Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
jayw
Part of the decor

Being... Anal

Post by jayw » 09 Jul 2010

Seeing as the brand new BX odometer (with just 2 miles on it) i bought off ebay a few years ago turned out not to fit i decided to disect the one out of the valver and tried to get it to read 000000 miles...

After many hours of fiddling, twisting, spinning and cursing i managed to get it to read 998920 miles, so only 1080 miles to go...

Cue Mr Black & Decker (well, Powerbase), a bodged up rig and quite a few more hours. The drill is currently motoring along at around 65mph and around 6am should have me a brand new 0 miles motor (assuming the cheap nasty drill doesn't burn out) :lol:

Anyone else want their motor clocked? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Being... Anal

Post by Philhod » 09 Jul 2010

8) But if you stick some masking tape across the barrels, remove the clips from the drive and pull it out slightly till it disengages, peel the tape back a barrel at a time and zero it.
Stick the tape back on to keep it straight, re engage the drive fit clips, remove tape.

15 minutes tops :lol:

Err... so I'm told :oops:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

jayw
Part of the decor

Err, yeah that's what i thought until i took it apart. :roll:

Used to be able to do that with the old fords but these are different. The barrels interlock internally and can only be moved as a chain so that doesn't work and the ends of the spindle are burred over so full dissection would result in not being able to hold it together once reassembled. (I dissected another to check the gubbins).

But, come morning all will be sorted!
Almost BX-less

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 09 Jul 2010

Make sure you don't over sleep then otherwise you'll be there for weeks!
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 09 Jul 2010

I've clocked mine before no problems, similalry anal, the speedo had not been working for around 5000 miles, so i added them on, as phil describes. They where a bit wonky till 100000 rolled around but now they are all good!
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

mat_the_cat wrote:Make sure you don't over sleep then otherwise you'll be there for weeks!
Ahhh! I thought about that, not wanting to fall at the last hurdle i've decided to turn the drill off until morning :lol:
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Jul 2010

:? Yeah. I did the old RD like I described. The tape stops the numbers from becoming too wonky, but they are never dead straight anyway.

I ended up scrapping the RD afterall, but then I put the RD engine into the petrol Meteor I bought for £50 and did that one as well. Fuck we are public here....errr err allegedly. :oops:

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 10 Jul 2010

I didn't think there was any rule against clocking a car? I thought the crime came if and when you sold the car you didn't declare the mileage change?
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Jul 2010

Well I did ultimately sell it....... Telling the buyer about the true mileage of course. :wink:

Just didn't say of which car 8)

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 Jul 2010

mat_the_cat wrote:Make sure you don't over sleep then otherwise you'll be there for weeks!
:o That was my thought!! Rig it up to a Dremel..........................!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 10 Jul 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:
:o That was my thought!! Rig it up to a Dremel..........................!
As women rightly say... It's not the speed that's important, just the precision...

The drill could go a lot faster, 140mph+ actually, but the vibration and wobble of the speedo head made that prohibitive, not to mention it would probably have worn the drive out...

Anyways, was a total success, she now reads just ONE mile 8)
Almost BX-less