BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Petrol Pipes

Post by Philhod » 08 May 2010

Well don't use it for you CH then. There were the 3 sizes when I did this house in 1978, as microbore had only just come on the market. I chose 10 because I thought the other 2 would get blocked easily. They did and discontinued 6 quite quickly and I thought the 8 followed suit, as they standardised on 10 not long after.

You could add a filter system though nowadays, there were none available then.

It was interesting to note where the ad said, this is what customers ultimately bought after looking at this product, was a roll of 10mm. :lol: :lol:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 08 May 2010

Now he tells me after plumbing 2 houses with the stuff! How quickly were pipes reportedly getting blocked? I've got to say that we stayed in the first house for 3 years, and it's coming up to 4 years here since we did the central heating and haven't had problems, that said perhaps most people don't use a flushing additive and corrosion inhibitors. Not sure how crud can get in though, as it's a totally sealed system, not like the old systems with a header tank in the loft.
Time will tell I suppose... :?
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 08 May 2010

/\ I think that as long as you keep the prohibitor shit in the CH system and keep it ticking over in the summer months to prevent too much settlement you should be ok - just shit I heard mind..............
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 May 2010

:lol: :lol: You should be OK mate. The probs were air in the system causing oxides of copper etc. With a sealed system this doesn't happen and with an inhibitor as well :D

I put a 4 pipe system in originally, gravity feed HW and pumped CH. When my boiler burst after ONLY 30 years, I got a new condensing jobbie. This had only 1 pipe in and 1 out so I had to become a convert. Although I still have an expansion tank The system never needs bleeding now and it was a once a month job previously.
I was sure they discontinued 8 mill, they must have re introduced it with the advent of sealed systems. I thought hard about it, before using 10 mm, as obviously the smaller the bore the more efficient the system. :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 May 2010

I was going to do these petrol pipes before taking it for the MOT but I think as the Gaiter has been such a pig, I'll leave it for after the MOT 'cos they're not leaking or anything!

So still before getting the MOT, I have to do this sodding Strut return which has become an annual job and then try to seal the cross box with some gun gum to not get a fail on that.

Anyone got a cross box going spare by any chance?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 10 May 2010

Way2go wrote:Anyone got a cross box going spare by any chance?
Is it the same on a GTi, as it is on a turbo d, or 16v? if so, then yes I have one you can have.
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 May 2010

smiffy wrote:
Way2go wrote:Anyone got a cross box going spare by any chance?
Is it the same on a GTi, as it is on a turbo d, or 16v? if so, then yes I have one you can have.
Cheers Smiffy. It "might be" as Doc fitted a diesel back box recently but I don't really know so hopefully someone else can answer that for us. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 May 2010

Yes indeed, yours is a standard GTI/ 16V / TD cross box.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.