Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

So, retiring from car work isn't going well then...

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Jul 2010

Having decided some time ago I was too old to be arsing around with cars anymore, I set about saying NO to any cunt that asked for help with car related things..

Sadly I'm friends with lots of people that aren't cunts so:
This is the sump plug froma 43K miles Saxo, owned and driven it's whole life by The Stig.
The clutch, gearbox and both driveshafts were fucked.
Pile of wankered bits.
Nice easy job to replace the relevant bits though, and it drives quite nicelt now.. For a few minutes.

Next up, Smiffy's biblical car:
Bit of a hole there then...
Thus far I've only sone one side, so the N/S hole / repipe will have to wait for another day.
At least he wont fall through the hole anymore:
Complete with new fuel pipes..

Few days back the TD started sounding even worse than it has for a while, and I pulled the cam belt cover off duely noting the belt was trying to escape off the injection pump pulley..
So I stripped it out, discovered the water pump was wankered (not old) so I stuffed another pump in complete with new belt.
The belt still ran off the edge of the inj. pump pulley though. I suspect the nose bearing has failed and allowing the pulley to run on the cock..
Anyhow, today on the way to the farm, it dumps all it's water, again, and sounds EVEN worse than before.
Arrive at the farm and decide enough. I'm sick to death of this engine, ok, I should never have tuned the fuck out of it, but for a £2.5K recon engine it's been nothing but trouble from the moment it went in.. So, it's going in the bin.
To be replaced by the engine in the background that came out of Mat's crashed BX. I know this engine, it's a good un, standard bar an NA cam I threw in a year back, and thats how it will stay. 90BHP is fine.
I hate this engine...
The TD is dead, long live the TD..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

jayw
Part of the decor

Re: So, retiring from car work isn't going well then...

Post by jayw » 31 Jul 2010

I'll give you hand in the mornin' then mate :lol:
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Jul 2010

Morning?? Morning>>
What time of day are you intending to arrive dude? Will I need to set the alarm clock?!

The replacement lump wont be going in tomorrow, once the lumps out I intend to replace the octopus (it's fine, but ya know..), dosiuer valve, security valve, HC and all the other shit thats hard to get at..
Rekit the shafts, clutch etc etc...
Few of said I have in stock so it'll go back in next weekend most likely..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 01 Aug 2010

docchevron132 wrote:Morning?? Morning>>
What time of day are you intending to arrive dude? Will I need to set the alarm clock?!
What time do the pubs open? :lol: :lol:

I don't know man... depends whether there are prevailing winds... If you ain't there i'll just sleep :mrgreen:
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Aug 2010

Sadly I'm friends with lots of people that aren't cunts
I know what you mean :lol: :lol: but I would not be sad if I had lot's of mates that were'nt cunts.
[chin] Although I would be even happier if I had lots of mates that had cunts :wink:

I had a similar thing with the belt on the old RD. it was the pump brg. It wasn't just worn, it was absolutely fucked. :)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 01 Aug 2010

Jay, REALLY did mean, MORNING.. He made it up well before me, but what a quality site to greet me upon arrival!

Fucking awesome!! [bow] [clap]

IT must be said that neither of us had much enthusiasm, but eventually we stared at the gearbox until it fell out:
Farewell tall gearing... For now anyway..

Suddenly the mighty tuned massive turbo'd shagged heap seems less impressive:

Bit of forklifting and there it is, sad and dead..
The inj. pump was infact utterly wankered. It has no resistance at all, infact I dont honestly know how the fuck the engine ran at all..
It does make some very odd sounds whilst spinning the pulley though, so I'll strip it down when I get bored, just to see WTF occurred..

Still, leaves plenty of room in there now to do some fettling to shit which is more difficult when there's an engine in the way:
This far the list is: Clutch, cam belt, water pump, diff seals, oils, filters, octopus, HC, security valve (in stock thanks to Jay), FDV (also thanks to Jay), PR, fuel pipes, Glow plugs, exhaust fixing kit, driveshaft gaitors, bottom engine mount, gear selector rods, radiator, twin fans, and er, other stuff I forget...

Did get the dosieur from Vanny fitted though, no bad thing since the original was leaking badly.. Although it was the original valve, one of the few remaining bits that were..

Thanks to Jay for driving across the country to supply an FDV, and the beer!, and the usual suspects, Dad and JDizzle for moral support / piss taking!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 01 Aug 2010

I didn't do nowt... I was convinced that staring at it all would make it all fall out... :roll:

However, i'm pleased to report i'm starting to acquire a bit of a liking for "proper" beer... :mrgreen:
Almost BX-less

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 01 Aug 2010

docchevron132 wrote:JDizzle for immoral support / pissing!
Fixored!
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 02 Aug 2010

jayw wrote: However, i'm pleased to report i'm starting to acquire a bit of a liking for "proper" beer... :mrgreen:
[clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

Good man!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 03 Aug 2010

It dawned on me this arvo whilst chatting to Manny over a brew with a long list of required bits that the replacement engine from Mat's car has bolt on covers..
Which must mean it's a 19TD, not a 17TD.. So it looks like I'm joining the exclusive 19TD club!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 03 Aug 2010

:D Mycket, mycket bra min herr. Vill du gå mehr ingenöring med de her 19? eller inte?
Sorry about that. it`s this feckin Swedish computer. Got here yesterday afternoon in beautiful warm sunshine and had a barbie straight away.
Unfortunately they have accused me of bringing the Engelsk weather as it has persisted down all day today. it just stopped 1/2 an hour ago. Mind you, it`s 1/4 past 9 now and it`s still 20 degrees, so far from cool. :roll:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Aug 2010

Hey Doc, nice work mate. Why not fit your uber big ported head and just have a wee turbo or tune it less to fuck mate?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 07 Aug 2010

I've heard (from one of the foreign lads on BXC) that some of the late BXs has bolt on covers, and some water pump listings I've seen show the 1.9TD pump (only difference AFAIK being for the timing cover fixings) as also being listed for the BX.
Not that I'm trying to piss on your fire or owt, to keep the 1.9TD club more exclusive! :P I've put the clip on covers on the Xantia engine, I find them easier to remove whilst in situ.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 08 Aug 2010

I thought about fitting the big valve head, but then thought, fuck it, this engine is known to be good, so dont fuck it about, for now...

You're right Mat! The lack of a damper on the end of the crank should have given it away, but it didn't until today..
It is indeed a VERY late 17TD from a Pug of some description, it was fitted in Mat Parkers BX a few years before he bought it, now it's in mine!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 08 Aug 2010

If it makes any difference mate, now I've made a wee adjustment to the pump on mine (and there's oodles left if you like it black!), it takes the longer gears quite well - not desperately quick but comfortably.

So, with your ..........er........big head and even a stock turbo and a Bosch pump you'd be ok with dem gears. I have a 1.7TD Bosch for you with new injectors and pump seals.........1.9 is better but I don't have one for you...............yet!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 09 Aug 2010

Lucas pump is a ballache to fuck about with fuelling..
I could put the big valve head on it I guess.. But the important thing right now is that it works. It runs, it drives, ok the clutch slips like a well lubed pole dancing $20 crack whore but I did spill rather alot of diesel over it, so it'll burn off...
But christ does it feel slow compared to the old engine.. Normal gearing now aswell.. I mean, it's a perfectly normal TD now, and drives just fine for a normal TD, but it feels SO FUCKING SLOW compared to the arsedaboutwith lump..
But, I'll get used to it, and it may even last a bit longer..

Ta for the pump offer though dude! Thats enormousley generous of thee, and I can infact put it to good use, since the pump on Phoenix is dying...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 09 Aug 2010

Well it's better on summat than on my bench but there are two minor issues. 1) It needs a small but easy to fit part (cuz I broke it..) and it'll need setting up from scratch as I lost all the settings BUT, I can help thee out with both...........

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Aug 2010

nay worries, I'm getting quite good at rebuilding Bosch pumps..
And it'll need setting up anyhow since diesel auto timing is a tad retarded over manual timing, and Dad loves to fiddle with the pump...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 Aug 2010

Right ok dude, tis yours. I'll bring it with me/tell you more about it at Stratty. You want 10k (or less) old Bosch Injectors mate? Bought new from GSF and run for a short while until the TGD came off the road!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Aug 2010

ooh yes please, absolutely. I'll throw some sobs your way for them mate.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance