BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
mnde
Established

Re: BX woes

Post by mnde » 03 Aug 2010

Erm, I'm not sure how I tell.

I'll play around a bit tonight on the way home, but the noise seems to be the same whether I'm on load, coasting, or on the overrun. If I give it some welly during a LH bend the drone gets louder, but that's obviously putting more load on the OSF wheel... It's difficult to tell if the noise disappears totally when I chuck the car right.

I need a bloody test track!

On the plus side, the handling is a LOT better compared to before I went to Jay's :D

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 03 Aug 2010

Here's a video of my journey home. I attached my camera phone to the dashboard with blu tack. If you listen from about 6:26 onwards, you can definitely hear the loud drone, reducing in pitch as I brake and take the exit off the A3. Once you tune in to that noise, you can hear it while I'm driving straight as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gS6e6KU_BU

Mark.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Aug 2010

Awesome quality vid! Bloody near broadcast quality that!

Sounds abit diff whiney to me, and maybe a trace of main shaft bearing rumble? Although it's hard to decipher it against the engine noise..

If you jack up one front corner, leaving the opposite side on the ground, stick it in fist gear, then rock the wheel thats in the air. How far does it move before it stops?
Do the same in 5th.

Then be a bit violen with the rocking action, is there any nasty sounds from the box? Banging, clicking, that sort of thing.

Next up, if you can, jack up the front so both wheels are off the ground, then rotate one wheel as fast as you can. The other wheel should also rotate against direction. Any noise?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 05 Aug 2010

Right then, more vids for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxeazC-fndo

And while we're at it, I present "clicking steering"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_NAMojZO-A

And what can you tell from these engine vids? Anything at all? Just curious how good the sound on this camera phone is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V68-iknYNhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcmOon5frfE

Listen to that hyd pump!

Noisy in the top end, it always has been, but also since 2008 it's been doing this diesel-like clacking sound at around 1000-1100 revs and sometimes at idle. Only when hot. What's that all about? I'm running 15W 40 mineral oil btw. It's not consistent. Sometimes does it, sometimes doesn't. Generally some days the valvegear is noisier than on others.... sometimes the sound pulses louder and softer when I'm at motorway speeds. Just I've heard XU5s that are a lot quieter!

Nowhere near as bad as the Ford Ka that went by earlier - gah!

Cheers,

Mark

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Aug 2010

Ok, well, the box is a bit noisey, and there's a tiny bit of backlash, not enough to worry about though, the valver is much worse!

Suspect that'd go for many many more miles without issue really.. are the sunchro's all good? And is it ever baulky to engage gears? Not an issue when it's cold, they all are a bit, but when hot?

Steering sounds like the UJ really...?

Engine sounds like a fairly typical XU5! I've nevr heard one that isn't a bit cammy. Not sure I'd worry about that either really.. They never were the smoothest of engines..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 06 Aug 2010

I find 2nd to 3rd sometimes goes in with a clonk if I hurry it (when hot), which has prompted me to take it more slowly and pause in neutral momentarily. Engine is fine, no major leaks, no valve stem seal probs :)

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Aug 2010

Are you bringing it to Stratty? Me thinks a quick test drive should diagnose any issues, although from the clips I'm not sure I'd be overly concerned at this point mate.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Aug 2010

I'm thinking that 1st vid from Thursdays post sounds quite noisy when doing that back lash test, there's a definite clonky click - but then I'm sure both of mine aren't that different.........

The drone in the vid from Tuesday sounds just like when my rear wheel bearing went MNDE - exactly the same. And IIRC, that made very little noise below 30 mph. Should be noticeable via the usual wheel wobble/wheel bearing test though. It sounds too rough for the intermediate drive shaft bearing. Remember me saying that was Charlie's old drive shaft MNDE? I know we swapped it for a spare one I had (which was known good) and from memory it made little difference to Charlies noise issue which I'm certain turned out to be a front wheel bearing.

Assuming you may have more than one problem, have you checked the front n/s wheel bearing?

As far as the engine noise is concerned, I don't know the engines at all, but a clattery knocking at higher revs is symptomatic of little end bearings and the noise from your vid could support that, although I'd expect a similar noise on cold start with full choke possibly.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 09 Aug 2010

Ehup Neil,

I checked the rear wheel bearings last week: no play in the wheel, and the only sound when spinning the wheel - both sides - was an periodic scrape which I assumed was a slightly dragging brake pad...... [chin]

I shall get the NSF wheel up in the air at the next opportunity and do a test. Darrin told me it could be "the other side" - but it doesn't explain why the drone is louder on LH bends - unless the NS bearing is droning more when UNloaded than when driving straight ahead. Also I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the OS side of the car - and as the vid is in stereo, I think that's noticeable... but I'll listen again. I guess vibrations travel in mysterious ways, which is why people say bearings are difficult to diagnose...

Cheers,

Mark.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 09 Aug 2010

Hi MNDE, failing all else mate, as Doc said, bring it along. I have an equally mysterious but different problem. It'll be interesting to see how both our problems pan out...
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 09 Aug 2010

Fuck it, if stratty's gonna turn into an Open Heart Surgery weekend you lot can do my Octopus :lol: :lol: :lol:
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

No no, [no] no fucking way. I hate dem things! I rekon get some of that compressed air plastic tubing with the push fit connectors and rig them all up to the lhm tank via a Xanty style 'tank top'. Gonna do it when I fit the D12 8)

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 09 Aug 2010

Feed me beer and i'll do an octopus (so long as its dry!), last one i did was in a car park in Salford so how much harder can it be to do in a field?
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Vanny wrote:Feed me beer and i'll do an octopus (so long as its dry!), last one i did was in a car park in Salford so how much harder can it be to do in a field?

I'll feed you chocolate fucking coated peanuts if it gets done!

Oh, and beer in abundance!

It looked fucking tight to me when i was under it, i couldn't even see exactly which one of the bag of spaghetti was leaking (though it is pretty clean under there now!
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Scousers really do like abuse don't they?!

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 09 Aug 2010

Like most things, if your not a cack handed bafoon, the job is easy.
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

How did you know i'm left-handed? :lol:
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Aug 2010

piece of piss with the OS shaft out. Bit more fiddly with the shaft in, but either way it aint hard to do..

RE: bearing noise, if there's a bit of slack in the bearing it could well have pitted / scored the sidewall of the outer bearing track, so it could be less that it's unloaded and more that it's being pulled a bit sideways like...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 10 Aug 2010

jayw wrote:How did you know i'm left-handed? :lol:
Are you really? Me too...
This really is sinister!
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 10 Aug 2010

smiffy wrote:
jayw wrote:How did you know i'm left-handed? :lol:
Are you really? Me too...
This really is sinister!
All us gifted people are...
Almost BX-less