BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: BX woes

Post by docchevron132 » 25 Jul 2010

thats bollocks that is! All this "it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it" is all lip service!
I mean, last time I got with a bird she demanded "give me 8" and make me bleed".. I fucked her twice and punched her..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 25 Jul 2010

:lol: :lol: I'll get you to more than 4" mate, trust me and my dentures.......

But you're right. It's not what you've got, or what you do with it, it's where you stick it!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 25 Jul 2010

left ear is becoming favorite...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 25 Jul 2010

:shock: really? Your own?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 26 Jul 2010

no yer daft bastard, thats just silly that is! Some other fuckers ear of course!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Jul 2010

:mrgreen:

Think I'll wear big strong ear defenders at Stratty then!

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 29 Jul 2010

I'm afraid the droning's got louder chaps. I can feel the vibration through the floor - it seems to be strongest just at the bottom of the bulkhead underneath the clutch pedal - I can feel it with my foot. Which is just about where the inner cv joint and intermediate bearing are. Again, it's louder when cornering left.

Am I right that the LH driveshaft needs removing first and a tube inserting before you can remove the RH one? :roll: Can the inner joint and bearing be replaced without pulling the shaft? I've got a driveshaft from Bandit to try out.

Who fancies having a butchers, perhaps checking the engine/gbox mounts too? Jay, you up for a bit more straining and swearing?

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Jul 2010

you wont need a dowel mate, only the very early BE boxes had a stupid non fixed planet gear set.

You *could* leave the joint in the box and swop the shft out from the tri-joint, but I wouldn't personally.

I'm back to work Monday, and I have a new BX to fab up for Smiffy, oh and a Saxo to put back together, but maybe a weekend if Jay can't have a look?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 30 Jul 2010

Well, I'm going to a tech day tomorrow at Citroen Classics in Staines - mainly for DS's but I'm told I'm very welcome. So might be able to get it sorted - Darrin's ordering me in a diff oil seal for if we have to change the shaft. Sounds good - people bring their cars with a list of jobs, get stuck in, help each other out, lunch/drinks laid on, Darrin's there to offer advice etc - nice chap is Darrin.

Fingers crossed - and I might be doing my first driveshaft change!

Mark.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 30 Jul 2010

Is that a regular thing? I'm hitting the overtime tomorrow, like the berk that I am, but I'd be up for that another time.
Cheers,
Stu

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 30 Jul 2010

You berk.

But yeah, extra wonga is good :)

It's a 2 day event - try emailing him at info@citroenclassics.co.uk if you're free on Sunday. He hasn't got as many people coming that day. Tomorrow is 9 till 4, Sunday's probably the same. Otherwise I can ask when the next one is!

EDIT: I only found out about this one last weekend!
Mark.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Jul 2010

They are also advertised in the citroenian, I believe there are several a year, and yes, Darrin is a top fella..

Best of luck mate, and have fun!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 30 Jul 2010

Only just noticed this one Mark :roll: I'm tied all weekend and back to work next week :(

The mid bearing is available from GSF for about a tenner and just a case of cracking the hubnut and bottom joint, undo the 2 retaining bolts on the bearing (from underneath) and pull the lot out. About half hour...
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Jul 2010

/\ And drain the gearbox!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Jul 2010

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..err....yes!!
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 31 Jul 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:/\ And drain the gearbox!
That's done automatically when you pull the shaft out :mrgreen:
Almost BX-less

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 02 Aug 2010

The good news is that I've only fucking changed the driveshaft myself, with advice and lending of tools where necessary from Darrin. I still ache everywhere!

I drained the gearbox first and followed all the advice and the detail in the BOL, including greasing up the outer race of the inter bearing on Bandit's driveshaft, checking behind the CV gaitors for grease, fitting new ligarex straps, changing the diff oil seal and putting plenty of grease between the two lips. It took me bloody ages, mainly because I needed to ask Darrin questions and stuff but of course there were a lot of other people there with their D's (and a couple of CXs and a Dyane), but also because I'm a weakling Southerner and soon got fatigued - I struggled with the inter bearing carrier because the screws wouldn't release at first, I needed an extension on the spanner for the gearbox drain plug because it was so tight etc. etc. The only assistance he needed to give was to rattle the hub nut off/on and providing extra welly with the hammer on the ball joint splitter.

The bad news is it's not made a blind bit of difference to the noise!!

Before changing it, we had the car running at idle in 1st with the front wheels in the air so Darrin could listen with his listening probe - he thought there was more noise from the hub end rather than the inner end. So he said either outer CV or wheel bearing. I explained the wheel bearing was brand new. So he said it was up to me, but changing the whole shaft wasn't that much more difficult than just changing the outer joint, and it would eliminate the inner and inter bearing too.

So the possibilities are, in order of likeliness (from likely to highly unlikely):

1) Sawtoothing of front tyre tread due to wheel misalignment causing droning noise very similar to wheel bearing noise.
2) Rear wheel bearing? - or tyre wear
3) Diff bearings
4) Replacement driveshaft exhibits similar symptoms (I'd have to be very unlucky)
5) OSF Wheel bearing (can't be!!)

Logically, I'm inclined to discount 4 and 5.

One small detail: the noise doesn't occur below 30 mph. Going faster, it drops off slightly and comes back in around 50. Quieter at 60 then comes back slightly at 70. Cornering left at any speed makes it drone (louder).

Unfortunately there wasn't time for Darrin to drive it on Saturday, and the proposal that I went back on Sunday morning for him to check it over went down like a lead balloon when I got home... :oops:

Tonight I'm going to swap tyres around and see if that makes a difference, and while I'm at it check the rear wheels for play and roughness...

Mark.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 02 Aug 2010

Dont discount another duff driveshaft - it happened to me.
Image Image Image

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 02 Aug 2010

Swapping the tyres front to back has made no difference. No noises from rear wheels, save dragging brake pads, and no discernible play. Hmm...

Mark.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 03 Aug 2010

Only really leaves diff bearings then surely?
I'd really need to drive it to tell, but it's not unusual for the diff's to be a bit noisey. The valver one is!

How much backlash is there in the diff mate?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance