BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: BX woes

Post by Philhod » 26 Aug 2010

:D When we're all at Stratty you can have 10 diagnoses................probably all different. :lol: :lol:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 27 Aug 2010

Ooh, I've got a comment on Youtube about the BX engine video!

"Dude, that's no healthy sound. First thing I would do is check that the timing belt is not slack or off-time. Then check if the pre-ignition is not off by too many degrees. Then check if the clearances on the valve rockers are to specification. If that's all ok, do a compression test on each of the four cylinders to make sure you don't have a leaking gasket. You might also have worn crank shaft rubbers, in that case a complete engine overhaul would be the best way to get this baby running again."

That's quite a list :lol:

TBH I've wondered about the cambelt. It was changed in 06/07 but they didn't renew the tensioner and upon taking the timing cover off I found I was able to move the belt back and forth across the camshaft sprocket by hand - not easily! but I could do it. I didn't think I should be able to do that.

Just recently a jangling noise has appeared at roughly 2200 rpm in all gears. Only when driving, it seems, not when I rev it in neutral. It appears to be coming from the OS of the engine. If I hold the engine at that speed in any gear, it's continuous. You can actually hear it in the BX journey video if you listen out for it. It's like a vibrating spring, or the noise a single (all-metal) key makes when you jangle it on a keyring. I was convinced it was the cage on the underneath of the bonnet rattling but I don't think that's the case. Any ideas? Throttle return spring?

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 27 Aug 2010

I've never been able to move the cambelt by hand on anything either! :shock: I'm guessing it's general advice he's giving rather than XU specific, as it doesn't have any rockers to adjust...
I haven't actually seen the video myself yet, but TBH I'm shit at diagnosing problems. :oops:
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Aug 2010

:) That sounds like a yank that's answered that. Most of them don't know what overhead cam is.
I agree there Mat, it is just general. If you can move the belt, please don't take it anywhere near 2000 revs till you check it out. There is a clamp bolt near the square hole that has probably come loose. It is a bit of a maul holding the tension and tightening the bolt, so sometimes they have been quite slack when I have been putting new belts on for people.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Aug 2010

crank rubbers? No crank I've ever seen wears a condom..

It does sound a bit tappety, but all XU5's do...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 31 Aug 2010

Re. cambelt, it's been like that for at least 3 years!

Guess what: the noise is from the NSF wheel bearing. Darrin and I had the front up in the air, engine on and spinning up the wheels in 3rd gear. He held a pole against one tyre, then the other, and the noise was louder when he was bearing on the OS tyre. On a test drive, with me driving, he said the noise was definitely coming from the NS, even though from the driver's seat it seemed to be coming from the OS! He could feel the vibration through his feet. It was obvious when we swapped round :oops:

So I'm looking either to get it booked in or else to get it jobbed at Stratford if possible! Unfortunately I don't have a spare NS hub carrier except on the remains of my scrapper at Nyland...

Mark.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Aug 2010

I can do the same as last time if you like but bring it to Stratford. I'll check on bearing and ball joint condition and let you know if you like
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Aug 2010

[chin] Overalls and tools are in order then??? :)

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 01 Sep 2010

always. It's not a car rally if we dont get oily and pissed. Actually it usually works out that we get pissed, then repair cars..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Sep 2010

:lol: :lol: The only way

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 01 Sep 2010

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sharp exit made by MNDE there then, as he envisages driving home on three wheels! :lol:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 04 Sep 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:I can do the same as last time if you like but bring it to Stratford. I'll check on bearing and ball joint condition and let you know if you like
Sorry Bandit, haven't been able to post on here for the last few days.

Yes that would be GR8 if you could! I would of course provide pictures of the Queen. Lemme know if the carrier needs a new bearing or bj. I will bring for you the spare OS carrier that Jay removed, and the driveshaft I took off my car to replace with the one I gave you.

So yeah, if you or somebody could bring to Stratford:
a socket for the hub nut
a big breaker bar

Jay, could you possibly bring your box of nuts and bolts in case there's trouble with the bolt next to the pinch bolt at the top of the carrier like the one you had to drill out on the other side?

Here's hoping the weather is good!

Mark.

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 07 Sep 2010

Actually has anyone got a proper BX balljoint splitter they can bring?

I used a generic one when I did the driveshaft and I managed to nick the gaitor on the trackrod end joint and draw blood (grease)...

Cheers,

Mark.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Sep 2010

I'll pack all the tools mate and no doubt most of us will turn up with numerous duplicates! I have a ball joint splitter too, so as a minimum, tool wise, we're covered. :P

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Sep 2010

I'll stick my home made hinged one in then no chance of damage with that.....................

..............Even if Mat's using it :lol: [coat]

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 07 Sep 2010

I normally travel with a full toolbox too, but I had a bit of a clearout the other day when I decided it was of limited benefit to be carrying round a set of spring compressors whilst driving a BX... :roll: But whenever I have tried to carry a bare minimum toolkit I've always needed something I didn't have!

EDIT - Oi, yer bastard Phil! :wink:
I've got the wedge type and the threaded non hinged type. The wedge type I find best (and useful for a lot of other stuff too) but it does tend to wreck the balljoint rubbers.
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Sep 2010

OOoooooh no missus! Wedge type FTL! A neanderthals tool!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Sep 2010

They are nothing but a shaped chisel and about as much use :(

My home made one will do more or less any ball joint and a range of other things :wink:

Sorry Mat but last w/ end enhanced your reputation somewhat. :lol: :lol:

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 07 Sep 2010

Enhanced may be the wrong choice of words...

If you're binning the joint then what's the problem with the wedge type? Also good for removing door trims, separating gearbox linkages and tightening the HP pump belt.

You can even use it in bed if you're feeling really kinky!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 08 Sep 2010

I thought about that for a minute and then decided it was correct.....that's why I underlined it :P

:lol: There are actually tools to do those jobs as well :)