Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

2 bad things happened today..

Post by docchevron132 » 09 May 2010

Collected a puncture on the N/S front tyre of the TD this arvo. Bit pissed since they are all new tyres, like 800 miles only on them!
Anyhow, found it had a cut in the inner sidewall, so thats the end of the tyre. Pisser.
Since I have no Rallye 550's left in stock and I can only ever find them on order I thought I'd whip a wheel off the valver to get me home and mobile until new tyre shows up.
Then I think, best swop both fronts since the valver tyres are 1/2 worn and only swopping one might give some pull to the steering..

Then I thought "fuck it, I'll just take the valver home"..
Mistake!
Having not driven it or even started it for some 4 months I'd talked myself nicely into selling it on.
Only now I love it all over again, knocking steering rack and all.. Although Muse on very loudly cured the rack.
So, now I have to buy a tyre, and I dont want to sell the valver anymore.. again..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Re: 2 bad things happened today..

Post by David » 09 May 2010

How bad is the sidewall damage? I have in the past effected a perfectly good repair on the sidewall of a tyre. Lasted a good 20k miles (IE the rest of the life of the tyre) and wasn't a problem.

And you should keep that Valver. It's a cracker! I think I've even got a known-good rack somewhere if you're short of one.... (which I can't imagine you are!)
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 09 May 2010

Very little really, it's literally a hole in the sidewall about 2/3's of the way up. Looks like a nail or some such has pierced it and fallen out...
I thought once a sidewall was holed / damaged it was good night tyre??

Vanny gave me a rack mate, but thanks for the offer. It's more finding the will to do it really..
The sqweeking front end pisses me off aswell, and no amount of lube makes any difference, and GSF will not take the struts back and change them despite them having been noisey from the outset...
Other than that though, I did rather enjoy the drive home in it, all at 69.9 MPH of course :mrgreen:
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 09 May 2010

It's supposed to be goodnight tyre, but if you use a decent size patch and use the contact adhesive properly, it can be very effective. Got to be worth a try!

Also.. If you're losing the will to work on the valver, would it be of benefit to get it up in the air on a 2-poster to change the rack? If so, mosey on down here and you can make use. I'm here till Thursday.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 May 2010

800 miles...........I can understand you being well pissed off Doc.

But, if it's helped you reach a good decision on the valver perhaps every cloud does have a silver lining. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 May 2010

Not sure it's a "good" decision W2G really... It makes no sense having several cars laying around, until something like this happens I guess..
It's expensive to run and always has something that needs fixing... but it is a proper fucking hooligan!

Never repaired a car tyre before, David.. Had them done by Western tyres, but not sure I'd like to have a go myself really, I'd most likely glue myself to it and forever have a REALLY large black finger..

Thats an exceptionally kind offer mate, it really is. Sadly, I'm working all week now... and it's the Bristol bus event on the harbourside next Sunday, so a busy week really...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

David
Part of the decor

Post by David » 10 May 2010

The week after then?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 May 2010

8) That offer is too good to miss Doc. Up in the air makes that job simple. Glad you decided not to dump the valver....you know it makes sense :lol:

Back in the days David, we always repaired sidewall minor damage, even on X plies.
The adhesives wern't as good then so we used to gently rub the area of patch with a red hot bar to make the rubber more receptive. It was the accepted method then, there were even thicker patches for sidewalls and we even plugged on the shoulder.
Health and safety has a lot to answer for. :x

That said we ...err didn't go as fast but more importantly for loading, the cars were generally heavier.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

I dont tend to do more than 70 in the TD, usually...
I'll get the tyre swopped and kep the punctured one I think..

Week after could be a goer I'll see what occurs, it's Dad's birthday on the 18th so I shant be about then, but other than work I dont think I have much on at the mo.
Tis indeed a most generous offer, thanks David, you really are a gentleman!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

David
Part of the decor

Philhod wrote: we even plugged on the shoulder.
I've had this done before now too. A puncture right on the join between the tread and the sidewall. I said to the man "give it a shot would you. No guarantees, and no expectations, and if anyone asks, it was like that when I got the car so I've no idea where it was done"

He fixed it, and it was fine. For another 10k miles.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

So why does everyone get soo narky about fixing holes in sidewalls and shit then? I never did quite get it..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 10 May 2010

Hmmmm, I wonder if this is repairable?

Image Image Image Image

David
Part of the decor

I've driven worse..

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Actually, it probably is. The tyre fitters in work have belted out worse than that on bus rims with a pair of sledge hammers!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

oh, sorry.. I missed the big RED ARROW! Doh.. Bit of sikaflex should see that right!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 10 May 2010

Remember if you need it I have an identical (except not fucked) wheel with an excellent Michelin on...
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 10 May 2010

I think I will take you up on your kind offer thanks, can I swap you a box of beer for it? (In fact the box of beer you left in our garage… :wink: )

Worry not, leaving beer with me for safe keeping is probably the safest place possible. Now if it was wine on the other hand...
Image Image Image Image

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 10 May 2010

I left the beer deliberately, forgetting you didn't drink the stuff :oops:

I shall liberate the wheel next time I go up North...
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 May 2010

:x The HSE has declared it unsafe to tyre companies and to be fair if the work is done haphazardly by some untrained kid, it would be unsafe.
However, done carefully, both types of repair are perfectly safe as has been proved over years of practice.
I've cringed as I have watched kids shoving the awl back and forwards into the tyre, making the hole too big so that the plug will go in easier. Duh!!!
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

David
Part of the decor

yes... this is very much the issue. It's a case of legislation being brought in to cover the stupidity of the average tyre fitter.

Some tyre people are very good at what they do. Others shouldn't be allowed to breathe.