General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
jayw
Part of the decor

Car stereo...

Post by jayw » 31 Jul 2010

Does anyone know where I can get a decent car stereo with USB and memory card capability (perhaps even solid state memory or HDD) but without a CD Player.

I've found this at www.clasohlson.co.uk

but it's cheap and nasty and i'd like a quality one from a brand name
Almost BX-less

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Re: Car stereo...

Post by Father Ted » 31 Jul 2010

Something like that with a DAB receiver would be rather good - in the meantime I use my stock Nissan radio tape player with my Pure portable DAB running through a soldered 3.5mm plug on fly lead....
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Jul 2010

:) I've been buying stuff from Claes ohlssons for about 16 years now and never had any trouble with their gear.

But if you have this modern fixation that it has to have a name to be any good, go ahead and spend money.

Personally if folks want to stick their name all over stuff, they can pay me to advertise.

Whether a thing works good enough for me, is my only criteria. :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 10 Aug 2010

Methinks plenty of "quality" stuff with a brand name comes from the same factories as the "cheap and nasty" nowadays - there are very few who are manufacturing their own kit for the kind of reasons we all know of.

I'm no fan of branding,..... on the basis that branding begets more branding, all of which needs a premium to cover the costs of brand promotion/advertising etc. etc. Somehow the product itself just gets lost in all this.

Not a sideswipe at anyone, just my own personal rant.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 10 Aug 2010

Philhod wrote:But if you have this modern fixation that it has to have a name to be any good, go ahead and spend money.
The reason i wanted a "brand name" is because i've actually seen the above one in their shop and it was VERY cheap, Korean & plastic, hence wanting something a little nicer that's passed through some kind of QC...
Almost BX-less

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 10 Aug 2010

Fish_Botherer wrote:Methinks plenty of "quality" stuff with a brand name comes from the same factories as the "cheap and nasty" nowadays
I think you're right, but just because it's from the same factory does it mean the same quality?
Take car parts - we used to make water pumps for the OE market (which had lots of QC, better quality components etc) and also for the aftermarket. These would have the same casting, built on the same lines by the same people - but the seals etc would be a cheaper supplier (not necessarily inferior, but to get the OE customers to change was a long process) inspection would be less frequent and in some cases a marginal failure of an OE part would be deemed OK for aftermarket. The latter even meant there would be a distinction between OE parts for the assembly line, and OE parts for spares...
Image Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

I totally agree.

For example, The £350 LCD "Bush" tv i bought which uses the exact same Samsung panel as they're £479 tv. The rest of it is just shiny plastic the same as the Samsung.

Why pay more.

It's like the old days where Alba, Bush, Goodmans, Goldstar (now LG), Venturer, Murphy and a dozen other names were all manufactured by Sanyo. The name is irrelevent, but all brands vary in quality.

Whilst i could argue my old Bang & Olufsen Beocentre 9000 & RL60.2 speakers produced the best quality audio i've ever heard, i'd be hard pressed to tell the difference (at lower volumes) between that and my current Philips WAC3500D.

The point being that the most important internals of the B&O were made by Philips... with a £2000 price difference...

Buy what you like the look of, not because of the namebadge glued to it...
Almost BX-less

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 10 Aug 2010

You know, BXP is turniong me funny.

I KNOW i posted to this thread earlier (saying id bought a similar unit on e-bay for 39 quid and i liked it very much) but the post is gone. I know it was there, i read it through after posting to check my poxy typing skills.

This isnt the first time its happened. About 3 of my posts in as many weeks have dissapeared. Have we got mice in the wiring vanny?
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 Aug 2010

Happened to me too - but I honestly think it's just me!

Can't an MP3 input suffice Jay? Might find more choice that way?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

Stinkwheel(Matt) wrote:You know, BXP is turniong me funny.

I KNOW i posted to this thread earlier (saying id bought a similar unit on e-bay for 39 quid and i liked it very much) but the post is gone. I know it was there, i read it through after posting to check my poxy typing skills.

This isnt the first time its happened. About 3 of my posts in as many weeks have dissapeared. Have we got mice in the wiring vanny?
Well? Baited breath and all that... :wink:
Almost BX-less

catsinthewelder
Getting Started

Post by catsinthewelder » 11 Aug 2010

jayw wrote:I totally agree.

For example, The £350 LCD "Bush" tv i bought which uses the exact same Samsung panel as they're £479 tv. The rest of it is just shiny plastic the same as the Samsung.

Why pay more.

It's like the old days where Alba, Bush, Goodmans, Goldstar (now LG), Venturer, Murphy and a dozen other names were all manufactured by Sanyo. The name is irrelevent, but all brands vary in quality.

Whilst i could argue my old Bang & Olufsen Beocentre 9000 & RL60.2 speakers produced the best quality audio i've ever heard, i'd be hard pressed to tell the difference (at lower volumes) between that and my current Philips WAC3500D.

The point being that the most important internals of the B&O were made by Philips... with a £2000 price difference...

Buy what you like the look of, not because of the namebadge glued to it...
I used to work at the Phillips factory in Durham making Cathode Ray Tubes for TV sets and we supplied Bang and Olufsen amongst many others :mrgreen:

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 11 Aug 2010

catsinthewelder wrote:I used to work at the Phillips factory in Durham
Durham...hmmm. [chin] It's all becoming clearer.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Aug 2010

it is!
Either they were seperated at birth, or they really are one and the same!
Holy ghost, spirit, father and all that shit going down??
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 11 Aug 2010

Durham? But that be where JD is from................. :shock: I kid thee not
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 11 Aug 2010

Exactly, my feathered friend!
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 11 Aug 2010

Ooops, for some reason I thought Doc was referring to B&O and Philips being separated at birth. Fuck, I need stronger tablets....... :(

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 11 Aug 2010

jayw wrote:
Stinkwheel(Matt) wrote:You know, BXP is turniong me funny.

Well? Baited breath and all that... :wink:
You're not expecting me to actually post it again are you? Basically search Beat 175 on evil bay and you will see what i got for me'sen.

Its OK quality and so much better than a CD player that jumps.

I hope this post doesnt dissapear.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 11 Aug 2010

Use a computer and posts dont get lost. There is no problem that i can find this end.
ImageImage

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane » 11 Aug 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:Durham? But that be where JD is from................. :shock: I kid thee not
Strange but true :lol:
Jonathan.

Working vehicle: 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5

Broken: GS 1220 Estate, Tomos Noped several MZ's, David Brown 30D.

catsinthewelder
Getting Started

Post by catsinthewelder » 12 Aug 2010

Which bit of Durham are you from? I used to live right at the s***h of the city near where the 'Cock O The North' pub used to be.