Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Handbrake cable

Post by Vanny » 15 Mar 2010

So, you know the eyelets by the front hub that 'guide' the handbrak cable, but in reality simply chaffs its way through the outer sheath and quickly kills the cable, what is the solution?

The 6mm? bar that the 'eyelet' is bend out of rusts up pretty quick and i think this has a huge impact. Its simply shaped and then bolted onto the ARB mount, so there would be little involved in adding an alternative guide. But what shape, what material, what angle should it be made?

Anyone have a picture ofa Xantia with a wheel off showing its guide?
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Handbrake cable

Post by Philhod » 15 Mar 2010

We did an earlier car with cable tidy over the cable outer. cleaned, smoothed the eye with the grinder and greased it. It worked for quite a long time.
As I do up the 19n/a I'm going to use flexible plastic conduit pieces this time. 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 15 Mar 2010

Nope!!!!!!!!! One day too late as I have just binned the front subframe.

3 things I'd say:

1 - the nylon protecting ring in the guide always wears and falls out and so it's absence will add to the wear on the hand brake cable
2 - they need quite frequent greasing as Phil has mentioned
3 - and I thing this is key to premature failure - always set the front wheels to straight ahead before applying handbrake. I think it's applying the handbrake on partial - full lock that leads to premature failure.

The Xantia fails in the same way btw
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 15 Mar 2010

so there is a nylon insert on the xantia then? this i did not know.

frankly i was thinking or just making a fatter guide out of 10mm stainless round bar?
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 16 Mar 2010

Bandit's observation about steering straight ahead is quite right. the plastic made the cable last 5 years by the way.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 16 Mar 2010

Yes there is a nylon ring on the Xantia but it wears and then won't stay in situ.

I think the conventional BX setup is ok, so long as wheel s straight ahead when handbrake on. Do a full lock hand brake on and you'll see the bend/kink.

Just thinking though, you're putting on Xantia calipers aren't you? So you 'might' need different guides??? Actually, if it helps, I can ask my dad to take a photo of the xantia subframe and email it to me if you like
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 16 Mar 2010

might be handy if its not too much trouble, have tried to find one on line to no avail

Tis Xantia calipers going on, but i don't think there will be any significant problems, the BX cable seems to be the right length.
ImageImage