NM/44 lbf ft
stage 3: Loosen 1/4 turn then 60NM/44 lbf ft
stage 4: (after 10 mins at 3000 rpm) loosen 1/4 turn then 70NM/52 lbf ft

the settings in the supplement for later (post Sept 86) is:

stage 1: 30NM/22 lbf ft
stage 2: 70NM/52 lbf ft
stage 3: Angle tighten 120 degrees
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Typical... I'm not sure which to use now. They are bolts that don't have the tube extender between the bolt head and the cylinder head, and are threaded their entire length.

No different settings for turbo or non-turbo are there?
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 04 Mar 2010

I have: Pre-Tighten to 20 NM. Tighten a further 60 NM. Tighten a further 180°

With regard to the tube extenders, I don't think such bolts were ever fitted to the XUD7T only the XUD9T.
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

David
Part of the decor

I'm inclined to believe it is an angle tighten rather than an "after 10 mins at 3000rpm" as being a turbo engine, you can't get to the head bolts with the inlet manifold fitted...

They're currently all up to 60nm / 44lbf ft, which feels like naff all to me. Going to give them all 120° and see how that feels, as I can always add another 60° on in another stage, but taking 60° off isn't so clever. That said, the add 180° sounds familiar....

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 04 Mar 2010

Last time I did one I definitely didn't do the 'run engine then retighten more' thing, which I think I last had to do with a CX diesel engine. On that, despite using a 4' long ex Coal Board torque wrench I barely had the strength to do the last bit, and such is the required torque I was sure that one of the bastards would snap, but thankfully all was well, and a much easier job otherwise compared to XUD...
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 04 Mar 2010

stage 4 does sound a bit archaic for some reason, but as you have non stretch bolts I wasn't sure which would apply.

Can't find any different spec torque wrench settings though.

Certainly, IIRC, it was the latter description Doc used on Eds Xantia
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Mar 2010

These are not far away from the figures I have for the 19 n/a. Only that goes in 2 stages 44f ft lbs followed by 66 ft lbs then turn 120 degrees I can usually manage to turn them 90 to 100 but never managed 120 yet!!!!
I've used a strongarm on it's own before now (no torque wrench)I know it takes practice but I'm not bad at equal tightening. Do them in stages but as long as they are fucking tight on the last one, they don't tend to come apart or buckle anything. :)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Mar 2010

I used the 20Nm, then 60Nm, then 180° when I did the head on my 1.9TD, and nothing snapped or leaked. That's with stretch bolts, so of no relevance to you...
I'm puzzled why you're using non stretch bolts on a turbo engine - as I thought they were introduced in '88 (i.e. 2 years after the bolt change). In which case official figures for non stretchy bolts on a TD probably don't exist. :?
Image Image Image Image

David
Part of the decor

mat_the_cat wrote:I'm puzzled why you're using non stretch bolts on a turbo engine - as I thought they were introduced in '88 (i.e. 2 years after the bolt change).
Maybe they are stretchy bolts... they just don't have the tube extenders under the bolt head, and they are threaded all the way up the shank of the bolt... Stretchy bolts have a left-handed spiral on the upper part of the shank do they not?

Either way, they're the bolts that I took out, so the same bolts are going back in. I might see if I can do them another 60° as with just 120° on them they feel like they could go further with relative ease. It's a 1991 17TD engine so what should it have in it?

Still nowhere near the 220 degrees specified for the 1.9TD engine... that's bloody hard work!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Mar 2010

I'm now slightly worried as I'm sure I 'only' did them up to 180°. Still, so long as they are in the elastic zone then all should be OK.

All the XUD bolts I've seen (only 4-5 engines) have had the LH spiral on the shank and have been the stretchy type so I'm inclined to agree with you there.

I'd check the length though - if they are stretch bolts (which I doubt) you don't want to go over the maximum length allowable for re-use. It's given in the BOL so hopefully someone can help you there?
Image Image Image Image

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 05 Mar 2010

Ah well, I've installed them now. Done them to 44lbf-ft and then 120deg. Might just leave them like that. Have to have a read of the BOL to find out what I should have done.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Mar 2010

Only the early stretch bolts had the counter rotating spiral at the top, all the later bolts were just plain thread to the top.
These are the bolts you have to slacken and retighten after the engines been run..
The correct settings are as Jonathon listed above..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 05 Mar 2010

I'll be giving them another 60 degrees then!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Mar 2010

I once tried the "dot hem up til they brake" approach.. It's amazing how far they'll go before they loose the springyness and actually snap..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 06 Mar 2010

:) Bit better than those Ford Torque to yield rubbish :P

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 06 Mar 2010

As someone I once worked with used to say: "If it snaps, you want a bit less torque than that."

Thanks for that Roy...

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Mar 2010

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Mar 2010

If you can manage to snap them with a 500 mm wrench, you've bigger biceps that me :lol: :lol: :lol:

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 07 Mar 2010

I was using a 700mm torque wrench, and tbh it was a bit long as I kept clouting various other bits and pieces, and was finding it a bit too easy to wind them too far.

Never yet broken a head bolt, but I'll bet it goes with a bit of a bang!